Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Coupster registration question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Painfulbanter, Mar 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

Do I call it a coupe or roadster with DMV? If I have to do a light and brake test and they see a coupe, it could cause problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coupe (CP). It is not now, nor will it ever be a roadster. That is a different body. You just cut the roof off a coupe.

Why would you have to do a brake and light test?

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they question "coupe" tell them exactly what Gimpy said, "coupe with the top cut off and give the impression that you might put a top back on later even though you never will in most cases.
    It won't matter if you go to sell it because 75% of folks looking at it will know exactly what it is anyhow.

4. 5window

5window

Are we missing a photo or something here?

5. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I should have added that I didn't cut off the roof, and that I plan to do a thread soon. I'm not trying to trick anyone. DMV on the other hand can be difficult to navigate.

6. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

7. catdad49

catdad49

Check to see what there designations are. They may only list 2 door, 4 door, etc. without being very specific. Good Luck.

tb33anda3rd and F&J like this.
  8. 5window

5window

Thanks for the photo. Maybe you have to go with what it is, not what it was. Even if you'd cut the top off, I wouldn't call it a coupe. DMV might make you register it as a reconstructed vehicle?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    F&J likes this.
  9. F&J

F&J

I agree, find out what few designations they will allow in Cal.

I agree, you should not list it as what it once was, but what it is now. The written designation is for visual identification for Law Enforcement. That is no longer a coupe body style, and does not look like a coupe.

My 32 former 5w coupe is now legally registered in CT as "conv". It sure doesn't look like a coupe anymore. Long ago in my state, there would have been more allowable designations, like "convertible coupe" or "convertible sedan", which were factory sales terms used many decades ago, but they now have made the choices very limited, and "conv" is now used by CT DMV here for both.
    DSCN0007.JPG

catdad49, tb33anda3rd and 5window like this.
  10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

11. banginona40

banginona40

Maybe call it a Sports Coupe and you havn't installed the top yet!

Painfulbanter likes this.
  12. Are you going for a special construction title? if so I bet you can call it what you want.If you have a current title I would think it will remain what it is.Guys convert 55-57 Chevy 4 doors to 2 doors,but the car remains what it was on the title.We all have seen customs so wild that you cant tell what it started as,but they remain what they first registered as.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I literally handle this, as an agent of The State of California.

It gets registered as what it started life as.

Also, you need to do your paperwork BEFORE beginning your project, not after.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your advice may be correct for Connecticut, but it is not correct for California.

15. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Since you are getting a lot of advice, much of it inapplicable, or flat-out wrong, and from other states, I will run you through my standard questionnaire. I am a California Licensed and Bonded Vehicle Verifier, and I am not guessing.

1. What supporting documents do you have to prove ownership of this vehicle?
    2. Are any of those documents ones that were issued by The State of California?
    3. Have you verified that the numbers on the state-issued documents match the ones on the vehicle, in the proper locations (In this case, engine block, and left frame rail, adjacent to the body mount.), and that they are the OEM stamping?
    4. If you do not have state-issued supporting documents (title, old registration, old plates, etc), are you prepared to bring the complete vehicle to CHP for a tear-down inspection to verify the serial numbers?

Yes, I said tear-down. The serial number that CHP will be looking to find is between the body and the frame. They will be taking the body off of the frame. No, you don't get to supervise. If there is an issue at that point, you don't get the car back.

If that is a boxed and modified stock frame, you should be fine, provided that you verified with the DMV that the serial number was clear, prior to purchase.

If it is an aftermarket frame, you will need the Manufacturers-Statement-of-Origin (MSO), and all of the other documents described in the SPCNS program: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/spcnsreg

As for the body style, you have one, of other of the Model As that had a soft top, with a wood structure, and were not a cabriolet or convertible (e.g: special/business coupe/sport coupe). It is hard to say with no top on it.

If there is a records mismatch between any existing records regarding how this vehicle was previously titled, and how you obtained the current paperwork, your title and registration can be revoked (true in all 50-states, for you California bashers).

You can apply for a body style change AFTER it is titled as what it began life as, not before.

As for what body style that it gets registered as as a specially constructed vehicle, of that is your route, that is up to the inspector, not you.

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

sounds like even more reasons not to live in california

RDR, chargin03 and low down A like this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Right. Stay where you are.

catdad49, nochop and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  18. adam401

adam401

That body looks a little on the rough side. If that were mine I would give myself a period of time to collect some extra panels maybe a rough coupe body and combine the 2. Build a coupe. A piece here, a piece there ya know they come together. Good luck
    I have no knowledge of what you should do at the DMV but I have built a coupster. I think they can be cool but if I were to do it again I would have put a roof back on.

gimpyshotrods and missysdad1 like this.
  19. low down A

low down A

more of this nazi your going to hot rod prison bullshit. F&J got it. title it for what it is now a roadster and you don't need to make excuses or imply to anyone other wise.

20. The37Kid

The37Kid

It had rollup windows in the doors at some time Roadster NEVER DID.

Bob

21. adam401

adam401

That was a very informative post that took some time to type. Thanks for taking the time to do that. There's the answer. Thread over.

gimpyshotrods and warbird1 like this.
  22. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not over.

I really want his answers. It looks like he's going to need some guidance in navigating the DMV.

I am happy to help. He is beyond my travel range, but I can give as much information as is possible here.

If what I can give him for advice helps others in CA, then all the better.

5window likes this.
  23. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. I am literally bonded and licensed by this state to take care of things such as this, and to provide this advice.

I am an actual agent of the state.

You are literally talking out of your ass, again.

Do you think that your snotty attitude makes your fanciful ideas superior to my certified knowledge of the law?

Torana68 likes this.
  24. missysdad1

missysdad1

If the body shown is one of the open-topped cars with wooden inner structure you might want to look elsewhere if all the wood is gone and you are not a skilled fabricator. Without a steel inner structure there just isn't very much there to build on because it was all put together with nails and screws. It can be done, sure, but if you are not an experienced builder you'll find yourself over your head very quickly.

Even if you should decide to replace the original wood with new wood the structure won't be very strong without the top structure and upper door frames. My coupester was built from a Sport Coupe (I think...) by somebody who had no idea what he was doing and ended up being a very poor hot rod - too flimsy with no way to make it strong without a complete make-over. I still have lots of work to do to correct as many of the previous builder's mistakes as I can, but it will never be as good as a coupester made from a real, welded-together coupe.

[​IMG]

5window and gimpyshotrods like this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well yeah, and there is this.

26. Painfulbanter

Painfulbanter

I have a bill of sale with matching Vin on all three places. I've checked with DMV and the VIN is not on record cause it's been so long.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  27. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

As soon as you guys start talking shit to / at each other it gets closed.
    2nd one we closed today because a few fellas.

5window, F&J, warbird1 and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.