Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. loudbang

loudbang

Here is a Vette Running B/MP posted by Johnny Steele in the in motion thread

[​IMG]

2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Appears this car had a Thunderbolt style hood scoop on it prior to this aluminum box scoop.

chryslerfan55, scotty t and loudbang like this.
  3. loudbang

loudbang

4. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

5. loudbang

loudbang

This vette has been in here before but I don't think this shot has been posted before

sport4.jpg

6. loudbang

loudbang

7. loudbang

loudbang

8. loudbang

loudbang

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB good picture of Grassman's 61 B/Sp at the 62 Winternationals. Bert Brown who occasionally posts on here still owns the car. The story of the car and Bert's ownership is a pretty cool story. Bert bought the car without engine in 68 and put in a 327/350 and drove it for years accumulating 150,000 miles I believe. After owning it for years he decided to restore the car to as raced condition and searched and found Grassman and Grassman still had the original engine and some of the original parts.

The car did win class at the 62 Winternats and went on to run in street eliminator but Earl Wade in a 62 Vette ended up winning street eliminator (A/Sp).

Here is a picture of the car today. Cool IMO that we have a Vette racecar from the era in the as raced condition, as opposed to plain stock. Also the car was driven by Hugh Osterman at the 62 event and Osterman later drove a number of let's say more powerful cars such as Pure Hell and Jim Busby's top fuel dragster.
    1961ChevroletCorvette_01_1000-700x382r.jpg

As an aside here is a picture of an old 61 hot rod that I looked at for a friend that recently passed away. The car is complete but has an LT1 and the car has not been driven since 1975. This was a picture on the day that I helped rescue the car from deep storage.

I am not selling the car, nor associated with it directly but if any guys are interested in an old 61 to play with it is available. PM me if any interest. Vette 61 JDp2.JPG

10. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

The red '66 coupe above is one of only 4 L88s built by Chevrolet for the 1966 model year. They were all coupes and still exist. There were other '66 Corvettes that received L88 engines. These engines were shipped too dealers after the cars arrival. They were usually shipped M22 transmissions with the L88 engines.

11. I only recently became familiar with the "hayseed" car and fell in love with the several incarnations of it. Then I heard that it was restored using it's own original parts to it's fuelly 4spd roots, now I'm conflicted! A real injected four gear car vs a cool race car.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  12. jimdillon

jimdillon

I know which way I would go without even considering it. It is historic not because it is a 57 injected car with whatever options (other than the big brake etc option) but because it is Hayseed. I would bet the original owner shows pictures of it as Hayseed and not a picture of the car as it came from the factory. I have heard the racing parts are being put to use with a recreation-which is cool but not the same IMO. Around 10 years ago I was tempted to bid on a red/white cove 57 fuel injected four speed car in excellent condition at an auction at Meadowbrook, so I am certainly a fan of that model. I was bummed afterwards for not buying it as it went I believe in the $50,000 range and it was quite stunning. Still Corvettes have a reputation as a performance model for a reason and part of that reason was its success on the race track. The success at the dealer ship in terms of sales is nearing absurdity if you see the numbers that were sold.

13. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Have we seen this one?

1961 quarter miler.jpg

14. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Dan that 62 seems to be familiar. I had thought it was on the east coast-maybe in the Carolinas if it is the same car.

I agree it needs to be saved although I would like to go to church and say many prayers for the sake of the frame before looking at it.

The tank (or keg) and hood treatment is interesting. Wonder if it is an old drag car?

chryslerfan55, loudbang and enloe like this.
  16. vetteguy402

vetteguy402
    from omaha, ne

I'd buy it even if it had a bad frame, you can get another one. As long as you can get it on the trailer in one piece. It looks as though it might have a bit of race history, but one picture tells an incomplete story.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  17. rudestude

rudestude

It's been saved...or at least it has been removed from where it was ..but where it went ..that I do not know ...a while back I posted a picture of it on this thread I believe that showed it being put on a trailer.... I will see if I can find out some info on it and I will post the results...

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  18. rudestude

rudestude

Found it ...it was offered on cl for $24.000 it's got a new owner now ..go to fox news look up mossy green corvette....or barnfinds.com car has a interesting story behind it....it was a drag car then it was being fitted for a 427 and work was stopped and car was parked and well you can read it for your self.......here is another one I spotted while looking up the other one.... 1538977953507371428808.jpeg 1538977978670842606308.jpeg 15389781540401789369002.jpeg

19. rumblegutz

rumblegutz

Thanks rudestude. I thought I had seen it before.

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

Glad it was rescued. The $24,500 is a bit high IMO the way it sat at the time of sale (if the car came without a drivetrain and all of the other parts) but the car overall looks pretty decent. With the interest in restomods there are more than a couple of available frames but when they are heavily rusted from sitting out in the elements the frames and interior metalwork in the doorjambs and under the dash can create problems (ask me how I know as I keep looking at one of my future projects that met such a fate). I also had a friend buy an old Vette project where he was astounded at what it did to the gauges and heater controls etc.

I see it was from New Jersey but had thought it may have been from the Carolinas (of that part of the country) where someone sent me a picture of what I thought was a 62 that sat out in the elements to ask what I thought. There are more than a couple of these sad projects out there for sure. I met a guy recently who bought a rough big brake car and I am going to go look at it one of these days. I am hoping to put in my .02 cents to get him to restore the car even though it is pretty sad. I know of another big brake car that a friend sent me a picture of a number of years ago with a bad frame. Those are definitely worth saving no matter what the effort. The accompanying story in the future thought may not always be 100% accurate but that is the state of affairs today I suppose.

A couple of years ago I saved a pretty sad 61 frame that came with a very incomplete 58 back half body as I was going to use if for a drag car, so not a big deal on whether it would pass NCRS muster. The comical part was I welded bracing to the frame before I took it to have it dipped and the guy at the dipper told me he would have to charge extra for the extra steel. I told him it was only to hold the frame together. When I picked it up he thanked me and told me no extra charge as it saved him from rescuing pieces from the bottom of his tank. Kind of a challenge to "restore" it but I had a bunch of steel sitting there doing nothing and the GM frame specs on the wall next to it and it came out as well as I expected. I have a friend trying to save his frame for his 62 and I told him it was much easier to go find a roller on ebay but he did not listen. The bill he is going to get from his restorer is going to hurt I am afraid.

As much as I like a challenge I am afraid I would not take on the other 56/57 nightmare in the above collage. What happened to that car is just sad.

21. rudestude

rudestude

It's sad to see and it's hard to believe stuff like that is still just sitting.. I know of one car in fact it's a 59 Vette that I was going to buy in around 1978-79 I was in high school..it was at a little gas station that two brothers had about 6 miles from my house it was 283 4spd both tops and had been sort of customized , rear fender lips flaired just a little couple other minor things and one of the brothers had ditch it one drunk night busted up the nose just a little they had all the new parts to fix it but not installed went for a spin up the road drove good they wanted 2500 talked them down to 2200 then one of them said they needed something to drive when it wad sold ..it was there only transportation, so I offered my 68 Olds Cutlass , straight 6 car, and 1800 they said yep..so went to talk to dad ...he said no...went back to talk to them and it was gone...well years went buy and a couple times I had heard it was still in the area in a barn but could never find where...about four years ago I was at a guys house looking at a car for sale and this guy pulls in started talking with the owner of the place he ask if we knew each other no we exchanged names and in the conversation I learned he was the guy that bought the Vette and he drove it home pulled the engine and that was it and it was still parked in the barn...he invited me up to check it out along with other cars he had but before I made it up there, witch turned out to be less than five miles from my house, he died...and all of his stuff went to his wife and meth head son ..last I heard the mother and son are both drugged out of there minds and the place is a flop house for druggies and the cars are all still there....then just two days ago a friend was telling me about a guy that he knows that has a 60 Vette that he has had for a long time and how it's always been parked inside and how the guy took good care of it but he is not doing well health wise and the car is now parked outside in the weather but then the conversation got interrupted and I didn't get a chance to get any more info....not that I could do anything about it at this time due to my health problem, I just sold off six of my toys, still got three ,...but I could at least spread the word .....

22. loudbang

loudbang

23. loudbang

loudbang

24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Loudbang's photo:

Zred show coupe.jpg

25. loudbang

loudbang

26. loudbang

loudbang

Buckshot

hot stock & sport.jpg

Vette Kong

hot vette kong.JPG

27. loudbang

loudbang

I forget if I posted the first one already

forget.jpg

Reid's Automotive

hot reids automotive.jpg

hot5.jpg

28. jimdillon

jimdillon

LB you have a picture above of the 1962 Corvette called Wildabeast that you referenced as Randy Payne. I am mildly familiar with a Randy Payne that made his mark driving Fords in the late 60s. I also have a picture of a 62 Vette that looks to be Wildabeast with one of the names on the side is Payne. I am curious I suppose what happened to Wildabeast when Skip Hess moved on to his Anglia and I assume it may have been campaigned by Payne. If you look at the photo above you can make out Wildabeast on the door (when I do not remember Hess having the name on the door when he drove it). How did you come up with Randy Payne driving/owning the car at the time the photo was taken (Facebook or???). Just want to add to my file on the car.

chryslerfan55, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  29. loudbang

loudbang

Sorry I don't know anything more about it I just add the info that comes with the photo and that is how it was labeled. (not on a vette site) just a site with a mixture of photos

30. rooman

rooman

Jim,
    the Randy Payne that you are referring to was initially a Ford guy who raced with Hubert Platt for many years and later ran a series of GM Pro Stock stockers that included a Camaro (Mr Big Stuff) and a couple of Vegas (Lil' Big Stuff and Lil' Wonder). I can't find any reference to him running a Corvette so maybe it is another Payne, possibly west coast based.

Roo

chryslerfan55 and Bowtie Coupe like this.