Register now to get rid of these ads!

Could I get a shot of a 35-40 Ford rearend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3Mike6, Jan 15, 2007.

1. 3Mike6

3Mike6

I just want to see what the rear looks like assembled...the '40 rear I have..the leafs are separated. I/e I have a pack on the rearend with 7 leafs, and laying next to it is a seperate pak of of 6 leafs...must be a commericial rear, but I'd like to know what's needed to make'em all go together.

2. Blair

Blair
    from xx

Like this? By the way, mine has seven leafs.

rear.jpg

3. 3Mike6

3Mike6

Thanks Blair...did you pull the op pack out? Or maybe what i have doesn't go together?

What i mean is i have a '40 or '41 rear just like yours with 7 leafs...but there was another smaller pack of leaf springs with 6 leafs wired to it...kinda dangling there.

I was told the the doffeernec between cars and trucks were cars had 11 leafs and trucks had 13.

But anyways, you're pic is great...seems I could run just the 7 and support the ass-end fine?

4. 3Mike6

3Mike6

BTW, looks like yo converted to open drive too? That's in my plans as well.

Shell Beach? That's in the Bay Area, right? Seems familar to me.

5. Blair

Blair
    from xx

I didn't pull the rear out of the car it was in, so I have no idea if the spring is the original, or if it has had leafs removed. But the spring rate seems to be the right stiffness by my "jump up and down on the back of the car test". I'll let you now how it rides in 5-6 months.
    But I think seven leafs should be fine.

I did convert it to open drive. I modified some stock pieces and a ten bolt chevy yoke to make it work. It's been done before here, but if you want I could post some pictures. In the ned it cost me about $30 and 8 hours of labor, plus you have to have a lathe.

Shell Beach is right next to Pismo Beach, which is 2.5-3 hours south of san jose. I did grow up in the bay area though, napa to be exact.