Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cow Town Coach works today in the shop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tbauer, Mar 9, 2013.

1. tbauer

tbauer

I wanted to share some of the metal work that is going on in my shop. I'll try to keep it all HAMB friendly. Thanks! Here are some 1959 Buick patch panels that install between the rear of the door and the wheel well.

480_480_480_480_480_480_480_DSC00066.JPG

480_DSC00068.JPG

480_480_480_DSC00070.JPG
    Using a rubberband on English Wheel

480_480_DSC00072.JPG

480_480_480_59 buick 005.JPG

480_59 buick 007.JPG

480_480_59 buick 006.JPG

2. tbauer

tbauer

Here are some pieces for a 1930 delivery. These pieces go inside the van by the rear doors and hold the trim panels against the wall. They are about 40 inches tall and made out of 18 gauge steel. The wall panels are held in place by the bead work along the edges. i made two but some how didn't take a photo of both of them.

Attached Files:

3. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

nice looking work.

4. HotRodHighley

HotRodHighley
    from cincy, oh

5. BillyM

BillyM

Very nice....more pictures please!

6. tbauer

tbauer

Here is a trim panel that goes inside the car above the wind shield on a 1936 ford. The primer one is an original. This panel holds a radio speaker,wipers ,inside sun visors and the head liner in place. They tend to rust away due to the cloth top inserts leaking on these cars. I usually start with a paper pattern , then it was cut out and the edge bent upward on the english wheel. There is a quarter inch fold on the flat edge for strength.

Attached Files:

7. tbauer

tbauer

Here is a 1936 ford fender i'm building from scratch. I had a passenger side fender so I had to make a reverse buck to work from.

Attached Files:

8. That's some extremely nice work. HRP

9. tbauer

tbauer

Thanks, I enjoy making something tangible for flat sheet metal

10. swimeasy

swimeasy

That is cool!

11. tbauer

tbauer

Here are some custom fender skirts for a 1952 plymouth. I just made a pattern out of cardboard transferred it to metal adding 1 half inch all the way around. Then I english wheeled it a little to give them shape and strength. Then I bent the half inch flange inward to finish the edges. They look like helmets because the front of the fender is lower than the rear. But I'm sure there are other ways to finish the bottom.

Attached Files:

12. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

very nice creative fab work ! thanks for sharing :)

13. tbauer

tbauer

Today I made these radiator brackets for a 1936 ford. These brackets rust out or are usually just missing.

Attached Files:

14. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

amazing! im dead stuck on my build. sheetmetal shaping escapes me, my confidence is shrinking daily....:( i took some pics of a couple 36 toe boards for you but its hard to post with my phone, so pm me your email address and ill send them.

15. alchemy

alchemy

For the '59 Buick part, are you using the wooden thing with a handle like a Pullmax? Just carve your die out of oak and start whacking at it?

16. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

17. EliteS&C

EliteS&C

Wow! Damn nice fab work!

18. tbauer

tbauer

Here are a set of 1934 Oldsmobile running boards. They are each formed from one piece of 18 gauge sheet. Most of the work is done on the english wheel with a rubber band attached. I also used a tipping die on a bead roller to bend the flanges. i hope the multiple curves and bends are visible in the pictures, I find it difficult to photograph bare metal objects.

Attached Files:

19. tbauer

tbauer

Here is a door bottom for a 41' Ford panel truck. The door is up side down for these pictures. I left one side long so the customer could decide where to cut the panel in. There are a lot of curves going on here I hope the pictures show just how much.

Attached Files:

20. Thanks for sharing! AWESOME.

21. tbauer

tbauer

I'm working on some 1933 Chevrolet fender skirts. I haven't quite figured out how to form the three raised spears on the outside or the rolled edge that holds the skirt on the fender. Any help from the HAMB metal gods would be appreciated .

Attached Files:

22. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Pre stretch and use a bead roller to do the spears. They almost look like a Pullmax louver. If so, I might be able to help you out. I can't see enough detail on the outside edge to answer your question on that!

23. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Without giving away any trade secrets, what does it cost the customer when you make such high quality parts like that fender. The reason, I ask is because I just don't think most folks -even some car folks-understand what it takes to restore with that that level of craftsmanship.

24. Nice work! thanks for posting it!

25. tbauer

tbauer

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Tim , I would love to visit you and your shop. The spears taper off from front to back, so I am thinking of making a hammer form. But if you think the Pullman can do it I would appreciate your help.

19fordy it's difficult to estimate the price on hand made parts, these will cost between $750.00 and $1000.00 when complete. There are many hours in the process from pattern to finished piece. And they need to fit the car!

26. tbauer

tbauer

Todays project are a set of fenders. I'm using a set of reproduction fiberglass ones to get patterns from. I map out on the metal where to stretch and/or shrink. I try to make bigger sections so there is less welding. Welding will distort the shape and require additional work. These sections are 11 inches wide and 48 inches long from front to back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  27. Irrational Metalworks

Irrational Metalworks
    Alliance Vendor
    from DFW

Teds having fun today! Great start on the fenders.

28. tbauer

tbauer

I spent some more time on the fenders this week .

29. tbauer

tbauer

lets try again

Attached Files:

• 0.jpeg
      0.jpeg
      File size:
      7.5 KB
      Views:
  30. damn nice stuff ur doing....gonna put Forwurth on the metal working and making map !!!