Register now to get rid of these ads!

cordless batteries

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hoarder1212, Oct 3, 2008.

1. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

My craftsman cordless drill is like my right arm out in the shop.Today my last battery died and I went to sears to look for a new battery. The bastards wanted 69.00 and change! A whole new drill with charger and 2 new batts is 89.00. I went to fleabay and looked there and found several used ones and several adds for a book that shows you how to fix them.Has anyone on here ever successfully fixed one? If so how is it done? I really don't want to buy used ones and if I am going to spend the cash for a new one I might as well spend another twenty and get a whole new drill!

2. Interstate battery stores charge 40-50 bucks to rebuild em.

3. Mopar34

Mopar34

Depending upon the age of your drill, and the cost of replacement batteries, purchasing a new one will probably be your best bet. Although a little more expensive, check out the ones using lithium-ion batteries.

4. Johnny-B-Bad

Johnny-B-Bad

Go to a hobby shop and rebuild them yourself. They sell the 1.2V cells and the tiebars you need to link all the cells together.

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you have the right stuff, you can usually fix them yourself. What happens is that the NiCad batteries form "spikes" of cadmium through the separators between the insulators in the cells. I had heard a couple of times that you can "zap" the batteries with about twice the DC voltage if you have a power a proper power source. I found this website www.nicadbatteryfix.com, and got his booklet. I was lucky and had a friend with a variable A/C power supply that he let me have. I then went to Radio Shack and bought (I think) a 25 amp 50 volt rectifier for about $3.00. I put the whole thing together and tried it out, increasing the times each time. At about 5 seconds per "zap", I think I got it right. In the end, I had 3 19.2 Craftsmen batteries that wouldn't take a charge at all. I zapped all three of them. On one, it didn't work at all. On the second, it will run about 5 minutes, and then need to be recharged. On the third one it came all the way back; it's just like a new battery. I can leave it in the drill and it won't loose it's charge, and last's as long as I ever needed it.:) I did two batteries for the guy accross the street, a 12 volt and a 14.4 volt and they came all the way back. He says they're still just fine. I did three more for a friend of mine. Two of them came back to be usable, and one came back all he way. That's a total of 8 batteries with 3 coming all the way back, 4 coming back to be just usable, and one dud. When I started, none of these 8 batteries would take a charge.They were so low that my quality Voltmeter would not even tell me which pole was positive, even after an hour on the charger. (I had to use the voltmeter on the charger to find out which pole was positive and which was negative.)

This is another one that seems too good to be true, but it worked for me. It doesn't work all the time, but it was really worth my while. The real problem is getting a DC power source with the correct voltage. I was lucky my buddy saved a quality variable voltage power supply from the forties he got from his dad.

It worked for me.

By the way, beware of buying used NiCad batteries on e-Pay. Most of them were dead and brought back to life by this method. There is even a site on the web telling you how to start a business doing this.:rolleyes:

6. barney rubble

barney rubble

7. zzford

zzford

Google in a search for tool batteries. There are a number of outfits that sell after market batteries fairly reasonable. I've bought several and have had good service from them.

8. bct

bct

nice work tubman ....good info

9. hoof

hoof

My brother said that he got an article somewhere saying you could "spike" them with a welder and bring them back?
    CHAZ

10. reversehalo

reversehalo
    from Waxhaw, NC

Every battery I've ever gotten off ebay was crap. You'd think I'd have learned, but no. I've bought many for digital cameras, camcorders, cordless phones, etc. All crap. Spend the money for an original, brand name replacement.

11. thanks for bringin this up Ive got a set of bosch drill,sander,lite,saw all use the same battery and now bosch says ....sorry its discontuined,ya gotta buy all new gear-bullshit..so this is a great help

12. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess if you had a DC welder that you could determine the output voltage, it would have plenty of power to be used as a power source. I think you'd have to keep adjusting the amperage (which should also change the output voltage) and check it with a voltmeter until it was just right. I don't think I'd try it with an AC welder though.

13. Craftsman drills suck. Just buy a Dewalt or a Makita and be done with it.

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Boy, ain't that the truth. They used to have good stuff but no more. The first one I bought from them was a 9.6 volt with one battery, and it lasted about 15 years before it finally died. I had the same experience as one of the earlier posters. I too it back to Sears (who used to have a lifetime warranty on tools), and found the replacement battery was almost as much as a new 14.4 volt unit with two batteries (think they knew something by then?) Anyway after both batteries on that one died within a couple of years, I took it back to Sears. After a heated discussion with the guy at the cash register, I left the drill, both batteries, and my Sears card (torn in two) on the counter and stomped out. Then my GF's daughters bought me the 19.2 set for the next Christmas. The two batteries that came with it lasted less than two years. I bought another used one off of e-Pay (which is how I found out about the used battery scam). That one lasted about 6 months. I've had real problems with Sears for the last few years (they sell their tools at K-Mart, for christ's sake), so I don't go there any more. Also, did you ever notice that they have DeWalt, Makita, etc. for sale there now? Hmmmmm.

My family was always a Sears family ever since I can remember (from the forties), but no more. Had to explicitly tell the kids no Sears tools or gift cards for Christmas and birthdays. Too bad.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  15. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

That's not a bad price..

The last Milwaukee 28V L-Ion battery I priced for a customer was in the $250.00 range!!

Most of the time buying a new combo kit is cheaper than buying two batteries.

Shawn

16. I used to be a Makita man when I was in the trades (glazer, commercial glass installer). I watched the journeyman that taught me burn up multiple dewalts. I like the balance of the 14.4V makita drills, but after blowing the clutch out of 3, with no warranty, I started to use a Ryobi 18V kit. You can buy the 5 piece for under $200, and they have a no-question 2 year warranty.

Say what you want, but I can buy a lot of parts for the cost differential between a $200 Ryobi multi-pack and a $600 DeWalt or Makita.

Just my 2 "sense"...pun intended.

17. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

Do yourself a favor and DO NOT buy Dewalt cordless tools particularly the 18 volt ones. Their batteries are the worst to ever to be sold to the public. Qouted by a DeWalt rep. After buying 4 new 18 volt batteries in a matter of 2 months their was a very lucky plumber on the job site who took new ownership to all that yellow crap, tols and batteries. Panasonic is the best but $$$ if you use them everyday to make your living....

18. Lotek_Racing

Lotek_Racing

My shop is an authorized warranty and service depot for most brands of power tools.

When you buy, check the warranty period.

DeWalt = 1'st year free service no matter if it's manufacturers defect or you break it, 2nd and 3rd year are mfg defect only.

Makita Ni-cad = 1 year, L-ion = 3 years

Milwaukee = 5 years

Hitachi = 5 years

Bosch = 1 year, some tools are 3 years

Panasonic is 2 year but I could be mistaken.

Most batteries only carry a 1 year warranty even if the tool is 5 years or so.

Ryobi and Rigid power tools are names owned by Home Depot. They used to be made by Emerson but are now part of the TTI group. TTI also owns Milwaukee.

RIDGID plumbing tools are still made by The Ridge Tool Company.

Roto-Zip, Skil and Bosch are owned by the same people.

DeWalt, Black & Decker, Porter Cable and Delta are owned by the same people.

I like Makita best but DeWalt, Milwaukee and Hitachi have the best warranty policies.

Shawn

19. i watched a guy take apart one from harbor freight and change it over to fit his dewalt cordless,about $40 cheaper and seemed to work fine.

20. I went through the same thing w/Hitachi that was a little over a year old. Lowe's had replacement batteries for $69.00. A new drill and two batteries and charger and flashlight was $89.00. The batteries are interchangeable w/what I had. So, after looking on epay at the 'rebuilding' thing I decided to cut my losses and went to Lowe's. If this one doesn't last any longer, it's no more Hitachi for me.
    It's funny (or not) though. I got an old Milwaukee at a yard sale ($50.00) w/2 batteries and the damned thing lasted 8 years.

21. hoarder1212

hoarder1212

I guess I cant complain too much.I bought this drill around 9/11/01. And I have put a lot of hours on it,I like it though and I hate to junk it just because it needs a battery.So I was looking for an inexpensive alternative to that.I have heard from others that the new batteries aren't as good as the originals that I have,that is why I wanted to fix them.

22. kustombypook

kustombypook

I have a 18v Rigid. It's a little heavier than most drill, but well worth it. I have had it almost 3 years now and use it for work, and have never had a problem with it, yet.

23. Moonglow2

Moonglow2

Yeah I went through this drill (pardon the pun) a few years ago when I figured out that the profit in cordless tools was in the battery refills at exhorbitant prices. (Assuming they were not obsoleted.)

I decided to buy old technology for $40 and put up with the hassle of a cord. I haven't regretted it since.

24. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I was into RC electrics for a while, and have a really nice digital peak-and-hold charger that I use. I buy my packs at the hobby shop and get much better performance than anything stock. And only Panasonics.
    Keep an eye on your Mha - milli amp hour ratings. Higher, the better.

25. I bought my Makita 14.4 in the summer of 01, used it HARD on commercial jobs, building my own house and overall daily use since then. The flashlight even got Shoe back to the hotel on his Triumph at the HAMB drags one year! I consider 7 years of battery life pretty darn good. I found a set of new batteries in town on sale. Ended up around 60 cks each but good for another 7 years.

26. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Want a million dollars? Sell power cords that costs $20 and snaps into the place of a cordless drill battery.

Honestly any cordless tool is a consumable, not a durable. If you get one that lasts 15 years you've beat the odds by 5X.

A lot of people that get poor battery life don't follow the ground rules about batteries. Storing them on the charger & recharging before they're dead seem the biggest mistakes.

I know of a contractor that is deliberately careless with hauling his mega-expensive cordless kit in the uncovered pickup box......once the dozen batteries get a few years old and start to taper off, it's a better deal if the insurance company replaces em. (dishonest and lame IMO)

27. This would be a great Tech Week subject, including lots of photos and part numbers for those of us who are not "sparkies". I have a half dozen "dead" Ryobi batteries; luckily new ones are are two for $39.99. I am really happy with the Ryobi for home use, may not hold up on a construction site. Fuck overpriced Dewalt.

28. I just downloaded this, you only need a digital voltmeter and some good batteries twice the voltage of the bad battery. If you are fixing an 18v battery, you will need two good 18v batteries, or one 36v. It also show how to take one apart and fix it. I will try it tonight, and do a Tech Post if it works.

29. greasel

greasel
    from Fresno, CA

very very true!! I can't stress those two things enough, we've put a whole lot of hours/years on our cordless tools and hardly ever have a bad battery. I'm an on-site/mobile aircraft tech, we do A LOT of fabricating out in the field or a remote strip where pulling a cord out isn't an option and starting up the gen/compressor is irritating.

we've used makita cordless drills for YEARS, we have batteries that are 5 years old and still going. last several years we've started using the craftsman drills and 1/4" impacts, with the 19.2V, most of our batteries are 2-3 years old without a single problem. I like the makita drills because they're the most compact and have a lot of power for how small they are, great for tight spaces (inside a wing/fuselage or whatever).

the craftsman 19.2v drills have a TON of power but they're pretty big, so they're limited to easy access/benchtop work.

and the crappy makita flashlight wouldn't hold up when I let the car down on it, there was no sticker warning me not to use it as a jackstand. :D seriously though, I got a new lens, taped it up and it worked fine until it was dropped into a container of lacquer thinner, it hasn't been the same since.

30. 61bone

61bone

I keep several cordless tool in the shop, mostly Dewalt and have had excellent batt and tool life. I use a old 14.4 to run the batts completly down before recharging. Zip tied the trigger back and when a batt is low , stick it in and leave it for a couple hours before recharging. I get "bad" batts from other people. Going thru several charge-total discharge cycles with the drill usually bring them back. The batt saver chargers that have the discharge cycle in them don't totally discharge and wont do the trick.