Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Cortopassi & Butler "Glass Slipper"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jalopy Journalist, Feb 4, 2012.

1. wuga

wuga
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just wanted to mention that in 1955-56 we were inspired by the Glass Slipper to build this dragster powered by a 331 hemi. Have seen the Glass Slipper several times at the museum and am always in awe.

wuga

[​IMG]

2. pretty car - sounds like it held allot of records....

3. Mike Gillett

Mike Gillett

Hi Eddy C. .... I loved the Glass Slipper, played many hours in the car with Eddy (The son of Ed C.) ... I can't believe some of the things people have written about the car... EdC pointed out that the car had a fire in Lodi... Ed was not driving the car that day because his wife didn't want him to because it was her birthday or something like that but his brother I think was driving the car. It was not destroyed. Had damage that was repaired but the car sat in the garage in Sacramento on 52nd Ave for years... until about 1975 when Hot Rod Magazine contacted Mr. C. and asked if they could put an engine in it and run it in their Hot Rod Magazine 25th (I don't remember which anniversary edition but I have my well worn copy around the house somewhere) anniversary edition. It is a beautiful car owned by a great family still. (Although it does hang out at the NHRA museum... I can't believe the family would ever consider selling the car. I'm with Eddy on thinking the flat head never ran nitro but the bigger engines with the blower did? Eddy could correct me if I am wrong.

4. Anna Cortopassi

Anna Cortopassi

I am actually Ed Cortopassi's granddaughter, and Ed juniors daughter. I have a few pictures of the car, one after it burnt. If anybody was curious to know, the car will be honored in October at the California Hot Rod Reunion. image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

5. Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

The Mountain Democrat Newspaper in Placerville Ca. just published a story in the Jan 7th 2015 edition titled Life On The Fast Track about the Glass Slipper interviewing Doug Butler who now lives in Pleasant Valley just outside of Placerville Ca. and the life time Achievement Award and Trophy that he just received from The NHRA this past Oct.17th in Bakersfield. An interesting read. Ed Cortopassi died this last August and his son lives in Rocklin Ca.

6. Bill Boyd

Bill Boyd

On the cover and inside the insert publication in the same paper is the actual story and photos the insert publication is called good living in El Dorado County, living life to the fullest after 50, on the cover picture it shows the Glass Slipper with the supercharger on the famous Flathead Ford. I believe if you are interested you can contact the Mountain Democrat and retrieve a copy over the internet. They can be reached at 530-622-1255 or www.mtdemocrat.com !

7. EdC

EdC
    from Wilton, CA

It has been a lot of fun reading all of the comments regarding the Glass Slipper. It was fun to see it featured on ESPN during a race coverage when they were discussing enclosed dragsters. They did give credit to this car as the first enclosed dragster. The car has been in the NHRA museum since its opening in late 1999. I believe Dick Katianagi, sorry if the spelling is wrong, rebuilt the side of the car that burned at Kingdon. I am not aware if nitro was used in the flathead. They did run 181 mph on the salt with the flathead. My dad was disappointed because the salt was wet that year so the tires were slipping. He calculated by tach and gears that the tires were spinning at over 200 mph. There was that much slip. Someone wanted to know what else it had done. It is the first competition car to win the Oakland Roadster show. It was the 3rd car to go over 160 mph.

296ardun likes this.