Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Corvair in front of T bucket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by anteek49, Feb 21, 2014.

1. jamesf

jamesf
    from hammond in

At the NSRA Nationals in Tulsa in 73 Don's car was new. We belonged to the same club and he asked me if I wanted a ride. Hell yes! This was one of the lowest hotrods ever built. You imagine how impossibly low it was unless you actually saw it. Anyway we are cruising down a four lane in Tulsa next to a semi and Don says "Watch this". Next thing I knew we were driving under the semi"s trailer. Don was a hot rod visionary. Forty one years after it's debut everyone that saw that car ,even in print, remember it. He was a truly gifted craftsman.

2. I finally found the picture I was looking for but I don't believe it is the same car.I do believe however that this T was built using Don's car as an inspiration.Not only is the body shaped very similarly but it even has the front of the frame angled in as is on Don's car.
    I have no idea who owns this car but the picture was taken on Woodward Ave right near 11 mile road.Anyone out there know who it is?
    Here it is compared to Don's.

Attached Files:

3. emm66982

emm66982

Did you ever see the car? I want to see it too.

4. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I think the OP was dreaming. Stu

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm sure they are great builds with a lot of work put into them. But the photo of that guy sitting on it, instead of in it, is really goofy looking.

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Same place they get hemmiroids...

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Folks with numbers like this are 'plum full'. And prune full.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's gotta be a HUGE ass.

9. A Boner

A Boner

You mean they were building slick hot rods in the 70's.....not what you would call a copy of a traditional hot rod, but a F'ing engineering masterpiece that you could look at, and later go back and look at some more!

10. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

I know this is a very old thread but I had never come across it before.
    I will say I'm a big Corvair fan but this T is and was truly special. I love the original version of this car. I have Ansen Sprints on my ride. Love the slots.
    The detail of this car is crazy good. The go cart reference is great because that is exactly what this bucket is.
    The 140 motor would make that 1200 lbs car scoot. I will say that cooling on long drive would be an issue without a top shroud and cooling fan. With that said this car is amazing!!
    It got me thinking about a cool build.
    Finally, that 600Hp is ludicrous.
    You can "GO TO PLAID" with 200Hp in a ride like that.

11. goldmountain

goldmountain

Since you are a Corvair guy, how about Norm Grabowski's bike? Later it got a narrowed T bucket sidecar that was cut down in the sides like Kendall's car. Tom McMullen had a Corvair powered trike also. I don't have pictures of the trike anymore. Scan-190220-0001.jpg

12. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

That is very cool. I have never seen that piece of print before. Thanks for sharing.

13. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’m glad you resurrected this thread. I’ve never seen that roadster or the bike, both are amazing. I wonder what inspired Don to use a Corvair engine in a roadster?
    Anyone know where the roadster is now?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I sold/traded the Don Kendall roadster in 1988-89 to a guy in Farmington Hills, Michigan. I have heard a rumor that it's still in Michigan, but don't know for sure.

15. TCATTC

TCATTC

Drugs...
    ...lots and lots of drugs corvairTbucket2.jpg

16. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

17. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

The abpve photo is how the roadster looked when I bought it. Upper left in the photo is the custom trailer with windows on each side. Wire wheels were added, and brass radiator shell along with brass lamps.

18. 61SuperMonza

61SuperMonza

If that masterpiece was created on drugs I guess I need to get some of those drugs. LOL

Stu D Baker likes this.
  19. CAVEMAN_1960

CAVEMAN_1960
    from Michigan

Any leads on the location if still in Michigan I can help. And I thought I had the only Corvair collection in Farmington Hills (resident here in F. Hills since 1984).

61SuperMonza and Stu D Baker like this.