Register now to get rid of these ads!

corvette with toploader transmission troubles. Help needed please !!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by moparnate, Aug 25, 2013.

1. moparnate

moparnate
    from minnesota

I have a 60 corvette, running a sbc, what I think is a Lakewood adapter bellhousing to a 4sp 67 Ford toploader. I cannot get the car to shift when running. It seems to shift fine when the car is not running. I have swapped the clutch out 2 times. Adjusted the hurst shifter rods with a drill bit a million times, tried adjusting the linkage a dozen different ways. Out of ideas. I can see through the inspection holes that when the pedal is depressed, the clutch looks to be disengaging. used the same flywheel, just had it resurfaced, same fork, z bar and pilot bushing. It is running a ford clutch and pressure plate, I have adjusted the linkage to no free play etc. etc. just looking for ideas before I take the tranny out again.

2. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Sounds like you have a clutch release problem. What happens when you try to put it in reverse? If it grinds you aren't getting enough travel out of your linkage, or you have to thick of a disc,or a pressure plate tearing among other possibilities.

3. greybeard360

greybeard360

Or the disc is in backwards.... seen it happen many times and easy to do.

If you can see the pressure plate releasing, make sure there is a gap on each side of the disc. Better yet, with the trans in neutral have someone push the pedal down and use a narrow crewdriver and see if you can turn the disc from the edge of it. If it doesn't move and there is an air gap on just one side (engine side), the disc is backwards. If there is a gap on both sides and you can't move it have the person pushing the pedal release it very slowly while you try to turn it. If it gets to a point where it does move, you either have too much pedal travel and the fingers are making contact with the disc.

I havee seen all of these things happen.

4. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

How does the clutch pedal feel when depressed? If hard to press disc probably in backwards. Thick spring side to pressureplate. Lippy

5. F&J

F&J

We don't know if this setup was ever working correctly..so..

If it was me, I would keep the pedal to the floor, then with rear tires off the ground, put it in high gear and stick a long screwdriver through the front u-joint, to see if it can spin the disc (motor not running) :)

if it won't budge with a long bar, then do you see a air gap on both sides of the disc?

It could be many things; pilot bushing dia too tight, or too long and binding the input shaft, or even the TOB guide tube too long and pressing the disc against the flywheel.

If the adjustments were somewhat close, the trans will grind a lot in 1st and rev, but a better chance of getting it to go into 4th with less grinding.

Don't know if you tried, but if you put it in 1st then bump the starter with clutch in, does it lurch forward? If it does, it is not close to being right.