Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Frankfurt Coupe build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Coupe_of_Frankfurt, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Fellow H.A.M.B.ers,
    I started this project 7 years ago, knowing very little about traditional Hot Rods. I basically trusted two people, a self-proclaimed expert builder and his younger body co-worker. The body guy was a bless while the other one was the archetype of a crooked profiteer. Long story short, I got to know my Model A the hard way, ending up doing everything I paid for again myself. After a period of frustration I found back into the project and I want to share an update with you.
    I am happy that I am over the hump and herewith I dare to return to this upper house.
    Let me know what you think.
    Thank you all for your interest. André

PS: Due to the mentioned above, I am currently looking for a clean 1930 title.

IMG_6583.JPG

Attached Files:

2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful/Awesome, looking forward to this coming together and just for the record you guys churn out some real cool Hotrod over there...Good stuff @Coupe_of_Frankfurt...and rebounding from a bad situation ain't easy but you are doing it...in style ;)

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

What @Stogy said! That car is looking great!
    Forget the bad and move on, just like you said.

4. Nice coupe, Love the color

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Beautiful job. Nice to be able to do it yourself, isn't it ?

How about giving us some details ? In one picture the body appears to be lengthened or maybe it's just the angle of the picture. I (we ?) would like to hear more about the build.

6. That is a great looking coupe! The color is very nice. Keep at it, and you will enjoy the benefits of having a fine hot rod. Nice work !:)

7. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

I like that color, what is it ? Great looking coupe, more detail please

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

8. i have to agree.....that is a very nice color

BigO, Coupe_of_Frankfurt and Dino 64 like this.
  9. Thank you all for your nice comments. The color is a Mercedes-Benz color from the 50s which was used for Pontons and SL's. It's simply called "blue-green" (DB 270). For me it does all the tricks, it's period correct, could have been Ford, could be a standard commercial color, but appears somehow more elegant, looks good with black wires and is a nice reminiscence to my German origin...

BigO, Kiwi 4d, lothiandon1940 and 4 others like this.
  10. this forum app has changed so much, since I was here last time. Please excuse me, if I do not get every function right from the start.

I just returned the trailer to the shop where I borrowed it, because today it my body returned on its chassis!

Attached Files:

BigO, mgtstumpy, mad mikey and 6 others like this.
  11. brady1929

brady1929

12. catdad49

catdad49

Love it, what a Great color! It' s going to be a Nice ride.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Ditto to all the above compliments! Very Nice!

Ray

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. SquintBoy

SquintBoy

Love your "look", Frankfurt! Blackwalls, black spokes, hubcaps and color close to 1959 Porsche Fjord Green!

sent from the red phone

15. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

16. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cool, good luck !

17. Thanks again for your interest. Since there has been such a long break, I will just post some milestones which are often searched in this group.

Everything has been done before, but here's my layout. Nothing special, but probably it is just the right way for someone else. All garage made.

Had to make over the badly made crossmember.

IMG_0798.jpg

Here's the result:

IMG_4773.jpg

The pedals are made of a set of 49-50 Plymouth pedals. they are pretty similar to Ford but all around bigger with a practical great nipple. I used the original axle (w clutch lever), got two tubes with brass bushings machined and arranged and bent them according to the space I need. The original Plymouth flange will make it detachable from the cage, the small tube will be welded to the cage.

IMG_0350.jpg IMG_0351.jpg

I have a cross steering box. It was a complete offer with column and wheel. I liked the wheel, understood the steering advantage and used it. I decided to skip the lake headers which were planned at first, so space became an issue.
    here's how I worked around it.

IMG_4657.jpg

I managed to insert a VW/Porsche cylinder into the original 1930 Ford backing plates. It takes a few machining steps, but is very easy. I lost the original notes, basically you just mill down the backing plate, insert a machined ring on a press, press a stock wheel cylinder (who was milled down to safe the emergency brake hole) into that and you are done. There are some little extra steps with the springs a.s.o., which I can provide w. measurements if someone is interested. The stock emergency brake still operates as before.

IMG_6599.jpg

18. Oh, and heres a picture from yesterday. It is so exciting to attach stuff to fresh painted bodies.... :)

Attached Files:

farmer12, Stogy, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  19. thinkfink

thinkfink

NICE work...any updates?

20. 392

I love the color. And yes nice work and killer build.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. Dang, don't know how I missed this before. What a beautiful color! This Coupe is going to be very special.:D......................We need updates.........please.

chryslerfan55 and mad mikey like this.
  22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Can find Ed there everyday. :)

23. Hi everybody watching.
    Thanks so much for the latest interest in my build. I appreciate. Its a great honor.

I'm going slow since I work a fair bit in my regular job and I work on three cars at the same time.
    I've been to Vern Tardel's and L.A. in September, meeting friends and luminaries -> ISKY that was a blast.

As you can see I brought stuff from LA and I made use of the low GBP and purchased some English 97s.
    The only thing stopping me from firing the french flathead up after years is Mac's backorder.

I did the top wood, at least, so I'm gonna set a post up about that, shortly.
    Thank you again.

24. Ah hey there! Missed these posts as i wasn´t on here so much lately. Great progress.

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  25. LOL, but you're always informed on FB!

lothiandon1940 and James D like this.
  26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Subscribed, I look forward to updates. That colour is a knockout!

27. thinkfink

thinkfink

x2

28. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

You probably like that I made my own stainless screws to fuel the “oh no there were no Phillips screws back then discussion”.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

29. Nice build, great color.

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.