Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Correctly Proportioned Extended Cab?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gasser 57, Feb 5, 2020.

1. 57 4 3-25.JPG
    Please bear with me on my friend's '57 Chevy.
    Got a repro door, big window rear panel that includes the doorjam. Mounted rear panel on front bed holes in frame. Mounted repro door. Original doors were rotted at front so cut off rear to fill the gap, about 10 1/2". Bolted to new rear door jam and welded door jam from original small window rear panel to front of narrow panel. Of course, the body bottom and roof all got connected through all of this, lots of measure 6 times and cut once. We were pretty lucky and he was on a fixed income so had to be precise. At first we didn't know how we were going to make a front piece for the opera window and he woke up in the middle of the night with the idea to take the front of the window frame from the roached doors and add it in upside down on the back of the new B pillar.
    11-22 blue unmasked right.JPG
    Took us a few months to figure it all out, some of which was me learning my new mig set-up and filling all the burn holes on the sheet metal. An oak bed with walnut rails was also homemade, but is a bit short proportion wise. OH, removing the gas tank from the cab increased the room behind the seats from the 10 1/2" addition to 22". New tank located in the flatbed. Could probably work the same on a Effie.

swade41, tb33anda3rd, hfh and 4 others like this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice job!

3. Here's a well-documented NAPCO extended cab three door from bangshift- I'd love to find a Stageway door to do the same thing OR to make a 3 door '56 Suburban :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

swade41, tb33anda3rd, rod1 and 4 others like this.
  4. Blake 27

Blake 27

5. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I really like the conversions that legacy does with the vintage dodge power wagons, but they are very spendy and start at 100 K, but the quality and workmanship is amazing. Check out their website for a lot more pictures.

LEGACY 4 door power wagon.jpg
    Saw this cool COE 4 door a number of years back at the old hotrodarama in Tacoma, a very nice build.

IMG_2430.JPG IMG_2427.JPG IMG_2429.JPG

R A Wrench, tb33anda3rd and hfh like this.
  6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would have to say that the big problem is that too many guys shorten the box up too short and that throws the proportions off.
    hopefully I'll have this carried off in the next year but doing a print/cut tape chop, stretch and section job using a side shot of Cole Foster's old truck when it was up for sale a few years ago I came up with the basic design for mine. Stretched the same 9-1/4 difference between short bed and long bed frames though the doors to keep the stock short bed with long bed running boards and then chopped and sectioned to boot.
    [​IMG]