Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Covering a Project Car, What to Use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -Brent-, Nov 3, 2020.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

I currently have 2 projects in the shop. In order to have space for the hot rod project, I need to finish the other one.

I'd like to cover the car while it sits. At first, I was just going to grab a plastic drop cloth but read that it will trap moisture. I don't want that as the chassis is all raw.

It would be nice to cover it to keep it protected and somewhat clean. Plus, if it's covered, I'm more likely to keep my focus on this OT project I've been neglecting for years.

What would you guys suggest?

2. cheap breathable car cover?

guthriesmith and -Brent- like this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Indoors or outdoors?

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Explain your shop enviroment.

5. This is what I use but it does not get left on all the time. Covers just do too much harm.

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Sorry guys, wasn't thinking about all that.

The car is in sealer and the chassis is all raw steel. I just wanted to toss something over it to cover it. I hadn't thought about breathability. I was thinking about a canvas drop cloth after looking around and seeing what I have.

Indoors.

Two car garage/shop. It's a workspace. It's a block building. Not tons of sparks but there's work taking place. It gets cold. It's dry here. I have stuff that's been blasted a couple years ago that's still fresh-looking.

---

If it were finished, I'd put something appropriate. I'm not concerned with scratches or anything like that. More than anything, when I read that a plastic sheet could cause rust, I thought I'd see what you all thought.

7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I had some old scaffolding that I put around the perimeter of my coupe, and then draped tarps over that. None of the tarps were touching the car, and they provided protection from sparks and most dust. You could probably rig up something similar with some PVC for the framework.

Tim likes this.
  8. Thats a good idea

Tim likes this.
  9. little red 50

little red 50

Park it on some thick plastic sheet, then do what corn fed says. I would think that would be good. Be careful with any sparks.

10. I used to use army surplus reserve chutes. They were cheap and definitely 'breathable'...

-Brent- likes this.
  11. I've been using old cotton bed sheets for years to cover my motorcycles and roadster. Never had any issues.

12. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go to Goodwill and get some bedspreads or quilts. Or go to horrible freight and get some of those cheapy moving blankets. You can use any of these over again. And if they get too dirty or wet, you can just take them to the laundromat. Gene.

dirty old man and -Brent- like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Along the same lines as the pvc I’ve hung a tarp from the ceiling in front of the car just to wall it off

-Brent- likes this.
  14. RmK57

RmK57

I use shipping blankets to cover everything. Heavy enough so they can take the odd little knock without damaging your car. Paint on both my cars is less than perfect also which makes them a good alternative.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    -Brent- likes this.
  15. Budget36

Budget36

Wonder how a paint drop cloth would work? Inexpensive, not sure if they breathe or not though

-Brent- likes this.
  16. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

-Brent- likes this.