Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Country Classic Cars Has Fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dan c, Aug 10, 2017.

1. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Staunton, Ill., business "Country Classics" recently had a fire in its main showroom. I think the casualty rate was over 100 cars. The landmark is located north of St. Louis on I-55. Scan0020.jpg

els and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. raven

raven

Maybe they will sell some 're-builders'...
    r

els likes this.
  3. iustabfast

iustabfast

els and RustyBullet like this.
  4. Fire sale. Boy have we got some smoking hot deals!:eek:

els and mgtstumpy like this.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

that is a terrible photo to look at. :(

there is a post going right now where a guy from the UK wanted someone to go look at a Packard they have for sale.

els and c2355 like this.
  6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a couple other threads on this

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

10. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

This is really sad to look at, it's obvious this family has their whole lives wrapped up in this business. I had to let this stew awhile but why is it there always has to be at least one who makes a joke about a tragedy like this. Please think before you post. Wishing the best for Mr. Noel and his family.

11. While I agree that jokes might be a bit distasteful to some, it does surprise me how many car collections have gone up in flames over the past few years. I can think of three or four sizeable collections off the top of my head.
    I have yet to see any mention in the news articles about fire suppression systems. You would think that given the hundreds of thousands (or millions) invested in some of these collections, that a few tens of thousands for a sprinkler system would be a no brainer.
    After all, these cars are powered by internal combustion engines, and by their very nature, carry flammable liquids to operate.

12. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

I have to agree with Speedy, a fire suppression system would be a great asset to anyone with valuable cars. For a look at how it is done check out the Utube video for Kermit Weeks' system in Florida for his vintage aircraft museum. Not a cheap date but in a matter of moments it fills a huge hanger with foam, got me to thinking of the possibility of a much smaller unit in the home garage or shop similar to what is used in Nascar and other racing venues. I know some of us have them in aerobatic aircraft.

13. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I know it's OT here but I owned a nice '69 Firebird convertible a few years ago so this is really hard to look at. The pic below is the only one they have on their website so that's obviously it.... :(

2017.05.02_98924.jpg

14. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

A lot of the cars were builders or projects some were there on consignment, those who joke about this tragedy really are SICK puppies.

15. Tragedy, I was going to make this a stop on my vacation......
    As a fire investigator they need to look for the car that has its tires burned off....looks like a fuel vapor fire that passed over top of most of the cars.

16. 4wd1936

4wd1936
    from NY

On board with Larry on this one for sure, there is nothing funny about this at all.

17. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

mike in tucson likes this.
  18. I feel bad for the owners, they took care of what they had, that many cars covered up is no easy feat. I didn't realize how many REAL OLD cars they had. I hope none of those were lost.

19. Been by there many times but never stopped in. Really a shame.

20. Pistnbroke

Pistnbroke
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have been through there many times, paid my cover fee to look around, some real nice cars and some real whip and dip cars as well, most of the nice stuff was in the building what a shame to loose so many.

21. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I have always enjoyed looking at their adds. I think they have provided a good service for many in the hobby.
    Some have negative opinions on the dealer but....honestly for the money and the region.......
    What do you expect?

dan c likes this.
  22. It's called "black humor". Like the Jeffrey Dahmer/Wayne Gacy jokes, you laugh to keep from crying. The humor may not be the most tasteful but does acknowledge the tragedy in a convoluted way.

God bless those folks. I hope they can rebuild stronger than ever.

46international and raven like this.
  23. My friend was informed yesterday that the '54 he was interested in was among the causality's.I have heard good and bad about this company but you can't make everybody happy.

Regardless,it is a shame so many cars were destroyed, I fell for the owners but even more so for the people who consigned their cars and lost them. HRP

24. Looking at the pics, while pretty much all of the fire-damaged cars will be total losses from an insurance standpoint, I wonder if at least some could rebuilt. I don't see any that have the tires melted off them, many still have paint on the lower body. So while they got hot, they didn't get that hot. So I hope these don't go to the crusher, maybe a 'fire sale' for the brave souls who would tackle these...

I've seen some motorcycles that were burned in a garage fire that looked like these, they got rebuilt successfully.

46international and raven like this.
  25. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

26. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

27. KustomKreeps

KustomKreeps

to tell the truth it dosnt look as bad as i would of expected.
    Seen classic cars go up and these are not the same twisted things.
    heck many still have the rubber on the tires.

28. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Dang, that C3 Corvette didn't even melt! Weird! I've burned old fiberglass boats before, all that would be left would be the glass cloth, looks like only the paint was damaged on that one, well the window glass was broken, too.

SEAAIRE354 likes this.
  29. some pictures I took a couple of years ago. DSCF2930.JPG DSCF2931.JPG DSCF2932.JPG DSCF2933.JPG DSCF2934.JPG DSCF2936.JPG DSCF2940.JPG DSCF2942.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.