Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

.:d.

Attached Files:

2. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

Every single oraface was glassed over when i bought it cowl , gas door all emblems chrome bumpers wipers , spears,top chrome...you name it . Looked like a big go cart body, couldnt live with it like that

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What numbers does this beautiful car run ?

4. vetrod62

vetrod62

Great car!!!!! And it proves my point that these cars need a dropped axle. Plus, if you do not race it, it does not count. Just bad ass.

5. Gasserdriver

Gasserdriver

Thought I would post this up on the theory that some of you Oklahoma guys might remember or know where this car went or is today. It's a longshot but here goes.

Jerry Soaker had Cody Par build a white 1959 Corvette in 1962. The car ran a 301 small block with a 4-speed, 4.56 gear, old school ladder bars, radias wheel wells, Par Auto painted on the side and it was a hardtop car with red leather.

Ran the fair grounds every weekend, street raced out of Carp's on lincoln and Bixler's on 23rd, every friday night.

High profile and fast car, everyone knew and recognized this corvette around town.

I talked to Jerry at the SW Street Rod Nat's last year and he asked me if I knew what happened to it. He want's it back!

The last time I saw this car was in 1966 at the glass shop at 12th and North May. It was for sale for $1200.00 as it ran, minus motor and tranny.

If any of you old oklahoma guys know of or have seen it or know anything, drop me a PM or post on this thread.

I don't have a pic of this car!

Thanks, Fred

6. jimdillon

jimdillon

Grandpa, looks like a great car. Glad to see these cars showing their stuff on the drag strip. I may have to run down to Thompson this year. When you get a moment feel free to fill us in a bit on the engine/induction. Great stuff.

Rocky that 59 is great. You did a great job. Take some videos when you run the car. You are a bit of a distance from me I believe. Looks absolutely great.

Fred will keep my eyes open for any pics.

Good to see this thread brought out two absolutely killer Vettes.-Jim

7. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Testing

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  8. Greezeball

Greezeball

Holy shit! What a beast!!

H

9. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

Vetrod62,
    post some pics of yours for the guys that missed em the last time.some beautiful cars
    rocky,youve got a very nice collection
    grampa ,some more pics and details of your fine ride
    awesome thread

10. That is very BADASS!

11. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

Jack Harts Wild Frog !!

Attached Files:

12. WCD

WCD

Very cool. And yet another rare gasser. Appears to be of 69-71 vintage; psychidellic paint, polished Cragers and tall Hillborns.

13. richie rebel

richie rebel

that silver 57 is a beautiful car, no question......

14. Sky Pilot

Sky Pilot

thanks G B :D glad i could share them !

15. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Can anybody tell me how to post this picture under the Crazy Grandpa name on the left side of the page. I have tried a number of different things and can't seam to figure it out.

Attached Files:

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just PM'd you ( the second message may be easier)
    with info.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  17. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Few more pics

Attached Files:

18. vetrod62

vetrod62

Sure, no problem. Plus a few of my fellow NJO racers.

My car
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The green car is my friend Butch, that I have raced for 40+ years.
    [​IMG]

The engine we built last year.
    [​IMG]

Butch and Mike last Fall
    [​IMG]

New combo as of last year. T Bolt hood, cold ram air and new manifold. Good enough to destroy my wonderful M22w trans that worked well for years on the first hard pass. That's racing.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BTW, Butch and I are Grand Pops times 8 each and still going for it. CG, to bad you are in Ohio, you would fit in real well with the North Jersey Outlaws.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  19. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

^^^^^very nice,thanks

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

[​IMG]

Is this a gasser or a funny? And, if so, what is the difference?

Personally, i consider anything with a tube frame and full/fiberglass body to be a funnycar----regardless if the doors work or not.

This means, i consider the current pro-stocks to be funny cars even though they are not officially regarded as such.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  22. im pretty sure that if the body has to be lifted to get the driver out its a funny car

23. jimdillon

jimdillon

As to the question of funny cars and what was required in the mid sixties, for a truly definitive answer, someone with all of the rule books would have to chime in. Although they eventually went to flip top bodies there were a number of cars that preceded the flip top cars. Generally if the A/G cars made a few too many modifications they ended up running experimental which morphed into funny car. I am pretty sure even Stone Woods and Cook “A” Willys ended up on the match race circuit in the mid sixties running against the funny cars.

I am certainly not the go-to guy on the genesis of the funny cars but a number of guys that ran in the top ranks (moreso than just A/G) found that the match race circuit was pretty lucrative and a number built cars to run against other dedicated match racers.

As far as Corvettes, they did run in some of the gas classes but that pretty much started in 1968 (with a couple of exceptions). Prior to 1968 in the NHRA, “stock” Vettes ran in the sports class and the modified cars ran in modified sports. The big blocks ran mostly in BM/SP (mostly injected) and small blocks mainly in CM/SP and DM/SP. If the car was supercharged they bumped up a class generally as was the case with Mazmanian.

Actually there were a couple of early Vettes that ran in the funny car classes. There was the 58 Vette owned by Charlie Wilson and driven by Dale Pulde, called Vicious Vette. I believe they ran a small block then a big block Chevy supercharged early on and later switched to a blown Chrysler Hemi. I have read somewhere they eventually ran a 426 on fuel. Then there was Bob Pickett’s 59 Vette (pretty sure it was a 59) called Mr. Pickett. This car ran a blown small block in the early 60s in AM/SP I believe and even then he had little competition. He switched to Chrysler hemis as well and eventually ran a blown 392 on fuel. Neither of these cars had tube chassis or flip bodies and ran close to stock wheel base (Vicious Vette appeared to move the wheel base forward just a bit).

When 68 came along these “funnies” would be outdated and both owners replaced the Vettes with specially built flip top cars. Also in 1967 (late in the year for the 1968 season), NHRA did away with modified sports which moved those cars in to the gas classes and they ran gas for a number of years. Also about this time though modified production became more popular and some of these old Vettes made the switch to modified production or ran in the modified eliminator classes with the high winding small blocks.

With all of the classes they ran it is hard to figure out all of the ins and outs of the class requirements without a score card, for sure. The Stone Woods and Cooke Vette posted above I believe ran as a match racer/funny car, although I am not overly familiar with its history.

Here are a couple of pics of Vicious Vette and Mr. Pickett-Jim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  24. jimdillon

jimdillon

Grandpa your car looks as good under the hood as it does on the outside. Hopefully you will fill us in on the details. Looks like you have run the car before. What kind of numbers did it run?

Jim I never get sick looking at the fun you guys have with your toys-Jim

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Taken at my old shop.Little chassis work on Dan's 10 second Pro-Street Coupe.
    [​IMG]

26. 32 for me

32 for me
    from SO. CAL.

Here is mine frome the '70's. ran Super Gas, 9.80 index. Best was a 9.51@149. A real fun car. It had a 427 with a 4 speed Lenco.

Attached Files:

• 7058.jpg
      7058.jpg
      File size:
      92.7 KB
      Views:
  27. Carnuba

Carnuba
    BANNED

Back in the 70's we went to an all Super Gas event at Terminal Island. One of the best days I had at the track as a spectator. That was a GREAT class.

28. WCD

WCD

29. Belvedere65

Belvedere65
    from Alabama

Taken at Indy in 1965 at U.S. Nationals.

Attached Files:

oldtymehiboy likes this.
  30. jimdillon

jimdillon

Belvedere65 I am familiar with Mongoose and the City of Industry but the yellow early Vette I am not familiar with. Do you know who owned and drove the car?-Jim