Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I am trying to hit the like button so many times it looks like I am having a seizure:)

scotty t, Rat Sass and elgringo71 like this.
  2. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

That is a cool looking cheetah they are racing.

jp

69fury likes this.
  3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim. You keep this up and you'll have to write a book on "Corvette Drag Racing History". Great stuff.
    For me,once the tops came off , the chopped the windshields, etc , they lost my interest. For me, it changed the whole personality of the cars. I know it was all done to go faster, but they became totally different animals.
    scan0004-2.jpg

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Great pictures and history to go with it

5. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron I know what you say about the tops. It does make the look for sure. I have always liked old styled coupes and it reminds me of a coupe I guess. I would not drive down my driveway without my top on mine.

As for the drag cars I watched a number run without the tops and they still made my day every time. I would have loved to watch the original Vicious Vette run. One of my favorites was Prontito which I saw run with a top and without. I still have great memories of the car both ways. Cool cars either way, but I still like them better with tops as well.

Now if the truth be told I am not a fan of the wheels on the one you posted but I am sure there are people that like the look.

6. Jim Is that a Cheetah in the far lane? looks like the front axle has been moved forward as well.
    A few months ago I loaded an Original Cheetah body in a truck to head for Arizona. Think it was #5.
    It had flipped at the end of a 1/4 mile because they didn't have the front "bonnet" on and air got under the car at around 140 MPH.
    [​IMG]

Hotdoggin DaddyO and hendelec like this.
  7. noboD

noboD

Isn't he a HAMBer too?

Crazy Grandpa likes this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

Movin On yes that is a Cheetah. I believe it is the Fiberglass Trends car that I believe they match raced in the early funny car class. I am not a Cheetah expert but the front wheels may be forward-kind of looks that way. I believe the picture is from 1966 but not 100% sure.

Doug yes Crazy Grampa is a HAMBer

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  9. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

yep

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree 100% on both counts. With the tops on these cars they very much feel like your driving in a car with a chopped top.

Met him at the Hot Rod Reunion last year in NH, and one of the nicest guys you could meet. The car looks just as good in real life as it does in the pictures. And the car runs in the 9's in the 1/4.
    IMG_8574_zps63096aa1.jpg

11. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

Here's a couple shots of the recently restored "Wife Trouble".

[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Man you guys are killing me I am going home and working on my old Corvette and try to get it out to see the light of day after 29 years

13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Enloe, get after it-you wont regret it.
    NHRA nut thanks for the pic of Wife Trouble. Nice. Looks like they went with the gasser version.

As to the Cheetah, it was late last night and I did not want to go out on a limb and stick my foot in my mouth too deeply. I had thought that this Cheetah was the one ("Instant Motion") that ran a 426 wedge in AM/SP and went back through my stuff and it was the case. Although there is a car that is claiming they "MAY" have the body from Instant Motion They now have their yellow Cheetah in road race trim), it would be nice if one was to find the drag car with a 426 wedge still stuffed in between the tubes. That car had to been a handful for sure with that kind of power to weight (probably right around 2000Lbs)

14. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yes, there is a carb under the injector hat. I think the engine is a 327. It has gear camshaft drive and a magneto. Owned by my friend Eugene Reidy in Lighthouse Point, Florida. Got rained on pretty good last nite at a local cruise-in and had trouble starting it. I followed him home in my '37 to keep traffic back from him (most people don't understand slicks and rain mean you have to go slow). We went down the A-1-A beach road. Fun to watch the reactions from the spring break crowds as we pass by, a couple of geezer hooligans.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
    Rat Sass and loudbang like this.
  15. NHRANUT

NHRANUT
    from Western PA

I don't know if you knew that the restoration of Wife Trouble involved undoing the restoration of it back to the street version. Bill died tragically about 3-4 years ago and the reversal was done by Bob George for Bill's son.

Rat Sass and elgringo71 like this.
  16. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Rat Sass likes this.
  17. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

Enloe, it looks great and appears to be in nice shape overall. That should clean up well.

NHRA nut the car looks great in the gasser version. I had heard it had been returned to stock form and it would have been easiest to run it as it ran in E/SP without using injection and cutting a hood etc, but I liked it best when it ran D/G. Glad to see it back as it should look.

Rat Sass likes this.
  19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just uploaded this to YouTube. Crazy Grampa warming up in the pits.

Rat Sass, enloe, Paul B and 2 others like this.
  20. elgringo71

elgringo71

image.jpg image.jpg Here are two more pictures the first one might be taken at Connecticut and the second one might have already been posted .

Rat Sass and enloe like this.
  21. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

Hi Baron,
    Thanks for posting that video, if I remember it was pretty cold that day. How far did you get on your Vette this winter.
    I'm posting a 2015 Ohio Outlaws AA/GS schedule for anybody that would like to visit us this summer. 2015 race schedule.png

Rat Sass likes this.
  22. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

shinny at nuf.jpg

23. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Grandpa,

Super nice car there, is that EFI injected or mechanical?

jp

24. Crazy Grandpa

Crazy Grandpa
    from Ohio

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Bob. The 57 is coming along. Almost ready to paint the dash and engine compartment. Once I finish that, I'll install the motor and things should move along a bit quicker. Nice to be at the stage where you bolt something on and it's on for good. I'd like to have it at least drivable by mid summer, but if not, it's not the end of the world. Good luck to you this coming season.
    Baron
    JP Here is a close up of Bob's set up for you. Neat and simple.
    050 rs.jpg

26. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Thanks guys, it looks really nice.

jp

27. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Hi guys. Haven't been around in a while although I've kept tabs on the thread. Recently acquired a '57 that appears to have a little history. Don't know much yet except that it appears to have been raced some time ago...still has early Pontiac rear, homemade traction bars, rear outer wheelwells have been opened up a bit, & there are some apparent straight axle brackets still welded to the frame just behind the front tires, although it has the stock front end under it now. Will get some pics up in a day or two. Anybody know where I might get fenderwell headers for a BBC for this car? ;)

28. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Congratulations. Look forward to seeing pics of it. As far as headers go, give these guys a call. I bought headers from them back in 1971 for my first 57 Corvette, and have a new set for my current 57. Good guy to deal with and the headers are made and fit well.
    Tubular Automotive, Rockland Ma. 781-878-9875
    Headers installed 1.JPG Headers installed 3.JPG

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
    Rat Sass likes this.
  29. Rat Sass

Rat Sass

Thanks Baron, I will check them out.

30. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

[​IMG]
    Found this one on another forum