Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette Gassers

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bigalturk1, Mar 23, 2011.

1. elgringo71

elgringo71

This scoop also looks like the one that you like. I wonder if your picture was of the Mazmanian car? Bones ( the owner of the J&J car) went on to drive the Mamanian car and also built a blown 327 for it. downloadfile-80.jpeg

hendelec and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  2. Black & white photo in post #872 above is the Mazmanian Vette. I honestly don't know whether the scoop is a Hilborn product or someone else's, but you see them used with Hilborn injectors a lot.

3. jimdillon

jimdillon

In an effort to make this thread somewhat accurate (I hope),I believe Bones drove the 58 but another person owned the car. I had heard some time ago someone else owned the J & J car but read recently that Nick Marshall owned it and Bones drove it and that they pulled the engine from the 58 and put it in Mazmanian's 61. My guess is that they may have swapped the Marshall/Bones hood onto the 61 of Mazmanian when they did the engine swap. If you collect pictures of Mazmanian's 61 he had a couple of different hoods. I am not sure who made this hood blister but it does grow on you in a vintage sort of way. Bowtie is correct that the pic JP posted is Mazmanian's 61

NHRANUT and elgringo71 like this.
  4. In front of the rear wheel well, on the purple '58, it sez, "Owners: Marshall & Balogh." So, it appears that Bones had a piece of it as well as being the driver. I think your guess about swapping the hoods is a pretty good guess, too.

elgringo71 likes this.
  5. elgringo71

elgringo71

Thanks for the clarifications Jim and Bowtie. We still don't know who made the scoops. Could it have been Cal Automotive? I know that they made fiberglass components for Willlys during that time period.

6. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I would like to find one if possible, help cover up my blower.
    jp

7. jimdillon

jimdillon

I spoke to Bones last year at the Meltdown about the car. During the conversation others chimed in and so our discussion went a bit sideways and not 100% sure of the whole story. Will try to ask him again this year if I can. I thought he told me he built and owned the engine, so maybe the partnership with Marshall may have been Marshall's car and Bones' engine. Will try to clarify this July.

elgringo71 likes this.
  8. jimdillon

jimdillon

JP, I agree it would look cool. If I see one I will buy it. Could make one but the mold is a bit of work for just one. Grafting hood scoops on these old Vettes can be problematic as they can crack where they attach if not made right.

9. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Good information as always. Jim go ahead and find that beat up yellow one in the picture.
    Thanks,
    jp

10. Ok, I guess I got a little confused here. If we were talking about the scoop on the injectors, I looked in an old "Hot Rod" magazine for some ads but didn't find anything. However, there was an article on dragsters and in a close up of a blown, injected SBC, it clearly said "Hilborn" on the same type scoop on the injectors. If we're talking about the blister on the hood, I have no idea who made that. More likely than not, it's home made. But, I believe maybe some old ads will show something. Cal Automotive sounds plausible, but I really don't remember any blisters like that in their ads. Anderson Industries, i.e., Ai Fiberglass, began in 1963 and made some Corvette parts among their other race car parts, but I don't remember anything like that blister from them, either. Of course, I really wasn't looking for anything like that back in the day as I ran a stock hood on my '61 and '62s. I'll see Dave Anderson when the winter weather breaks here in the coming weeks, and I'll try to remember to ask him what he recalls.

elgringo71 likes this.
  11. elgringo71

elgringo71

Bowtie, if you have any pictures of your old Corvettes that you think would be a good fit for this thread post them. I know the title of the thread is Corvette Gassers but we know that not many Corvettes ran as gassers, many ran Sports Modified classes too.

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey JP. One thing you have to take in to consideration is it is hard enough to see around the blower on your car as it is ( I know it was on my 62 !! ) and that scoop will take away more of your line of view, especially on the pass side. I'm a little concerned with the scoop I have for my 57,although sitting in the car, I can see over it pretty good.
    Your looks great as is.
    JP \'s cropped.jpg

elgringo71 and enloe like this.
  13. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Baron,

You bring up a good point, i had the car out yesterday and your right i do have to look around it alot and glad i really dont street drive it that much, i do have aflat hood with a hole and thought that blister was pretty cool.

I have started to look for another to build 1956-1962, maybe i can put a hood on that one.

jp

14. vetrod62

vetrod62

Hi JP, If you build another 56/62, you could set back the engine 3" and lower it 3" like my 62. Under the Bug Catcher is an 871 on a 532 BowTie. Jim

[​IMG]

hendelec and enloe like this.
  15. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

WHAT ABOUT A FEW PICS OF THE MOTOR?

16. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Jim,

You are always ahead of the game, how have you been?

jp

17. vetrod62

vetrod62

JP, glad to be back. I have been distracted for some time. But that has passed. Looking forward to some Hot Rod early Corvette fun this year.

Enloe, this for you.

[​IMG]

18. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

I never noticed your reverse mount alternator, it looks real nice.
    jp

19. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is another picture from the same collection. Might be Indy at the Nationals. downloadfile-99.jpeg

20. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is another picture but I have no idea where and when it was taken. It looks like it might be the Wildebeast in the far lane. Hopefully someone can fill in some history on this one. images-5.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  21. jimdillon

jimdillon

I appreciate the way that Jason has tried to keep this thread alive and I am not sure what pics of which Corvettes have been posted and don't want to keep postings the same pics. I also figure some new pics are coming from Facebook which is not something I frequent, although I welcome all appropriate Vette pics. Here is a pic I snagged off of the HAMB I believe that was labeled Big John's car but I am not sure that is correct. Did John have another Corvette prior to the 61 that I am forgetting? It appears to be a 58-60 Vette with an Isky sticker on the side(?) and a three point bar which does not comport with Mazmanian's 61. Also does that look like Nicholson behind the car? He tuned a number of these old Vettes and Wade often did the driving, if that is Nicholson then it may be Wade driving. Anyone have pics of a 58-60 Vette with an Isky sticker (if that is one) in the same location?

[​IMG]

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm looking Jim. Meanwhile I just found this old img140.jpg picture.

hendelec and elgringo71 like this.
  23. elgringo71

elgringo71

The only Corvettes that I have ever heard of Big John Mazmanian owning were the 61 and a 63 split window coupe.

24. noboD

noboD

Elgringo, was this a east or west coast car? I have a fuzzy memory of an orange '53 to '55 at York. It was run by 3 very large black guys maybe from Baltimore. Jim Dillon, another Chip story is how he found the Purple People Eater. He and friend Ken Heckart found and autocrossed it for a few years. One day looking through old racing pictures they recognized the rollbar and did some more research.

25. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I had heard that about Chip Miller and the Purple People eater but was not sure about the details.
    Baron, the Wife Trouble 62 has always been one of my favorites. I have heard it is being restored which would be great to see it out and about. Here is a fuzzy picture but still one of my favorite pics with him pulling the wheels.
    [​IMG]

hendelec and enloe like this.
  26. elgringo71

elgringo71

Apricot Brandy was owned by Jim Elliot from Ohio but it did race some on the East Coast.

27. elgringo71

elgringo71

Here is another Mongoose Corvette 47838561d1415234050-race-car-05.jpg

28. cooljunk

cooljunk

29. jackal396

jackal396
    from oregon

Could this be Carol Yenters corvette? here is a couple more, I think I heard her and her husband ran this car from the Washington or Oregon area, not real sure, here are some more pictures of there car in different stages.

Attached Files: