Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Correcting camber on mopar double dip axle after ford spindle conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rottenleonard, Dec 30, 2015.

1. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

20151229_135157.jpg 20151229_135150.jpg I have reamed out the kingpin boss on my axle and made some measurement right now I have 5 degrees of posative camber I would like to end up with 1/2-3/4 negative. I have read in other threads where they just took it to their old school alignment shop and had it bent, tried that they said they wouldn't attempt it as thet belive the tube will kink before getting that much movement. Thinking about attempting it myself but thought I would come here first to see what experience the HAMB may offer.

2. I'd check with Okie Joe or Sid in Oklahoma or Greg Haynes,California.

Hnstray likes this.
  3. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You want 0° to 1° positive..No?

4. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Well...my personal thought is that the tire is almost completely outside of the scrub radius. Going to the negative side on camber should move the effective tire patch inward some to help with the scrub radius issue. I know that the norm is a positive camber spec but I'm not entirely sure the reasoning behind it.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Negative.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Positive is top of tire out..Going negative would move bottom of tire farther away from the center line of scrub, OP said he wants to get closer by moving bottom of tire in..Ford Camber is 0° to 1° positive..

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you want 1920's handling....

8. Bending the axle is what is needed to correct the camber, but that will do nothing for the scrub radius. Without modifying the spindle, scrub radius will not change with the camber. That is built into the spindle and wheel offset, not the axle.

9. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

what happens if you flip them up the other way? too much negative?

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way too much.

11. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

time to bend then ....

12. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You are 100% correct..

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Let's see if I understand... you went to all the trouble of putting Ford spindles on a Chrysler axle THEN began thinking about how to correct the camber???

May I suggest you put the original spindles back on?

14. Were you able to correct your camber ?
    and if so , how did you do it ?
    I'm about to attempt this swap .
    Thanks

15. Turn the spindle over. That should put you close then heat and bend the axle to suit you.
    The reason the old school alignment shop wouldn't attempt it is because the bend the axles cold, you don't bend a tube axle cold, unless you got a tubing bender.