Register now to get rid of these ads!

Correct way to measure Toe-In

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NasT, Dec 5, 2012.

1. NasT

NasT
    from MD

Is the the correct way? From Pete and Jakes? 1/8" from center of tire to face? Which equals 1/4" total from rear of tire to front of tire?

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Measure centre to centre of the tires at the front.
    Measure centre to centre of the tires at the rear. (still the front tires)
    It should be 1/8" less at the front for belted tires, 1/16" for bias.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are about as many ways to do it as there are guys doing it.

A very simple and quite accurate way to do it is the following.

Jack each wheel a few inches off the ground and then scribe a line around the center of the tread with a pencil by holding your hand steady and holding the tip of the pencil against the center of the tread while you or a helper turns the tire. The line should go around the whole circumference of the tire and meet it's self when it comes around again. Do this on both tires. I usually use a block of wood, jack stand or some other solid thing to steady my hand when making the line on the tire.

With the wheels pointed straight ahead let the car down and then bounce it a couple of times with your hand to settle the suspenson.

Take a tape measure and on the back side of the tires a few inches off the shop floor measure from the line you drew on one tire to the line on the other tire.

Move to the front side and at the same height measure from the line on one tire to the other. Subtract the front measurement from the back measurement. That will be your toe in. if the front measures more than the back it is toed out.

I know the usual guys will come along with their 2x4's beside the tire tricks and what not but I did front end for a living for a number of years and even though I had to grab a helper to measure the toe in on cars when I got to that point using the tape measure and scribed lines is quite accurate and very simple and quick. You don't need to build some contraption to do it you just need a tape measure and a pencil.

The main reason to do it this way unless you have an actual front end machine is that a wheel and or tire can have enough runout that if you measure off the sides of the tire you don't get an accurate measurement. Scribing the line on the tire tread gives you and accurate spot to measure.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012