Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Couple questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by baspinall, Jun 26, 2018.

1. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Couple questions as I proceed on this build.

1. I'm building a 29 Coupe and just starting to put the body back together. Plan is to work from the cowl back on the subframe. When you guys put the body together do you use any type of welting in between the panels or just bolt metal to metal?
    Any special bolts? I just planned on getting various length 1/4 bolts with washers and nylon nuts.

2. I was talking to Bob Moon my media blaster guy and he advised me to use my welder hooked up to the 220V all the time. He said even with small wire patches and such they run with a much better arc on 220. Is this true?

TIA - I posted on my build thread but don't think it was seen.

Brian

2. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

3. off the top of my head i would say welting between:
    firewall and tank/cowl top
    splash aprons/front fenders
    splash aprons/running boards
    splash aprons/rear fenders
    running boards/rear fenders
    rear fender/body
    something between headlight bar and front fenders
    taillight stands/rear fender(s)
    i am probably forgetting some.....
    Chappy

4. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

So no welting between roof pieces or quarter panel to roof pieces correct?

5. I have a '30 sedan and the only remains of any welting was around the tank and the body to frame. but there was not much left of it by the time I got it.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. 5window

5window

Rats. I thought this was going to be how to communicate with my wife! Hot rodders often do everything differently. You might just want to double check things over on the Fordbarn before you start. Just be nice. They're a lot touchier over there than the HAMB.

7. alchemy

alchemy

As said above, only place for welting is around the tank, and fenders. Nothing was originally used in bolting the panels of the body together. But make sure you paint it well in between there before assembly since water could get in there and rust again. Maybe even squirt a bead of seam sealer in the joint as you are bolting it together the last time would help keep the water out of the seams and your interior.

baspinall likes this.
  8. baspinall

baspinall
    from SE PA

Yeah I din't think there was anything there originally. Will use seam sealer for final assembly .