Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical correct gasket material for direct contact with ETOH enriched gas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wearymicrobe, Jun 28, 2016.

1. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Anybody have a supplier, part number or material for sheet gasket that works with ETOH gas up to 15-20%. Everything that I have tried locally has melted with engine heat, or turned back to putty after setting up. Needs to hold up to about 150f in temp and 15-20% ETOH in the gas. I have plenty of clearance up so can be as thick as 1/4th inch if it has to be.

Figure I am just getting crappy gasket material from oversea's supplied locally but not quite sure right now.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

What are you trying to seal up?

Neoprene, Viton, and natural cork are ethanol and fuel resistant, but the cork can absorb water and swell, and the rubberized cork that is commonly available is not resistant.

Remember, Ethanol is a mild solvent that will break down many organic compounds that are non-soluble in water. Gasoline is an even more powerful solvent that will break down most waxes, oils, greases and tars. Combined together, they will clean damn near any metallic surface. Once cleaned, the water and oxygen held in suspension by the ethanol with cause most metals to start corroding.

wearymicrobe likes this.
  3. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Holding tank that we put under a little pressure to get the fuel out. I have been using rubbered/cork mostly as it was listed as safe on its spec sheet. I will order up some neoprene sheets and do it that way later this week. Thanks.

4. I use gasket material for the commercial HVAC around here. it is the same stuff that you use in boiler flanges. You don't have to have any kind of a license to get it and it comes in thicknesses from about 1/32 to about 1/4. I have even used it for header gaskets, it is heat and chemical resistant. Some of the chemicals that get used in a boiler is pretty caustic.

Google commercial HVAC supply or boiler supplies. There will be a supplier in your area because there are high rises in your area.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

If you go to the McMaster-Carr website, enter "rubber gasket material", click on "about rubber " and it gives an explanation and what should be used for what.

6. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Amazon had it overnight so it will be here tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.