Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical COWL VENTS

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Aug 15, 2020.

1. Pictures or it didn't happen.:):)

Mick

cfmvw likes this.
  2. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

@bchrismer & I, cowl vents open, on the way to HAMB Drags a couple of years ago..... stopped to visit the famous @povertyflats, taker of this pic. Bret&Me-Paul Kruse.jpg

3. Well, it truly was a "dress up" day. LOL

47ragtop likes this.
  4. badvolvo

badvolvo

I love em, but... Engine set back on my Coupe didn't allow it, so it is filled. BUT I got wing vents!!

5. Retrorod

Retrorod

My 35 sedan still has a working cowl vent, it leaks a bit in the rain even with a brand new gasket but it isn’t too bad. After I put the a/c in the car the original lever wouldn’t work so I put a servo on it and operate the vent with a switch in the glovebox. Even with the a/c it saved our bacon on our last Route 66 trip...sometimes you just don’t need air conditioning.

LAROKE likes this.
  6. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I tried to use a electric headlight motor to actuate a vent when I put a/c in my Dodge panel and could not get it to seal well enough. The original mechanisms usually go over center to pull tight against the seal.

7. cshades

cshades
    from wi

even with a/c i like my cowl vent(s) i have a friend with a 32 5 window that the vent was filled when he bought it. we got a brookfield roadster repair vent section and i cut out the top and replaced it. it was filled very poorly, they hammered the vent down and then proceeded to cover it in a nice thick layer of lead. the car is black with no air so you can image how much he enjoys having the vent

8. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The only car I owned with a cowl vent was my ‘37 Packard. The relief it provided sure helped on hot summer days, even at low speed...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  9. useful except for hitting yer head on the handle if working under the dash.....c'mon ..must have happened to somebody else!!!

10. Shamus

Shamus
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I had the cowl on my 1st series '55 PU filled, put in Vintage AC. Realized the benefits of the cowl vent in a '38 Chev coupe I had (it had Vintage AC), so decided to put it back during it's current re-do. Put an electric opener to facilitate the AC. Hope it all works when finished. Have no mods on the roadster so it still has the vent w/AC behind it. Love those vents.

11. The cowl vent on my 32 roadster was filled at some point in time. It was leaded but has low spots. I had been debating whether or not to try to repair what I have, but I believe I will cut it out and replace it . I have an original vent and cowl top that was in the pile of parts when I bought the car.

12. DaveK87

DaveK87

Mine was installed by the previous owner after the earlier owner had filled it in! I sure do enjoy it

AEA67144-D24C-42A3-9F05-D5FC339B2336.jpeg

13. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

I found out the hard way with a swarm in my '33 2door. I now have a '34 door that comes with a screen.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2020
  14. I still have the cowl vent in mine even with the A/C. It does leak a little- but that is due mostly to my poor engineering when I converted it to power to allow room for the A/C unit.I find I use the cowl vent in conjunction with a window for two lane cruising and early daytime when it’s cooler out.If I am on the super slab on a hot afternoon- the windows go up, the vent closes and on comes the A/C. Would not be without the cowl vent if possible

dirty old man likes this.
  15. My 31 Pontic doesn't have one. I cut a donor out of a 41 Chevy. Been sitting there about 9 years as im having a hard time bringing myself to cut the cowl.

LAROKE likes this.
  16. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

LAROKE and lothiandon1940 like this.
  17. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

got the ccowl vent working in my 38,i love it.only problem i had with it was getting springs,in the end i used 2 lokar trottle return springs in stainless ,works well

18. camcrusher

camcrusher
    from Candor, NY

"Hotter than monkey love"! I nearly pissed my pants laughing about it. I've never heard that one before.