Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

posted by MART in the vintage thread

vette mart.jpg

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Loudbang as much as I like Vettes I would love to own the car to the left of the #69 car. Although I am not a Ferrari expert by any stretch it surely has the lines of a 250GT SWB Berlinetta. As to the #69 car, Frank Dominianni drove a 62 Vette with that number to a number of victories in AP in the Northeast (upstate New York if my memory serves me). I was not aware that he drove a 58-60 model but it is possible. He had a two point rollbar as well but not as crude.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  3. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug as to the backwards K, I assume it is a Nickey Chevrolet deal. The car above is from Illinois so the geography is right. The famous Purple People Eater had the K in MKIII backwards on the door and that car was owned by Nickey. I would not doubt that maybe a bit of service on the car above was done at Nickey.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  4. elgringo71

elgringo71

IMG_3156.JPG

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
  5. noboD

noboD

Thanks Jim, guess I was over thinking it.

loudbang likes this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

7. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

nice

bowie likes this.
  8. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

Nice choice of wheels

bowie likes this.
  10. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks ; the pointy spoke ones like these are some of the hardest to come up with 4 good matching ones. I'm kinda a freak for mag torqs.

11. Drooling all over myself, that's my idea of the perfect midyear right there! '64 coupe, blue on blue, small block, 4 spd, upgrade it to disc brakes and it's done in my mind!

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bowie likes this.
  12. Yeah they are! I had a set on a car trailer in the early 80's, and it was stolen out of my driveway one day (I believe someone was watching it, as it was kept under lock and key in the back yard, and wasn't in the unattended driveway for 30 min, and it was gone!). I was convinced we would find it somewhere nearby with no wheels and tires on it, but we never did.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

bowie likes this.
  13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for liking my coupe, fell in love with '64s in particular as a kid. Found this 365 hp one in 1976 , bugged the guy till 1984 till he relented... Stripped 7 layers of paint off her and put her back to original code silver blue in 1986. Those Americans got pieced into a set , one from Hershey in 1978 , one from Carlise flea about 1980 ; the other two from my buddy Guffey about 20 years ago. That sucks how you lost your set. edit: no discs on this one, but she does have the sinter HD brake option and power brakes.

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bowie very nice car-best engine of the era IMO. I read quite a bit on here on the 327 and listen ad infinitum it seems as to how to improve on the 327s of the "days gone by". I have played considerably with a number of SBC engines from 283 to 301/2 and 350s and numerous cam changes over the years but I still like the 365 the best and admittedly I cannot say it is the fastest. It is just something about it that you have to experience I suppose. I have a 327/365 engine I bought over the counter in 1977 for my black 62 and when you put your foot into it is like sitting behind a symphony to me. I bet it sounds just as good in a beautiful mid year coupe as well. Nice.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and bowie like this.
  15. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thank you Jim. When I went over my RE about 4000 mile ago, the only improvements were splayed 4 bolt mains , hyper 11.5 x.020 pistons, roller rockers ,a Cloyes tru roller kit, high volume mellings pump, port match and polish,full balance, and a stock 30/30 solid . Just love kicking in my mechanical 650 double pumper on her... Tach it up !

16. Bowie, that pic is what i dream about, silver blue with the gold line tires....that and the mag wheels........someday

loudbang and bowie like this.
  17. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks PBR, your '63 is cut from the same cloth as my '64.

PBRmeASAP and loudbang like this.
  18. originally mine was silver blue...this just tells me someday it's going to get repainted. Yours is why i had to have mag wheels

loudbang and bowie like this.
  19. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

PBR: Do it to it! It'll look great.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe and PBRmeASAP like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

Wasn't sure if these were gassers so put them here :p Because they ARE Corvette HOT RODS

SHARK

23.jpg

Lil John Lombardo

24.jpg

636.jpg

DavesoldCorvette.jpg

scan0004-2.jpg

21. Now THAT'S a butt clenching moment!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. loudbang

loudbang

Yep let up or hope it straightens out :eek:

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hope this qualifies

Vette_hotrod1.JPG

Credit to Owners, Photographers &
    Original Posters

mad mikey, PBRmeASAP, robber and 3 others like this.
  24. elgringo71

elgringo71

25. Looks like it already got the wall! A little damage below the right bumper.

loudbang likes this.
  26. elgringo71

elgringo71

27. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  28. loudbang

loudbang

posted by thehazeguy in motion thread

[​IMG]

29. loudbang

loudbang

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Have not posted too many Vette hot rods lately so here are some pics I took over the weekend at Autorama. We had a car club display with 8 cars, four of which were Corvettes (all black). When I joined the car club about 10 years ago I was the only old Vette in the club. Now there are 6 guys with old Vettes. The 57 black with silver coves is a fresh build with a dual quad 409 (real 409) and he took first in class. Then we had another fresh build black 61 with a down stance with a 355 that took second and I took third with my black 62 with the up stance. I have owned the 62 for 40 years now and actually refreshed the 62 in 1995 and thankfully it still looks presentable (It took first in class in 2010 and I am happy that it still looks good as I am not in the mood to redo it).

The 67 black with white stinger is another guy in the club with a 427/435 that he bought a couple of years ago from Rick Hendrick-very nice car (the stock rally wheels are temporarily on the shelf). He took second and deserved an award for sure.

There were some other nice Vettes at the show. Even though I am a traditional hot rod guy and not an LS guy there were two really nice Vettes that were very well done. I pretended not to look at the engines. The red 54 out of Knoxville was very well done and was one of the great 8. He did a great job of adapting a 58-60 top. Paint was really nice and had many great touches. The yellow 57 with white coves I heard missed the great 8 cut since it had been shown briefly once before (not sure if this is true). It was really super as far as workmanship. My wife really approved of the car and asked me if I would get some wheels like that but I told her no in a nice way. After suffering through so many clown after market wheels for years I find it refreshing to see some of the salt flat style wheels on a number of the cars. They certainly are a bit more traditional on early Vettes in my estimation.

The show is a nice show but three days at the show and add in move-in day and you are ready for some couch time.

I noticed I forgot to add in the 67 so I edited to include it.

AR17 029.jpg AR17 030.jpg AR17 033.jpg AR17 012r.jpg AR17 014r.jpg AR17 040r.jpg AR17 046r.jpg AR17 047r.jpg
    AR17 018.jpg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017