Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

O Hell, I'm with ya there.

65pacecar and loudbang like this.
  2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Just for the record the car apparently did pretty well in the short period of time it ran. I had some notes buried on my desk and finally found them. I found something on the car on Draglist.com and although I have not confirmed what they printed I can at least relate what they claim.

I found the following on Draglists fastest supercharged gassers for whatever it is worth.

1/4 Mile ET:

10.950 at Indianapolis Raceway Park, 9-65

1/4 Mile MPH:

133.72 at Indianapolis Raceway Park, 9-65

1965 - Category: GASSER, Type: SN, Class: BM/SP, Div: 2

The notes were as follows:

Notes: Arend's cross-species split-window Sting Ray is well-remembered by fans of mid-'60s drag machinery. With a late-model, ram-tubed 426 Dodge hemi feeding the horses though a Torqueflite trans into a quick-change rearend, a straight front axle up front and slicks suspended in massively hogged-out wheelwells in the rear, it had an in-your-face look that stuck in your head. Looks aside, Arend's "Mongoose" won Best Engineered Car at the '65 Nationals, where he reset the BM/SP speed record to 133.72 mph. The following year at the '66 Winternationals at Pomona he turned 135 mph times.

1966-

1966 - Category: GASSER, Type: SN, Class: BM/SP, Div: 2

1/4 Mile ET:

10.760 at Pomona Winternationals, 2-66

1/4 Mile MPH:

137.40 at Warner Robins 66 (10/21/66 National Dragster)

Not too shabby

3. mkebaird

mkebaird

Indeed, I guess looks aren't everything.

4. noboD

noboD

5. PONTNAK123

PONTNAK123
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

my wifes 61 fuelie thumbnail_IMG_0278-1.jpg

1947knuck, quick85, Baron and 11 others like this.
  6. elgringo71

elgringo71

7. robber

robber

8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Robber nice picture. Is that yours? Do you have any pictures of the way it looked when it ran in D/MP?

loudbang and robber like this.
  9. robber

robber

Hi jimdillon, I wish this was mine... she's sweet and definitely qualifies as a Hot Rod! I love Corvettes (among others) which is why I was at this event. I've had 2, and currently have an OT roadster. I didn't meet the owner, but "Little Black" definitely caught my eye. I loved watching very similar 'vettes run at Lions Drag Strip as a kid. They would literally LEAP cp 710.JPG off the track on the launch! Glad you like the picture... here's a side view for ya:) Cheers... robber

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
    1947knuck, 65pacecar, enloe and 11 others like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

Robber it looks very nice. Not sure if supercharging was ever allowed in D/MP and I believe a hood was required. Cool car no matter what. If the world record was in D/MP it was most likely with the 283. I wish I could find some of those rear tires. Good stuff all around.

11. loudbang

loudbang

No never superchargers in M/P and yes on the hood.

cruiserjohn76, 1947knuck and Baron like this.
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Figured as much Loudbang but I do not have too many AHRA rulebooks and they did things a bit differently. Also did not follow the rules too much past the early 70s. NHRA was a bit tougher on the MP boys in the way of rules than AHRA in my opinion. Funny thing is I bought a couple of AHRA rulebooks off of ebay a few months ago and filed them somewhere and for the life of me I can't find them.

Baron, robber and loudbang like this.
  13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It surprises me how many 56-7 Corvettes are still out there that have not been totally restored to stock. Warms my heart to know they haven't all been turned back into matching number clones. :)

14. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Is that a 74 to 77? Kind of a much overlooked vintage. As long as the frame and bird cage are structurally sound you may be well off. In that era 4 speeds were falling to 10% of production. Just the reverse of the 60's. You don't see many L82's either. I hope we get to see what you do with it.

15. 34ford5w

34ford5w
    from Colorado

I figured I have 33 ford grills worth more than what I paid for the car so what the hell! Can't wait to stuff a big block bad ass chevy with 4sp in the 56 vette I have though straight axle and a p rearend though!!!

16. I had this wreck for almost 25 years. Non-match 327, 4-speed, 4.11 chunk. I did some paint work in exchange for a chromed and polished FI unit comprised of '63-'65 parts from a road racer at Sears Point. I had the engine balanced and blueprinted, port and gasket matched, big solid lifter cam, 11:1 compression.

I tried to keep a stock/sleeper look sometimes with 1" ww and hubcaps or redlines on '67 ralleys but underneath that sheep skin was a wolf. I put a 396 hood on it without the chrome gills so you could see some of the motor. This thing embarrassed a whole lot of 5.0 Mustangs and fart canned imports.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  17. robber

robber

Here's another... just for grins:) cp 680.JPG

18. loudbang

loudbang

Tony Feil’s C-1 E/Modified Production Corvette is prepped for another round at Englishtown, New Jersey.

Feil-Tony-2.jpg

19. robber

robber

20. robber

robber

How about one in transition? cp 561.JPG cp 656.JPG

PONTNAK123 and PBRmeASAP like this.
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

Robber that front end treatment looks familiar. It may be that more than one 57 Vette had that similar modification but wonder if you have the history on the car.

22. robber

robber

jimdillon... I was intrigued by the reduced grill opening and the reversed bezels (interesting approach). I was able to capture this baby in these 2 stages, and I hope to see it again in the Spring. I don't have the history, but if I can get some details, I'll be sure and share them, and hopefully have more images of how this little one's progressing.

23. robber

robber

24. B1gDaddy

B1gDaddy
    from aladambama

My daily - its a riot.

You cant imagine how many questions i get about this car when i stop somewhere for a coke or gas, BUT i have never had someone tell me " my uncle had one just like it..." funny. Yes those are magnesium, yeah it's got three coats of paint on it, no i'm not going to paint it, yes its a real 396 car with the real motor. only God knows how it has lived thru my thrashing and the previous owner, but it's still hanging on.

BadNews.JPG

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^^^ Definitely got that 'King of the Mountain' vibe going on BigDaddy.:D
    Don't resemble Dennis Hopper by any chance do ya?
    [​IMG]

26. suchadrag

suchadrag

Chattanooga, Tenn., circa 1970

Frigate vette two.jpg

Frigate vette four.jpg

1947knuck, 65pacecar, enloe and 5 others like this.
  27. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

OH Hell Yes!

loudbang likes this.
  28. My old 64 street car...had a '66 350 hp 327 with headers and a 3 barrel, muncie 4 speed with Hurst linkage, 4.10 posi. Was super fun! I bought it as a red car and had it painted black..factory black interior.
    64vette1972.jpg

29. Where's the NCRS decal???

30. loudbang

loudbang

The late Larry Kopp owned Ted’s Towing Service, a family business in Baltimore, MD. His weekends were spent pounding a series of Modified Eliminator winners that included Camaro’s, Corvette’s and a Chevelle Malibu. All of Kopp’s cars were functionally clean and well prepared, and exceptionally competitive. Kopp won many classes and Eliminators and set numerous class records with power from Dave Alioso Racing Engines.

Kopp-Larry.jpg

Dick Moroso was drag racer long before he became a speed parts manufacturer and race track owner. Moroso’s cars ran hard in Street/Modified Eliminator, and he took lessons learned and parts handmade to create a large, successful company that lives on today. Dick and the late Jere Stahl even collaborated on many speed parts. Ford Econoline van in background is Jerry Tyson’s, the “Chrondek Timers Man” for east of The Rocky Mountains.

Moroso-Dick-1-595x369.jpg

After the ’38 “Moose” was sent back to the woods Reinford Brothers built this modern C-2 Corvette. The ‘Vette was equally competitive and successfully carried on the spirit of “The Moose” until NHRA killed off Modified Eliminator and sent Moose fans packing.

Reinford-Paul-2-595x447.jpg