Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I believe he is a member on here

2. elgringo71

elgringo71

Yes that looks like the Yenter Corvette IMAG0030.jpg

hendelec likes this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

man that car is beautiful

4. jimdillon

jimdillon

JP I thought I had a picture of the car but could not find it. While looking for Carol Yenter's car (which I have several pictures somewhere) I came across this picture. This Mr Pickett car had a quite a history which maybe I will try to piece together sometime and post it. With the scoop and the sticker, the rear wheelwells etc and roll bar etc I believe it to be Mr Pickett. Thanks though and if you have any stuff on Yenter's Corvette that is always welcome.

The asking price on the Lil Twister seems to be a bit steep but if he gets it more power to him. Would be quite surprised though.
    [​IMG]

hendelec, Paul B and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  5. The way the listing reads, I get the impression the owner of Lil Twister is hoping the ad leads to more information on the car as opposed to selling it.

6. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I think the ebay ad is more like looking for information on the car and its history rather then selling it, I am sure the owner has been asked multiple times is it for sale, if you want to buy it that what the owner wants for it and if not the owner will keep it.

jp

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

You may be right he has posted that he is looking for info. I had thought the first year for the 350 hp 327 was 1965 and there were a number of competitive BBC BM/SP running at the metro Detroit Michigan tracks (Detroit, Milan and Motor City) in 1966 and 1967 so his competitive window with that combo (if it ran at all) may have been short. Would be great though to find some info on the car. I do not remember the car at Motor City, Milan or Detroit Dragway at the time but there were other tracks I suppose.

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another one of Mr Pickett's Corvette. Corvette drag car.jpg

9. elgringo71

elgringo71

I don't know anything about this one but it is a great shot

-the-legendary-corvette-drag-guys-race-car-03.jpg

hendelec and enloe like this.
  10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Early pic of Reid's Automotive
    Reids Automotive early picture.jpg

elgringo71, hendelec and enloe like this.
  11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another picture of the Hayseed at Sanford
    Hayseed at Sanford.jpg

hendelec and enloe like this.
  12. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I believe it's Dick Moroso's it is definitely Dover Drag strip in NY

Pat

elgringo71 likes this.
  13. jimdillon

jimdillon

Pat is correct that is Dick Moroso's 61

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One more for ya
    Corvette at Sanford.jpg

elgringo71 and enloe like this.
  15. phat rat

phat rat

Yes there were other track of course. Martin U.S. 131 Dragway, Stanton, Onondaga, Gratten. Martin would get a lot of pros there. Arnie the Farmer, Ram Chargers, Maverick, Art Afrons, Mr. Norm etc

16. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Don't forget about Ubly:)

17. wheelguy

wheelguy

NOT sure if this car has been previously posted or not.
    This Corvette was running at Tri-State Drag Strip in Hamilton (Cincinnati), Ohio April ,1964.
    Sorry the picture doesn't show more of the car but this picture was given to me by a gal that took some pictures of my car (56 Chev D Gas> I know, off subject) that day.
    I'm pretty sure the Vette was running some Chrysler/Mopar motor....notice how far back the collectors are under the door....May have run altered class.
    53 Ford  56 Chev  1963 006.JPG

Attached Files:

18. jimdillon

jimdillon

The collector is back aways. Would be great to know what he was running in 1964. It is amazing how many early Vettes ran in a modified setup and then 90% seemed to have disappeared (and more than likely a good number have showed up since as matching number, low mileage, never hit body, never molested etc).

19. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

"Wife Trouble" is getting restored in western PA.

20. jimdillon

jimdillon

I have heard that but should be interesting to see what configuration the owner chooses as he ran with a few different looks and several different classes.

21. jpnewlin

jpnewlin

Great thread. Love em!

22. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

There was a nice 57 Corvette gasser at the Cleveland piston show(silver). Anyone get a photo?

Crazy Grandpa likes this.
  23. R W Ohio

R W Ohio
    from Ohio

10.JPG

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Crazy Grandpa's car is soooooo BADASS!!!!!!!!!!!
    I saw it run in Bowling Green at the Hot Reunion I hope it is there this year:)

25. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Friend of mine just sent this picture if this 62 that was at the Billetproof show in Fl last weekend. 1962 Corvette.jpg

26. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron somewhere I have pictures of that car and really like it. I believe there is a carburetor under the stacks.Not sure but I thought so. Have not seen the car up close but it looks the part for sure. He put a chrome bar in his like I did although his shape of the downtube looks different. Never thought the wife would like the downtube infringing on her space but I moved it as close to the tunnel as I could and mounted it to the x-member of the frame and she doesn't seem to mind it. She likes the leather seats (with foam as opposed to the old spring seats) so much I suppose she gives me a break on the noise and inconveniences etc. I'd give Reidy and Humphreys a space in my barn.

Of course Crazy Grampa is one of the best representing early Corvette drag cars.

27. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Some really nice cars.

jp

28. jimdillon

jimdillon

I said the other day that I would try and upload something on Mr. Pickett. It seems some feel that Corvettes either ran stock or modified sports when in reality they ran in other classes as well including gas. If I was to put a Corvette in the thread on my favorite gassers I would not be surprised if someone reminded me they were modified sports not gas which after 1967 was not true of course. There were at least two Corvettes that broke out of the mold and ran in the early funny car class (prior to the flip top cars of course) and the two of them would be Mr. Pickett and Vicious Vette. Truth be told, when Mr. Pickett changed hands they renamed the car Vicious Vette not to be confused of course with the original Vicious Vette.

To avoid confusion I will start with the original Vicious Vette. Rod & Custom did a piece on the car back in 1967, and noted that Clyde Morgan owned the car (it was a 1958) and that it was a custom show car from back east that he brought to California and sold the car to Charlie Wilson. Charlie was an automotive painter by trade and he repainted the car with a red metalflake paint and they redid the car performance wise and Clyde stayed on as driver. They put a 427 BBC built by Bones Balough with a 671 and a B&M torqueflite 727. The rear end was Olds/Pontiac that was chromed and they also put a chromed straight axle up front. They lightened the car up to 2700 lbs (which is considerable) and if you look they moved the wheelbase up a bit. Like Mazmanian’s red 61 this was a show car and fast drag car.

I have read they ran the car on nitro (although I am not sure how much and when) but in the 67 article they claimed their best was 8.71 at 166.66mph (and claimed it was the World’s Quickest Corvette-although I am not sure how official such titles are). Nevertheless those times and speed are very respectable to say the least. Dale Pulde made a number of passes in the car, when he was still in high school I have read.

In not too many years Clyde would go on to own and drive the EXP Javelin funny (flip top of course) but he retired from racing I believe after running that car a few years. Not sure of whatever happened to the 58 Vette.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Didn't they all break out of the mold:)

30. jimdillon

jimdillon

The Mr. Pickett Corvette started out running in the stock classes at California tracks in 1959. Bob Pickett made “minor” changes to the car at first and when the 327 made its debut in the early 60s he switched to a 327. He joined up with Dick Harriman when they added a blower and ran in AM/SP and they also match raced the car running in what would be the early funny car classes. It was allegedly a handful and did not always run straight. Bob and Dick switched to a 354 Chrysler and once again ran with the early funny cars and I have read they ran with a B&M torqueflite and also ran on nitro. Not sure of the times but probably was no slouch as they match raced if for awhile.

Both Bob and Dick went onto other projects and the car was sold to Larry Martin and had it painted a pearlescent orange and called it Vicious Vette. One of the drivers was Randy Goodwin who has posted his exploits on the car as he was one of the drivers in the 70s

Larry Martin's "Vicious Vette" had an original frame up to the front, but had a chrome dropped tubular front suspension, take-off original fiberglass front end with removable hood, narrowed front grill area with tinted plexiglass where the grill would have been, no bumpers, Oldsmobile rear end with long ladder bars, chrome wheelie bars, a formed aluminum spoiler, parachute molded in to the deck, an aluminum interior, a moon fuel tank in front of the engine and a bolt-in chrome roll bar welded to a cage. When Randy drove it, it had a big block Chevy engine in it with a tunnel ram manifold. It ran low 9's at 145 miles per hour. They raced it at Irwindale and OCIR from 1974 to 1978.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]