Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Coupe at Bonneville

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oj, Feb 21, 2016.

1. oj

oj

Check out this coupe, anybody know anything about it? I wonder if it is still around?[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. oj

oj

Here's another picture of it, compare the roof to the roadster beside it!
    [​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. oj likes this.
  4. Nobey

Nobey

Thats Doug Rice's 39 Ford.....

5. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

This was a few years ago , Seaside Or . event.........
    IMG_1862.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG

6. 32 Barn Car

32 Barn Car
    from Oregon

Another one , third car over . The Roadster PU next to it is the "B" cover/feature car from the current Rodder's Journal ........
    IMG_4247aaaaa.jpg

kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    Jet96, kidcampbell71 and kiwijeff like this.
  8. oj

oj

The site I saw it on implied the pics were from the '50s at Bonneville and the above pic looks really old to me. How old is the car? well, besides the obvious. Who did the build?

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OJ click on the link in my post above and there is a large chronicle of the car...and yes it is old /traditional /cool and quite influential to the HAMB culture...Doug built it...Even better when they are still around ;)

oj likes this.
  10. oj

oj

Hotdamn! What a great story Stogy, just incredible really. Something kept getting in my eyes as I read it, thanks for posting the link.

loudbang likes this.
  11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The hotrod story is all over the net/www. There are many respected sites with that being one of them. Many are run by members here. Incredible knowledge base here at the HAMB as well. We as a whole glean from one another. Its a glorious past and a great future to share. Thanks to all involved...without you there would be nothing.

mad mikey likes this.
  12. oj

oj

I wonder if that is Dougs' wife, Janet, standing alongside the car in the original picture I posted, and the outfit sewn by her mother?
    Incredible story, this and stories like the WoodieMike post P.R.C. need a special place on the Hamb.

13. 40LUV

40LUV
    from Mid Jersey

14. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Pete & Doug cars.jpg
    Here's is a pic of Doug's car pitted alongside mine at Bonneville in 1954.
    I think he turned 129+ mph that year.
    He lives not too far from me. We still get together for dinner occasionally.

Chucky, Jet96, oj and 6 others like this.
  15. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pics from a veteran of the sport even better...Thank you very much...Post some of yours please as it is coupes on the salt after all...;)

16. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I looked at the car when it was parked at the Montego Bay Hotel during Speed Week I think the last time they ran. Still looks exactly the same, numbers and all. Its still in amazing condition after all these years. Looked to me like it was driven there too from the bugs on it

17. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Not long ago, I talked to the guy that owns it now and looked the car over.
    (Sorry, I don't remember his name)
    The exterior and interior are very close to how the car was built. The undercarriage
    has been changed quite a bit. The Halibrand quickchange is gone as is the 296 flathead.
    In 1954 Doug got married and drove the 39 to LA with Janet. They bought the 32 roadster that she
    had for several years. They then towed the 39 with the roadster to Bonneville.
    The roadster was no slouch either having turned around 125 at Elmo.

Stogy likes this.
  18. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

To see that car in person is something else. So bad ass . I got to see it on the salt a few years back.

19. Tony

Tony

To put it very lightly, an awesome car, and story!!
    Its just so damn slick!

Tony

20. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

537C  1953.jpg
    Here is a pic from 1953.
    130+ mph that year.

Jet96, oj, falcongeorge and 4 others like this.
  21. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Real time sweet... and fast...Pete (Pete one) this post just got even more special. The pics are not complete without the stories. You are which one in the pic? Pete I see a plate poking out on the back of your coupe did you drive to Bonneville? Was your coupe running a tracknose? Just curious...Thank you so much for sharing. By the way I extend a virtual handshake to both You and Doug for your part in fueling the passion here...

22. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I am in the middle.
    The thingy out the back was a push bar.
    I drove it there in 55 but only turned 121.
    Yes I had an engine nascelle from a seabee for a nose that year. Took it and the belly pan off and went 3 mph faster..LOL
    BTW, that is Tom Beatty's push car in front of us.

Stogy likes this.
  23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great information...Still pretty fast times. Aerodynamics hmmm so the brick streamlining wins by a bit. That is cool. There is a thread running...http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tired-of-homogenized-hotrods.1002926/
    if you have a pic from the front or angle front to back with the aerodynamic shrouding it would be quite fitting there and if you posted it, it would mean that much more. That being said post it here too as this thread is a celebration of you guys for us to enjoy...Thanks big time again Pete. This made the evening here and I am sure elsewhere in the community that much better. Hey what happened to your hotrod?

24. I believe the new owner's name is Don...friends with my cousin Darrell who's his neighbor up on the Washington coast. Darrell is always telling me about him.

25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

God I love that car. It was also on the Hot Rod "Tailgate Torpedoes" cover with Grabowskies "Bug".

26. aircap

aircap

Love the car - it's a classic.
    Are those Briz bumpers?

27. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Desoto from what was original to the car in the day...

CCC_desoto-bumpers-nielsen-06-W.jpg

"Luckily, a local guy had a pair of bumpers that he almost gave Don as he knew they were going on the historic coupe." quoted from link below...
    http://www.kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Doug_Rice's_1939_Ford

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/desoto-ribbed-bumper.223515/#post-2376737

http://www.customcarchronicle.com/custom-cars/delightful-de-soto-bumpers/

Jimmy B likes this.
  28. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

That's the Bonneville Boomer. I think Don Richardson has owned it for a while now. It is in my top three lusted after cars of all time. I love that thing. I hope it never comes on the market, because it would make my wife, my banker, and my CPA all mad in the same day.

29. ^^^^^exactly!

30. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

It sort of evolved through several bodies and engines to my present circle track roadster. Cottage Grove A main winner.jpg