Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

Mark here are some pictures of the 57 with the 409 from this past Autorama-where he took 1st in class. He did not have to cut a hole in the hood. The only thing he had to do was to cut down the air filter element. He has an Edelbrock intake manifold (as well as their cylinder heads). The build was not all that bad money wise (easy for me to say) as he found a 409 block and rebuilt it and then added the Edelbrock goodies. He lives pretty close to me and so I get to hear his car in the neighborhood. Great sounding and running car-tremendous torque for the stock drivetrain.

As to how to get the upstance, it depends on how high you want to go. back in the 60s guys would generally place 4" I-beams (some call them H beams) between the frame and front suspension (right where you should have the 2* aluminum caster shims now). If you raise it you will probably have to add at least another 2* shim to help with caster. On my black 62, AR17 001.jpg AR17 002.jpg AR17 004.jpg I made a 2" block instead of a 4" I beam and was not happy with it. So I took a 4" I beam and cut it down to a 3" I beam and really liked it. When I did the red car I had a pair of heavy duty front springs and tried them but it was not enough so I added the 2" block I took out of the black car. Now I am happy with both and they turned out the same height. So long story short you have to figure out how high you want to go. When you do if you want me to send you some pics of what I did, I would be happy to.

You will have fun not only driving it but also figuring out how to make it your own. Good luck-Jim

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    One I found on the internet today

OahuEli, Paul B, Bowtie Coupe and 5 others like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

4. els

els

That vette is STUNNING. nice pic. I will try to cop that. It looks like a 1961?

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Yes it is a 61 that was built by Nickey. They built a number of them pretty much the same except for color. I really like a number of things about the car including the overall look but not really a fan of those front wheels on "gassers". Would love to own one. I spoke to one of the guys from Nickey when they had the Nickey built Nomad at the Meltdown in 2016. He told me the same guy bought all of the ones they built and sold several later. I believe they had a price tag of a buck and a half from Nickey. I agree they are stunning.

Baron, Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  6. els

els

Jimdillon. Did you see the car up close? And did it look as good in person or better. Like I told enloe, it is STUNNING.

loudbang and enloe like this.
  7. jimdillon

jimdillon

Els I did not see the car up close but did see the Nomad up close and it was very nice. Nickey is known to do quality work and I have heard the 61s were pretty nice. Here are two other 61s done by them and a picture of the engine and interior-nice stuff. Nickey-2.jpg Nickey-5.jpg Nickey-4.jpg Nickey-6.jpg Nickey-7.jpg

8. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

A couple I saw at Woodward Dream Cruise last week. There were others but I wasn't quick enough to catch a picture of them.

DSCN2120.JPG DSCN2121.JPG DSCN2107.JPG

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

The black 60 with silver coves is local and the owner bought the car new. Told me he has had this stance going back to the early 60s. The other Vette I have not seen before-looks good.

There was a pretty wicked mid year with wild paint and nice sounding engine on Saturday rolling with the slow moving parking lot that is the cruise after let's say noon.

Had a good time with the activities this year. Made it down three times although on Saturday I park the car on Old Woodward and "enjoy" the show.

10. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

I saw that mid year. But it got away on me. It wasn't caught in stop and go traffic when it went by me. It was Saturday when I saw it as well.

As you can probably tell from the Black '60 I walked thru that area on Old Woodward. It was late in the afternoon. Missed your car or I would have taken a picture of it for sure.

els, enloe and loudbang like this.
  11. loudbang

loudbang

Sebring 1957. Paul O´Shea Peter Lovely , Corvette SR-2.

Sebring 1957. Paul O´Shea  Peter Lovely , Corvette SR-2..jpg

12. elgringo71

elgringo71

13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Bad photo, kool car.

s-l1600 (6).jpg

14. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Mine took a hit at the track a couple of weeks ago, broke some ribs and the car is back home now, looking for a drivers doors if anyone has one for sale.

Attached Files:

Baron, loudbang and els like this.
  15. Sorry to hear that about you and the car. I'm hopeful both you and the car will heal quickly.

16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    MAN I LOVE THIS CAR.
    IT JUST LOOKS MEAN

17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    I KNOW THIS ONE HAS PROBABLY BEEN POSTED ON HERE BUT I DON'T REMEMBER SEEING IT.

18. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    This one is also pretty awesome

19. jimdillon

jimdillon

JP not good news to hear of your encounter. Looks like you bent the bumper and bruised more fiberglass than just the door. Car can be fixed of course-hope your personal injuries heal up fast.

Will keep my eyes open for a new door. Is it something that can be repaired with a new skin, as that may be easier to find? I bought a 58 project a few years ago with the driver's door missing and it took me a bit of time to find one that was not highway robbery. I see them occasionally on ebay in the $400 range I believe.

20. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim,
    Its the inside that cracked and thinking it might be easier to replace the whole thing.
    jp

21. jimdillon

jimdillon

JP understood now.

As an aside, I have noticed that there is a company in Florida I believe that is allegedly making a 1958 Corvette body and all the components and have seen a 1962 Corvette body recently on ebay for sale-both are basically kit cars. I assume this is the same company although the location in Florida seems to have changed if my memory serves me. I have seen other kit cars up close and they often are not very accurate. Not sure of this company as I have never seen their work. They claim they sell the various parts. I kind of enjoy repairing fiberglass parts, maybe only my psychiatrist would know why. Do any guys that follow this thread know anything about this company? If I had to order a new front clip just wondering if it would be halfway decent. The last clip I ordered from another company was not as perfect as I would like it to have been. Mostly for old drag cars so hand laid is OK. Press molded are nice but they can be a bit pricey as well.

Here is a pic from ebay from a recent listing.
    s-l1600s.jpg

Baron, loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]

Another one I really like

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

25. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

26. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

27. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

28. elgringo71

elgringo71

enloe, you are on a roll. Great stuff

Baron, loudbang, els and 2 others like this.
  29. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Enloe, nice line-up of quality cars and photos.

loudbang, els and enloe like this.