Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Cowl vent mechanism?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by daddio211, Oct 31, 2013.

1. daddio211

daddio211

Looking for advice. Having driven multiple roadsters with and without cowl vents they're a necessity in my book. In building my wife's T roadster I'd like to convert the original cowl fuel door into a cowl vent.

In doing so, I'm looking for suggestions on how to build a handle and locking mechanism to open/close it easily from the driver's seat. Brookeville makes them but damn expensive. My '55 F100 had one as well, and I'm certain there are 1000 more cars that did too.

So lets hear it. Is there one that's easily obtainable that could be modified to work? Have you built your own and are you willing to share your ideas? Heck, do you have an old one you'd be willing to sale?

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

2. The one on my 37 Willys is very simple, will get a pic of one tomorrow.JW

3. daddio211

daddio211

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

The early F6 cab I had used one. Maybe one of the F series suppliers has a used one.

5. The one for a 32 Ford & 33-34 Ford Truck would be a simple adaptation I think. They are pretty straightforward. They repo all the parts for them I am pretty sure, Speedway sells a fiberglass lid and some of the other parts.

6. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

I had thought this out a little for my car and was going to use a curved alternator bracket welded to a base to mount to the vent, a bolt with spring and make a handle. I dunno if that's enough info to picture it but that was my plan..

7. daddio211

daddio211

56don, thanks. I've got the steel door, I just need the mechanism to make it all work. I suppose I could build something, but for $50 maybe this would save me all of that trouble: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/1932-F...-Kit,8451.html

That's a good idea, but I'm thinking adjusting it at highway speeds could be difficult.

8. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Adjust tension on the bolt with a spring through it, put the handle in a comfy enough spot you could adjust at any speed.

9. daddio211

daddio211

Paul, initially I imagined the adjustability you mentioned being on the firewall...

Rethinking what you said it would be better suited mounted on the dash. Hmmm, wing nut maybe?

Attached Files:

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

a second on '32. It is very short fore and aft, which you will need. I don't have one here at work to describe, but I think mounting will come down to 2 simple tabs with a hole in each...the ratchet is simple and self contained, with a little spring pulling the teeth into the notches.

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

12. Model T1

Model T1

For my 1948 Chevy panel truck I bought a small electric motor kit at a Daytona Speedway Turkey Rod run vendor. I'm sure they are available many places. Push the remote once and the vent opens half way. Push again to full open. Once more to closed. Kool!
    That way there is no handle to be in the way of the AC.
    Ooops. Not traditonal but in Florida it's helpful and I still like vents on top and on the side.

Don't do like a friend did with his Model A with fuel tank removed. He gased it up the old way---once!

13. Hi Eric, This is the Willys item and they don't come more basic that that. You could put more notches where needed. JW
    [​IMG]

14. dirtracer06

dirtracer06

1934 ford pickup...

Attached Files: