Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    For your doodling pleasure:)

2. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

4. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

5. loudbang

loudbang

C-1 assembly

EDIT: from bowie C-2

c1 ass.JPG

Milpitas Missile in back

milpitas missle and drag.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2018
  6. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

I agree cool pic of a 63 split window being glued together.

I had a friend send me a few pics of a 58 Vette that raced under the name of Pogo II in Indiana back in the 60s, as it looks today. Ran as a C/A in Indiana mainly. I have not asked if I can post the pics but does it ring a bell with anyone?

Bowtie Coupe, enloe and loudbang like this.
  8. loudbang

loudbang

I remember posting a car or two with the name pogo can't remember if one was a Vette.

cruiserjohn76, Bowtie Coupe and enloe like this.
  9. jimdillon

jimdillon

I seem to remember as well the name Pogo but can't seem to locate a pic offhand.

loudbang and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

I found the pic that LB had posted in the Corvette Gasser thread of Pogo II but the photos sent to me by my friend on his i phone have come in upside down and I try to rotate them and they do not stay rotated. I have done a search and there are programs I can buy but my computer is full of semi useless programs. I will try when I have more common sense later on to see if there is still a way to rotate them. I have had success with saving my wife's pics by making a lot of changes and saving the changes but it is not working here. Pogo running ba.jpg IMG_0349.JPG

11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

IMG_0349.JPG

IMG_0349 - Copy.JPG

12. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Quick 85. If it is not too much trouble (let me know if it is) and to play the violin and state it is for the sake of diehard Corvette nuts, I will upload the others if you want and when you correct them I will remove mine. There are not too many, six more I believe. I played with them and maybe all but one will stay upright.

If anyone remembers the car please feel free to chime in.

IMG_0350.JPG IMG_0351.JPG IMG_0352.JPG IMG_0353.JPG IMG_0354.JPG IMG_0355.JPG

13. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

14. jimdillon

jimdillon

Thanks Moriarity.

It is great to see that there are still some of these old warriors that are hidden in garages here and there. I have asked my friend to get any history on the car. Cool car IMO. Owner has made some changes like removing the roll bar and installing front bumpers and takes it to shows (with the obvious change in induction).

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe, bowie and 2 others like this.
  15. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I'm about 99 % positive that this car is a recreation.

loudbang likes this.
  16. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Jim, I'm glad I could help and I see Moriarity joined in. I'm always a little leery to fool with
    someone's pics without asking but it's only to help out.

17. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Tommyd are you talking about the "Pogo II" corvette?

Pat

tommyd likes this.
  18. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Deuces likes this.
  19. jimdillon

jimdillon

So as to not sully this thread or the car I have been assured it is 100% the real deal. Of course I do not know the car firsthand so I am relying on others. It is owned by a lifelong friend of a very good friend of mine. From the outset I asked for the history and other info on the car as I try and make Corvette files on the old racecars. I was told I would get some of the history and other photos a few days ago so before we write this car off I would prefer that we wait for any updates that I receive.

Of course if Tommy was to have some definitive proof to back up his claim that would be great. I think it may be an admirable thing for us on the HAMB to get it right-as long as we don’t slip into any unnecessary drama.

loudbang, mkebaird and Bowtie Coupe like this.
  20. loudbang

loudbang

21. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Yes I am.

loudbang likes this.
  22. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I was told that this car was mostly built at Tom Culbertsons in Indpls In.

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  23. jimdillon

jimdillon

Tommy after contacting my friend what I understand is that the basic body and interior is as found as allegedly as raced in 1974. When the car was found it was missing the engine and drivetrain. The engine and drivetrain was done at Culbertson's shop. The body and interior is pretty much as found. I know he removed the rollbar as he wants to drive the car and it appears he added the windshield. I would bet he installed the shifter etc and probably made a few changes to make it driveable. He knows it had stack injection which I would prefer of course but it is his car and his decisions.

The problem with these old racecars is what does it take to make it a recreation and how important is the original engine. What is a recreation? To some it may be seeing Pogo II and having an old Vette in the barn and make it look like it-to others the term means different things. The term stirs my passion and I am not the only guy and would not rather get started. I dabble in the old racecars from the teens and some of the stuff done with early racecars is what really gets me going. My avatar car was an old drag car that ran Sp, MSP and MP from 64 to 78 and I bought the car in 82 with a POS 327 sitting in the engine bay out of a Camaro I believe and a rear end assembly barely bolted in out of a 58 Vette to make it "correct" I suppose. I have two other old Vettes nightmare drag cars and neither have the original engine or drivetrain but I am lucky for what I got with the cars as they were just used up old junk for the most part. Engines in the car were somewhat disposable especially when you are talking SBC and BBC which are quite common. In some racecars a rare engine (ie L88) may be really necessary and in other situations the engine may be like bullets that you replace when the present one is spent.

As to this car I believe it is a pretty cool car and although I am not a patina guy at heart I still like it. It would be nice if it had all of the original stuff as raced but like many old racecars such was not their fate. Hopefully I can get some more pictures one day but I also know my buddy is building an old drag car and he sent me the pics on his cell and did not expect me to be taking up all of this time.

24. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Well , I just checked with someone who I know and trust here in Indy and he say's this IS the Pogo car 100%. I took the word of someone who didnt know and I assumed he did. My bad and lesson learned.

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

No problem, my buddy that knows the car has always been a straight shooter. The problem is that some of HAMBers really appreciate these old Vettes so when an old one shows up, it seems to be a bit special compared to a completely new build.

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Sam Emerson is a legend around here. Still has some really cool cars and shows up at some of the local cruise's Here's a couple of his former cars. 15194605_1795950514013562_3989181344620344477_o.jpg 12525531_1679255985683016_3015488677700864624_o.jpg

27. jimdillon

jimdillon

Tommy, I have said it before, Prontito was probably my favorite car. I watched it run many times and it never failed to impress me. Ron Reader built the car originally and I talked to him at length on the car (ran under Midwest Auto the company he owned) then he sold it to Roger Davenport who called it Prontito then George Foltz (maybe in partnership with Emerson) you may know better on that point and then ran under the Emerson brothers as well. Ron Reader took the car to Indy in 67 with Bob Schaeffer as his driver but had issues and they put the engine in Kanners AM/SP entry and won class. In the yellow livery after Davenport had sold the car (but still named Prontito, they took it to Indy in 69 and won class (B/G).

My buddy told me that Sam Emerson was one of the owners of Pogo II and he told me he is still around. I will never forget watching Dave Kanners driving Prontito when it was painted black with Prontito on the side after Davenport bought the car. Not sure why Kanners was driving the car that day at Milan (can't remember if was 68 or 69) but he stood it up on the bumper twice running B/G and ran a 10.60 without really letting off. Great running car. Cool stuff.

28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

29. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Holy cow! love vettes. 943.jpg 886.jpg 848.jpg

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

For whatever it is worth here is a picture of the old Midwest 57 when it ran under the ownership of the Emerson Brothers. It was one of those cars that seemed to make me say wow every time. Vette-2-Emerson Bros.jpg