Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Could of cried 34 3w

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39WILLZ, Jan 14, 2020.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

Not to make light of the misrepresentation issue, but I have seen many restorations that were started with much worse and much less material, and by Brits! Thoroughbred and Classic Cars magazine is good for at least one such story per issue! "Liam found this bonnet badge and built a car underneath it, page 11!"

2. Ricco39ford

Ricco39ford

I too was going to buy a 34 3 window long distance got pictures over my phone agreed to price put hold money on it. My dad and I drove 4 states to get there and 5 minutes looking at this car realizing it is a piece of shit and left got my money back. He too must have owned stock in bondo company couldn’t hardly get a magnet to stick anywhere on car. Out travel time and money but glad we looked at car in person. You really cannot get a good idea of what you’re buying unless your there in person.

39WILLZ likes this.
  3. Luke stone

Luke stone

Wow Wayne that sucks and I’m guessing you paid top money too. Hope you and the family are well and looking forward to watching this progress you certainly have the skill
    Luke

4. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Willys looks good but that 3 window was misrepresented. I don't see why we don't OUT these people on the HAMB, is it some kind of code among thieves? I got a 37 pickup that was misrepresented on the HAMB, 8 out of 10, RIGHT! Seems like we should be protecting the honest people, not the scammers. I'd at least let Ryan know about it to see if anything should be done about this guy. Maybe there should be a thread about these "misrepresentations" where you could get a little back and forth action and we'd all be the jury. If they're still on the HAMB, we should know.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Look at the bright side, you have a '34 3window in England. One panel at a time. Bob

62rebel and 39WILLZ like this.
  6. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I know that feeling, my first 40 sedan, wanted one for ever, sold a car and some stuff to buy one. Ebay this time, loads of messages asking questions about rot, one I remember particularly asking about the rain gutters, knowing that this can be a bad area, seller said they were great. It arrived in the UK, I was devastated, i could see through the roof all along the rain gutters, that was just the start. Never again will I buy without seeing the car first, no matter how 'genuine' the seller appears. I couldn't get past it, sold the car after a couple of years, and bought another that had already been imported, so that I could look at..

39WILLZ likes this.
  7. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Luke we all good thanks how's you guys doing, got my head round it now just gonna take it little longer to do than I thought.

j-jock likes this.
  8. trollst

trollst

Well, there's always a bright side, even if you can't see it. My first car went to a local high zoot rod shop, they saw me coming, I paid to get my car back, vowed if they could charge for poor work, I could at least do the same. I took it upon myself to learn, forty years later, I turn out stuff they could only have dreamt of doing, and truly, because of them, I developed the skills I have, may not have done it but for them. In the end, they have saved me a lot of money. It's all in whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, start eating the elephant boy, one bite at a time, at least you have a car I'd kill to get.

clem, 40FORDPU, R A Wrench and 2 others like this.
  9. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

To be honest can't remember his name guess I could look back thru some emails see if I can find he's details but don't think I can be bothered with all that, won't change the situation, I've got my head round it now and will just put all the crap right and build a badass Hotrod out of it. Wayne

10. Happydaze

Happydaze
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Wayne, quit whining! I know that at the rate you seem to be able to work it'll be fixed up in no time! Look forward to seeing it finished in August! :)
    cheers
    Chris

Stogy likes this.
  11. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey Chris that made me laugh ,,,,, maybe September all the best to you and Ali dude .......

Stogy likes this.
  12. Guess I am a jerk because I don't think it looks that bad. My 34 truck had to have every panel replaced or repaired. The only parts I saved from the original truck was the cowl, top, one fender , hood top and bed sides. The rest was paper thin rust. So I feel for ya, but you can fix that, just don't use bondo.
    Hey, its a freakin' 34 3 window!!

62rebel and 39WILLZ like this.
  13. sucks when stuff like that happens
    we had a similar issue with a 32 a customer bought
    car a the original floor covered with pieces from another and lots of roofing tar
    the lower cowl and qtrs had the rotted original metal plus 2 rust repair panels brazed on it and all of those rotted through
    it had been hit in the cowl and door at one time with some major butchery on the A post.
    32 cowl.jpg cowl 2.jpg cowl 3.jpg
    it ended well but sucks when not expected
    But think about the pride when that future beauty gets repaired

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  14. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great attitude. Now the previous owner may or may not have known what was under the primer. I sold a 31 coupe body to a guy once that I had landed from the US. Both of us thought it was a gem. Ultimately it wasnt but still got built into a very nice car.

Good luck with it Wayne. As someone else trying to make things happen at a distance I know how hard it can be. At least it turned up. Im still waiting on $8K worth of hemis that I will never see.....

39WILLZ and Stogy like this.
  15. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Like some others, I think you SHOULD take the time to reveal the douche bag...aren't we here to help each other?
    I agree it won't change the situation...but it may help a fellow HAMBer NOT have a similar "situation"
    JMO

16. There sure is plenty of encouragement here on the HAMB. I have seen guys here fix much worse than that with amazing results. Just build one hell of a hot rod.:cool: Now get to work and don't look back!

wheeldog57, 39WILLZ and The37Kid like this.
  17. Blue-Collar-HotRods

Blue-Collar-HotRods

I'd like to see the original add, and price before I could make any comment

clem, IronFord, swade41 and 7 others like this.
  18. I hate to hear stories like this. On a couple of occasions I have asked other Hambers to check out cars for me that were too far for me to do it myself. After they sent me detailed pictures I passed on both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

39WILLZ likes this.
  19. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

That's a bad deal, I hate trying to fix something somebody else has screwed up, it'd be easier if you were fixing it before it was screwed up. The one mentioned with roofing tar made me cringe. That crap will make you invent new curse words!

39WILLZ and anthony myrick like this.
  20. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Glad you have a good attitude about it. Sounds like you're one of the few who can pound a soup can into a 3 window and that's great, but I can't. If I got scammed like that, I'd have to PAY for all that re-work. It's just not right - I think we should have a CALL THEM OUT thread.

21. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Sucks that that happened to you but still a cool ride. Props to you for not naming them. Its not worth it and wont make you feel any better anyhow. Good luck

39WILLZ likes this.
  22. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have a pair of front fenders for it

23. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

There was a guy whose last name was Booth from Canada that sold cars like that.
    Everything was in fresh primer
    Saw a few of his cars at Hershey.

39WILLZ likes this.
  24. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I’m always cautious when I see flat black or guide coat on something... or the phrase “ ready for paint”

25. Sorry you got the short end of the stick they say....got burned on pictures verses what was sent just last week - but not a HAMBer that I know of - bought off another site. Lot less money but it still burns the same. Good luck with it !

39WILLZ likes this.
  26. raven

raven

I believe that calls for a personal type visit to settle accounts...
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

VANDENPLAS and 39WILLZ like this.
  27. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

When life deals you LEMONS , make LEMONADE. . It looks a bit rough , but I’m sure it can be made into one Sweet ride . Hang in there just remember , it could be worse .

39WILLZ likes this.
  28. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd have to ask if that was recent work or old work. Recent work someone indeed is pulling a scam. Old work maybe from the 70's and you may have bought it from a flipper who bought it to flip and didn't pay a lot of attention to the condition.
    It's a bummer to buy it and have it shipped and then discover that though. Or maybe Grandpa was a lousy bodyman who covered everything with an inch of bondo.

SS327, clem, jimgoetz and 1 other person like this.