Register now to get rid of these ads!

cowl identification?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskoolflyer13, Dec 16, 2010.

1. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Traded wide 5 brake drums for this cowl......not sure what year or manufacture it is. Was hoping to get a little assistance.

cowl is one piece and gas tank mounts from the inside, no data plates

Attached Files:

2. 117harv

117harv

Open car model A the dash rail has a swoop at the ends. The dash rail appears to be a 30-31. The tank stampings and gauge mount area look model A to me. I did some checking and it doesn't appear to be A but not sure. Anyone else?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  3. eddie1

eddie1

I don't know what it is but it is not a 28-29 Model A.

4. Nope - 28/29 Model A have a removable gas tank in the upper cowl.
    Its not a 30/31 either for the same reason. Possible canadian version??

5. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I have a 29 Model A.....not the same. I have tried to compare essex, nash, chevy, and such....having trouble finding a picture of original cowl with original firewall....someone knows what this is

6. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

firewall is is composed of three different sections and bolts together above and below the skinny mid section. The guy I traded with had no idea of its make either. Adds some fun to figuring it out....but one can only google so much

7. Whatever it is it looks like a pretty sweet starting point! Looks good and solid.

8. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

its pretty solid, no major rust through, just a dent and a hole in the driver side.....but overall pretty good. I had intention of putting it on a slim fast diet and using it on a speedster.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28 or 29 Model A FORDOR Sedan Cowl. Made by the Murray company...

Coupes, Tudors, and Vics are ALL different than the Fordor models.

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a good example...

[​IMG]

11. 34FordConv

34FordConv

ScooterMcrad Beat me to it ! 28-29 Model A town sedan.

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yours looks like a '29 to me, based on the firewall.

Tanks were just totally different in the Fordor models also.

I agree! It will make a GREAT speedster cowl! Been thinking of doing something like that myself and starting with a 28/29 fordor Cowl.

13. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

I had even thought about it being a Murray.....obviously thats as far as I got on that. Appreciate the help gentleman! Now the hard part will be keeping this on the back burner while I get started on my 29 Sport Coupe

14. 34FordConv

34FordConv

Check out some pictures of the Phateon as well. Hard to tell if the windshield posts in your pictures were cut?

15. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

The stamping that comes over the top will go great on a speedster...and being a '29...even better, cause the chassis will be donated from my sport coupe. I think its a omen...just like the pack of camel lights I bought yesterday that featured the Salt Flats

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nope! Hard to tell with the lighting in pictures, but looks like a closed car cowl. The dash has an offset so air can vent into the car when the windshield is open. Looks like A pillars were cut off.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another clue to the year might be where the column drop is located. Not sure if 29's were mounted to the tank or the dash support rail. Later were mounted to the support rail instead of the tank. I believe for safety reasons.

18. oldskoolflyer13

oldskoolflyer13

Im gonna agree with scooter....plus on the phaeton it looks like the stamping is a bit different where it starts the up sweep that goes over the top. More pics included of pillars. Sorry about the lighting...bare feet on cold cement make for fast pictures

Attached Files: