Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

3. elgringo71

elgringo71

2D8D352D-1193-46E0-AAEA-0AD8B6D5B421.jpeg
    I never was a fan of the XP-700 or what ever it was called. It reminds me of a catfish

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  4. elgringo71

elgringo71

5. elgringo71

elgringo71

6. elgringo71

elgringo71

7. 1934coupe

1934coupe

#9277 Corvette was a regular at Dover drag strip, that is where this picture is at.

Pat

Bowtie Coupe, Deuces and elgringo71 like this.
  8. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

The Secret Service can't let Joe get loopy from paint fumes. Of course,
    he could let his pal Jay Leno take care of it.

chevy57dude, Deuces and 427 sleeper like this.
  9. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wadda'ya mean, GET loopy? He's already hiding his own Easter eggs, and it's only Thanksgiving! LOL! :D

quick85, chevy57dude and Deuces like this.
  10. bschwoeble

bschwoeble

Nice. An injected "62" running in A/Sp. Where is Mr. Peabody's Way Back Machine when you need it?

11. hipojoe

hipojoe

As much as I like race cars and their look, I prefer the stealth of a fast street car! DSCF0047.JPG

12. A set of chrome reverse wheels would set off that '63.

13. hipojoe

hipojoe

I learned way back in the 70s from some of the Fastest street racers in So Cal, show up with a grandma going for groceries car that could rip off an 11.00 and always go home with a couple extra Benjamins in my wallet.:D

Deuces and enloe like this.
  14. jimdillon

jimdillon

If anyone raced a grandma going for groceries car, that ran 11s for money, and were hoodwinked, I would have to question their future as a street racer. Running in the 11s for a street car took a bit of work (during my era) and probably had a bit of a rumble at the stop light. As a creature of the 60s and 70s I ran into a few so called "sleepers". I do not know of any of my friends that ever fell for so called "sleepers". We may see what they had from a roll but not in a real race. If they had the ability to really run the numbers and/or sounded mean, only a few neophytes were fooled. Even 12 second cars were a rare deal in the 60s, maybe not so much in the 70s. There were some four doors that ran good numbers but once again anyone pretty savvy could figure out if they had what it took. I remember a lot of races on Woodward and Telegraph and knew some of the guys that ran 150+ on I-696 west of Orchard Lake and all of them used common sense (other than the whole racing on the street concept) and did their homework when money was on the line.

Also Jason-some nice pics for sure. Pat, the red 62 was Everett Branscombe who was quite successful with the car and he ran Dover as well. The white 59 with the X-700 nose was the sister car that ran out of Moroso's Performance Automotive and he ran Dover and other east coast tracks for a year or so. I watched the Seaport car run although I liked the earlier version when it was all white with the hardtop. Car was not only fast but really loud-always cracked me up how loud it was when Ken Clark drove it.

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Thanks Jim, the red 62 looked familiar but I couldn't place it. Those wheels look odd, anyone know what they are?

Pat

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat I wondered on the wheels as well-wish I knew.

17. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Uh dude, your profile says you were born in 1986. I might have gotten a "D" in calculus in college, but basic math says that's after the 70's.

mad mikey, Deuces, enloe and 2 others like this.
  18. hipojoe

hipojoe

I got an A in street racing back in the day, as well as not showing all my cards. Rest assured I am well into my GREY beard days. In the 70s an L88 could make 500- 600 hp no sweat. There is always someone willing to take on all comers. Funny thing is we might meet the competition at the track and they would be explaining ALL about their cars and the numbers they make and the first rule of street racing stealth, is NEVER bring your (street) car to the track. Back then a bottle of laughing gas with a 200 shot system would make their heads spin., GOOD TIMES!

19. jimdillon

jimdillon

An L88 could make some real horsepower for sure and I have a NOS first series L88 camshaft on the shelf. I thought of using it but they are not too friendly at idle or low RPMS and they make some real music. Hard to hide the lope of an L88-they make some of the best noise for sure. Nitrous was a bit after my era on the street and strip.

Deuces, enloe and 427 sleeper like this.
  20. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

21. Deuces

Deuces

The "L" in L-88 stands for legendary....;):cool:

22. jimdillon

jimdillon

The first L 88 that I remember was the crate L88 that the guys I raced with put in the 57 Vette. I believe we just bolted on the Enderle Injection and ran it with the way it came out of the crate for a season. When I did my avatar car I kind of did it as a tribute to the 57 we raced and had plans to use the L88 cam I had bought but changed my mind as I wanted the car to be a bit more streetable. I had earlier attended the Glenmoor Gathering a number of years ago and ran across a blue 68 Camaro that was going up to the reviewing stand to receive an award and I asked him on his return what cam he had in the car. He told me it was an L88 with the stock cam so I went out and bought a stock L88 cam the following week. Still sits on the shelf but they have a great sound for sure. In my earlier post I suppose I was pointing out that if a so called sleeper pulled up with an L88, I am not so sure anyone with common sense would waste good money unless they knew they had more than enough to cover. The performance and the rumble of an L88 was unmistakable.

I am not so sure that the buyer really overpaid on the 62 posted by MCjim. Pretty hard to find a solid axle for less than 10 and drag cars have some allure. If I was younger I probably would have bid on the car.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim
    For years, whenever car guys gathered and talk got around to big block Chevys, there was always someone who had an uncle with a L-88 engine in his (fill in the blank).
    But not as many as the age old "Corvette" small block engine (aren't they all).

mad mikey and Deuces like this.
  24. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

My Corvette has a van engine in it...

Deuces, enloe, scotty t and 1 other person like this.
  25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug, I have always been a fan of the 427 probably for a variety of reasons. If I had a chance for a 502 or 572 or even the new 632 I still would choose the 427-something magical in my mind I suppose. Other than the L88 we ran I don't remember any others in my orbit. I am sure there were a couple but just do not remember them. I also have the same malady when it comes to the small block-I really like the 327. We all know there are better and faster and quicker combinations than the 427 BBC or 327 SBC but it probably brings back good memories. I remember a dark blue 1967 Baldwin Motion Chevelle SS 427 that used to stop by the Sunoco station I worked at in my teens. Would love to see another one today. I was driving a 1966 Chevelle SS396 at the time but I always thought the SS427 was a cut above. I have often thought of cloning that car but that is and was a pipe dream.

Deuces, enloe, 427 sleeper and 2 others like this.
  26. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Jim I was living on LI NY in the mid 60's and the Motion cars where all over the place, at every burger joint and cruise hangout( they didn't call them cruises yet). The hood on my 62 was done by the body shop that built the hoods for Motion I think they where called "Custom Enterprise". And yes Like you I prefer a 327 and 427 over all the others.

Pat

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

There's just something the way 327 and 427 rolls off the tongue, I guess that dates me huh!
    A friend of mine bought a 427 from the in-house engine guy of a big name local SCCA racer in the late 70's and though I don't know the exact DNA, (could have started as a crate engine) it was always an L-88, it sure was nasty.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
  28. jimdillon

jimdillon

It does roll off the lips Doug, but back in our by gone days 327s and 427s held their own more often than not. Here is a picture of the 427 I put in the avatar car back in 2012. I did not end up using the dual quad manifold and it too sits on a shelf along with the Crower stack injection I bought. I put an old Edelbrock dual plane manifold and it ran so good I never changed it out. Still puts a smile on my face every time I fire it up.
    Red 427 r.jpg

29. I took the ole 57 out one last time. E6A7B9B7-B8DD-4C7A-B383-267004F76750.jpeg
    This is a blatant rip off of @Moriarity ’s signature photo shoot:D
    93565BE0-0051-4788-A66E-247A3E07B89D.jpeg