Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. jimdillon

jimdillon

Jason, some great pics there-I also see Wildabeast in the mix

Vintage Auto your Glass Onion looks like a really nice example. Would be proud to park it in my barn for sure. Not sure if you want the history out there but feel free to fill us in on the history.

els, loudbang and enloe like this.
  2. noboD

noboD

As Jim said it's a test mule. That is Duntov standing on the right with white hair. I have seen the pictures before but can't remember what track it is.

els, loudbang and enloe like this.
  3. elgringo71

elgringo71

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

5. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Very cool

els and loudbang like this.
  6. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

I liked this 'vette. I liked it so much when I saw it in Palo Alto, California in May 2011 I asked the owner if I could check it out and take this photo.

ZZZ.JPG

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I shot this photo at the Chicago Auto Show around 1972 in a lobby display.

8. loudbang

loudbang

Nice shot of Fred's Plastic Toy running altered

Fred's plastic Toy check vette.JPG

1.JPG

All In The Family

all in the family SS.JPG

and sdrag.JPG

Lyde Wagers Criscoes Automotive

Lyde Wagers  Criscoes Automotive.JPG

Midwest Auto Parts

Midwest Aurto parts.JPG

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

10. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

HOT ROD Drag Week, 2015. Great Lakes Dragaway.

GL 15 016.JPG

11. loudbang

loudbang

Back when a Corvette was just another car. Sad one

sad case.JPG

Nice rig.

tumblr_oid7x3DS9w1qcdxvpo1_1280.jpg

12. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

When was a Corvette just another car? From the first time I noticed them as a kid, maybe 1956,
    they were something special. I got my first ride in one, a '64 roadster, when I was about 15 and
    I dug it a lot. When I got a long fast ride in a '68 coupe in '71 I was hooked and found my '63, then
    stepped up to a 350/350 '69. They didn't become just another car until 1984. And now, people
    don't own Corvettes, Sting Rays or 'vettes, they own C3s and C5s, etc. Now that they're "world class"
    they don't hold any interest for me.

13. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

14. SDC13245.JPG
    Hey Jim,
    Its not my car...I have it advertised for a friend. Here is some of the ad text. Thanks
    The 1962 Corvette you see here has been a drag car since 1968 and it was raced on the AHRA and NHRA tracks in the Mid-West for many years winning several championships. In addition, it was shown in many car shows winning trophies in Competition classes.
    Its last competition race was in 1987, where it ran 11.04 110+mph with most of its current drive train. Much of the history is outlined in a synopsis located in the photos titled “The Glass Onion”, so check it out.
    The name for the car came from a rare Beatles song of the era, so it was appropriate to the owner at the time since the car was fiberglass and he liked the smell of the racing fuel.
    The current owner, Rod Saboury, has converted the car for street use while still retaining its drag racing history. It is ready to drive to your next cruise night or car show. BTW, throughout its history, the car retained its stock front suspension with a lift kit sold at that time. So, the car runs great on the street.

Current equipment on the car includes:

* Honest Factory "No-Hit" Body. All Bonding Strips Intact...Have photos. Uncut rear wheel wells

* Built 454 cu.in.

* M-22 Rockcrusher 4-Speed

* Schaefer 11” Clutch

* Edelbrock Carb.and Manifold

* 1957 Pontiac rear has new 4:11 gears

* MT Street Radials

* New brakes, hoses and wheel cylinders

* New charging system, headlights, brake lights and turn signals

* Receipts and parts lists back to the 60's and 70's

15. If I May add to that, Mr Saboury is a local and well known builder of some magazine quality cars.

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bernie thanks for the write up and picture. Would love to own the car for sure. Stating it is a cool car is an understatement.

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Quick 85 I agree that many of us always thought they were cool but the guys I raced with bought their 57 for a couple of hundred in deplorable condition (if my memory is correct). Many of the old guys that raced them state that they were just cheap cars when they were used up and easy picking for drag racers.

PBRmeASAP, Bowtie Coupe, els and 2 others like this.
  18. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

No doubt you're right, I realize many cars are just available bodies to many racers. No disrespect
    to Loudbang, I was thinking of how Corvettes were magical cars to kids & teens. I'd gladly take
    the shabby one he posted.

19. Thanks Jim...I'll let Rod know. Check his website at rodsaboury.com

Bowtie Coupe, els and loudbang like this.
  20. noboD

noboD

I've seen several other Corvettes that Rod built. I would agree, first class.

vintageauto, els and loudbang like this.
  21. loudbang

loudbang

Not a problem and I meant no disrespect to the owners of them SOME of them did just think of them as just cars but WE know better. :)

22. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Goodguys, Indy, 2008.

IMG_2095.JPG

23. just junky plastic cars...hahaha

chevy57dude, els and loudbang like this.
  24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

A few from a little car and bike show at our local Harley shop. I will post more pics on the thread that is linked in my signature.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. Just sold my Impala convertible to buy my friend's 1958 Vette. He passed away 2 years ago and owned it 44 years. Was built to show in the early 70's. Has a solid lifter 327 and a super T-10.
    DSC09811.JPG

I'm changing the wire wheels to old style Torque Thrusts.
    DSC08149.JPG

1947knuck, nxpress62, Baron and 12 others like this.
  27. elgringo71

elgringo71

Congratulations on the sale and purchase. The Impala was very nice but I prefer the Corvette. The Torque Thrust Wheels will help the look a lot.

OahuEli, els, enloe and 4 others like this.
  28. '58 spears are the defining touch. Glad you ended up with your friend's car. Your wheel choice is perfect.

els, loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  29. jimdillon

jimdillon

Lowkat good stuff. Glad to see it has come together. I also think the wheels will look great.

I saw in your other thread that you may be contemplating a dual quad 409. A good friend in my car club did just that with his 57 Vette. All sorts of pantywaisters will tell you how heavy they are. With aluminum heads they are not all that far out of line, if you want to keep the nose weight somewhat comparable. Just FYI the 348/409 iron setup is around 665lbs., iron head BBC is around 685, aluminum head BBC is around 610., SBC Gen.1 is around 550 to 575. If you are going to consider weight heavily, aluminum heads should get you in the 600 range. With an aluminum water pump and a few other considerations it should get you in the ballpark-not enough to make it silly noseheavy.

My buddy is having fun with his for sure. Exhaust can be tight. If you need headers maybe Tubular Automotive can help. Front mounts are out there. Cool setup if you decide to go that way. Be prepared for double takes if you decide that way.

Cool car.

OahuEli, els, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  30. Jim, I talk big but don't always follow through. Gotta dream you know. A 409 would look and be killer in the '58. I won't give up on the idea but 409's are an expensive hobby.

What is your '57 Vette buddy doing for a hood/intake and how much is sticking out? How did you get the nose up attitude on the car in your avatar?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    loudbang likes this.