Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects couple questions regarding T5 to 1971 250. too small a clutch?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by morecowbell, Oct 25, 2016.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

hey all,

Working on mating an 86 S10 T5 to my 1971 Chevy 250. The engine came with the stock 3 speed with what appears to be about a 10 inch or so clutch setup. I got the clutch setup for an 86 Astro Van v6 and it was too large at 11 inches. Returned it and it got the one for a 4 cyl which is now smaller (9.125 inches or so). I can use the OEM Clutch cover with the new astro van smaller disc - is this ok to do? I don't want to have to change the flywheel and bellhousing. Am I missing an option for a clutch setup with 14 splines for a T5 and the same 10 inches as the stock clutch disc?

Lastly the throwout bearing that came with the clutch kit is signicantly shorter than the stock one. Which is the correct one to use? Sorry for newb questions but this is my first time with this. I've read and read the myriads of T5 threads on here and other sites which are very helpful, though I do get confused with all the differing options.

Thank you for any help.
    - jason

2. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

looks like i found my answer - the fenco cp 4201 clutch disc. sorry for premature posting.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What is most important is that you came back and posted the PART NUMBER of what you found, so the next guy can find it.

bobg1951chevy likes this.