Register now to get rid of these ads!

Copying upholstery patterns

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59Apachegail, Sep 14, 2015.

1. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Most have probably seen those machines at the mall that take a picture and "print" the picture with a needle and thread. Has anyone used the same concept to copy old upholstery designs from old tattered seats? Seems like it would be an easy way to get original replacement material where reproductions don't exist.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

2. aaggie

aaggie

It would be really expensive to embroidery enough material to upholster a car. Maybe Jay Leno could afford it but not me. I have seen shops with the embroidery machines that do a custom Logo on the head rest covers or top of the seats.

3. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks aaggie,

I just need four inserts about 24x24. Guess I got to just keep on hunting!

4. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I haven't checked them out lately, and they are a little pricey, but SMS auto fabrics used to have one of the best selections around. They had all the fabric types I needed for my 59 ford fairlane......besides just selling me the covers. So I would be able to make stock looking custom seats....

5. SMS has a reputation of having horrible customer service. Original Auto Interiors http://originalauto.com/ has a huge selection of original materials as well and I have heard way better things about how they conduct their business.

beachbum jim likes this.
  6. I have a man here in my town that does custom enbriordering..He has many books of patterns for your selection.The machine must use a photo from one of those book,not just any photo..I have had him do several jobs for me to use in recovering a customers seats...after selecting a pattern,you have the choice of thread colors to your liking..
    Had him embroider a "rose" in three colors to use on making a headrest.

7. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks for the leads guys! I sent off some requests hopefully I get good news back.

We have a local guy who has a stitching machine I might go to him if nothing else pans out. If it is too expensive I'll just look into a modern vinyl replacement.

Thanks again!