Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Could use some advice on model a patch panel.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jkmar73, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

I get it. The shrinking or stretching the panel will give me the curves in the panel I need. And cause the metal to retain that shape, as oppose to bending and it wanting to go back to a flat panel. Sorry, I’m still new to all of this sheet metal working.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  2. That's correct. The flange dictates the curve of the panel. Using a Shrinker on the flange will make a constant curve when applied right unlike a direct flex point with the tools shown.
    The Wizzard

3. alchemy

alchemy

Once you get the practice patch cut out, hopefully the quarter will spring back to it's original shape. Make sure you have your new patch formed perfectly (over your knee, using a wheel, using hammers, whatever) before you start welding. You should be able to hold it loose up to the quarter and it should just fall into place, rather than having to shove and clamp it crooked to keep the shape. Much easier to finish afterward if the shape is correct to begin with.

tb33anda3rd and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. So how's this going ?

From another post and their approach to the same issue.

You could hammer it flat , add metal on the end if needed and re- bend it too.
    Patch panels kinda suck for the most part and sometimes it's almost easier to just make the damn things right in the first place than to mess around fixing them.
    image.jpeg

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  5. Jkmar73

Jkmar73
    from Tulare, CA

Sorry for the delayed update. Got the new patch panels in. Took some advice and got a shrinker/stretcher kit from Eastwood. I also found a good price on a tig welder as well. Shaped the patch to fit the body. Took a while going back and forth, but fits a lot better than before. Weld could be better. The patches on the passenger side and driver side front cowl came out really good. Have one more patch to install on the passenger side cowl and the patches are done. Thanks for all of the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.