Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Corvette Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Nov 6, 2022.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I found a corvette steering box, ad says 63 to 72, guy got it with a bunch of parts he bought. Will this work on a 57 chevy belair? I'd like a little quicker steering ratio and I've heard of people using the earlier corvette boxes. It looks like the one on my 57 except it has the splined shaft for the column where mine is made on. I could shorten my column, what else would I get into? Never had no experience with these so I need some help.

2. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Brose Borgenson.com

nochop likes this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

Looking at spline info in the Borgeson catalog your Corvette box has a 3/4-36 spline. You could cut and machine your steering shaft to a double D configuration and use a 3/4-36 to double D coupling or u-joint if that suits your situation better. The bottom of your column will likely require support for the shaft, a simple and cheap flange bearing will take care of that.

4. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

But it will bolt in and use my pitman arm? I can handle the column changes and I'd use a U joint. From what I can find out the corvette is 16 to 1 and mine is 20 t0 1, does that sound about right?

5. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

No help on this? Could someone tell me if it'll bolt up and if the pitman arm off mine will work?

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. NoelC

NoelC

You know Mike, you might have to take one for the team and tell us. But since I Googled them for a look, I'd say odds are 60/40 in your favor.

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

I bought this one cheap, put in a bid, never thought I'd get it but ended up winning the auction. I haven't even unboxed it yet but I'll let you all know how it works out. Been having to take care of Mom and hardly have time to keep customers cars done must less work on my own stuff.

pprather, seb fontana and Johnny Gee like this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Switch steering wheel's to a smaller diameter, 14", 13.5" or 13"... Grant still makes the same three hole steering wheel that they made in the fifties and sixties.
    First thing, pull the old wheel and put a Grant steering wheel hub. If you look on e-Bay, there are usually chrome hubs. Then try different wheels and see which wheel suits you best. I have a 13" Grant wheel on my off topic car.

Attached Files: