Register now to get rid of these ads!

Corvette Hubcaps any ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32Rules, Jan 13, 2008.

1. 32Rules

32Rules

I seen this photo
    [​IMG]
    and want to run these caps on my car.
    [​IMG]

My car has 8" ford with ford 4.5" bolt pattern on rear
    and 5.5" early ford pattern on front.
    Wheels dont have the nubs to hold caps on and since they are expensive caps anyone have any ideas on how to keep these caps on my wheels
    Thanks in advance.

2. hillbillyhellcat

hillbillyhellcat

You could possibly adapt something the GM used to use on their full size cars.... the hub cap is held on by the lug nuts with a threaded rod... The spinner could spin on to it to keep the caps on.

3. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

Your wheels don't have to have any nubs to hold the caps on. These caps have their own mechanism to hold them to the outside ring of the wheel. Some sort of spring loaded or angle bent tabs that hold them tight. You should be able to run them with no problem, as long as your wheels are 15" and the contact area of the wheel is wide enough to accept them. If this area is not wide enough, you will know it as soon as you start to put them on. They will not slide up into the wheel lip far enough. They stayed on the Corvette so they should stay on your car. We have some sort of hub cap on about everything we build. Love them! You might want to take a look at the small Corvettes of the same vintage, they look awesome too.

Kevin
    Ooltewah Speed Shop

4. racemad55

racemad55

Those nubs have to be on the wheels to retain the caps,look at the backside of the caps,there will be 4 spots that sort of engage with the nubs! I've had solid axle corvettes for 35 years,expensive caps to lose!

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

there are places that will build you a wheel with your Ford centers on a chevy "nub equipped" outer hoop. that might be another possibility.

6. KATFISH

KATFISH

Dont do that, oh hell, on second thought ,yea,do it.it'll give the rest of us
    something to laugh about.
    Seriously. Dont.... That five window looks fine as it is.

Are you an N.S.R.A. member by chance?

7. bonesy

bonesy

I disagree - the caps would be a major improvement. There was a red '32 tudor in TRJ (#2 or #3) with Corvette cap. I loved the look on the tudor as much as the 3w.

8. 53dodgekustom

53dodgekustom

I agree I think it would improve the looks. Needs to have smaller WW's though.

9. you definitely have to have the 4 "nubs" to hold the caps on. you can weld the nubs on (grind until snug) or have someone like stockton wheel service make the wheels you need. the caps can be found on E-PAY for $50-70 for used ones or you can go to a place like corvette central and by new ones $$$$. the small corvette caps were the same as the full size car of the same year.(they should fit about any wheel.

10. 32Rules

32Rules

I already have the caps and thought it would be a change of pace to put them on the coupe. They came off of my 62 corvette and I put american 5 spoles on it. You defintly need the nubs to hold on the caps and welding is thonly thing i could think of. I might considere after market steel wheels with the nubs. or guess I could adapt the corvette wheels to the ford hubs. But just thought someone might have a slick trick out there.

BTW for better or worse yea I am an NSRA memeber and a Goodguys member. Went to my first nationals in 1979 at the tender age of 21 in a chopped and channeled 32 5 window.