Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Coupe door jamb finish

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, May 8, 2017.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Okay still trying to find out how the door jamb of the model a coupe should be finished. As you can see by these pics, when i got the car they had been spot welded in a few places. For them to be finished properly, are they meant to be finish welded all the way? i see the holes for the nails to go to the wood. Were they meant to be welded at all? Looked online a bunch looking for pics to see how they are usually done but havent found anything at this point. Some guidance would be great. thanks
    IMG_2447.JPG IMG_2448.JPG

biggeorge and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

My coupe didn't have any welds on it. I put a couple of spot welds on it and ground them down after I put in all new nails. There are no rules with a hot rod and you can finish it any way you would like!

3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

As you can see all those small holes were for nails, but as mentioned above your choice as to how you finish it.
    There was wood in the pillar which from memory served as a base for nailing the panel and also the trim.
    Show us what you chose to do...

4. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

interesting. i am assuming the nails go through both pieces then tying them together to finish? thinking i like the idea of welding it in place. clean up the weld flat and then put the nails in. Any pics of how guys have finished this area would be great. thanks

5. alchemy

alchemy

If it was mine I'd weld all the joint and the nail holes. I would put a few screws from the other side of the pillar into the wood to hold it in place. If the wood is currently in the post, weld slowly and shortly, and keep a squirt bottle of water nearby in case of fire.

inliner2318 likes this.
  6. They weren't welded at all. That should hold together, just file it flat and paint it.

7. jetdocmodelA

jetdocmodelA

Just my opinion, but I like to see the nails. When they're fully welded and smoothed out it looks like a fiberglass body.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  8. You have to have wood in the posts for the nails, easier to finish and paint if you weld up the nail holes and use steel in the post instead of wood. Put several spot welded on the long seam and grind them so they don't show

Sent from my Nexus 5X using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 55chevr

55chevr

I welded the jambs since I replaced wood with steel.

10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

A guy in the neighboring town welded 'em up...then after the wood fire, removed the body and cut away the subrails, and extracted the burnt wood.
    He shaped some more wood, (soft pine!) and pounded it back in, giving him the 'peace of mind' that the nails would now hold, and cure rattles.
    I wasn't gonna mention the town, but...It's Winton!
    Still hasn't gotten it running...

11. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Thanks for the info guys. I want to keep the wood for sure and plan on using the nails. Anyone have pics of that area finished with the nails installed?

12. 31Apickup

31Apickup

mike bowling likes this.
  13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

14. 31Apickup

31Apickup

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

Quick tip- pre drill a small pilot hole then hold the nails with a pair of needle nose pliers and use a tack hammer. If you have big hands like I do, it will save you from bending nails half way in and beating the crap out of your fingertips. There's LOTS of nails to put in!
    Good Luck
    MB

Fitnessguy likes this.
  16. The '30 Plymouth I'm restoring for a customer is all sheet metal nailed to a full wood structure, and the wood that I didn't have to redo is hard as hell - I used my pneumatic rivet gun with the teasing throttle to drive the new nails in, easy as can be. Got the correct nails from Restoration Supply.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  17. mohead1

mohead1

Nice looking job on that jamb....i have steel with welds, blended in. Nail holes are epoxied and flushed...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

18. mike bowling

mike bowling

The Model A's had ash in them which is a hard wood- good re-pop wood kits are the same material.

Another tip- hang your doors BEFORE you nail/ weld that in- sometimes being able to adjust the position in or out will make the reveal where the door hits the body better.

Last edited: May 13, 2017