Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Copper head gasket question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pete, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Pete

Pete

I'm getting ready to install the heads and gaskets on the flathead Cadillac.
    I have the cyclone heads, new flange bolts and gaskets. My question... Should I dress the copper head gaskets with some type of sealer and should I be using washers under the flange bolts...?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Yes and Yes. I like to use Copper Coat gasket sealer, it's actually a brand name sealer. Some guys use aluminum spray paint on the gasket. Also thick hardened flat washers should be used to stop from crushing the hole and grabbing the stud causing Head removal to be a real Bitch.
    The Wizzard

3. Flathead Coupe

Flathead Coupe

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Also, I have found that hardware hardened washers do not work very well. They are usually case hardened. You should get ARP tool steel washers that are hardened clear through. They don't "cup" and mash down the aluminum around the head bolt.

5. Pete

Pete

I'm using case hardened flange bolts. Ill grab some washers and copper sealer. I'm not a fan of studs...

6. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Pete,

Rich Fox gave good advice about the ARP tool steel washers.

We use Hylomar spay on sealer for our gaskets, and I truly think it's the best stuff out there.

Be careful with your bolt lengths- it's possible to use too long of one in the top 3 center bolt locations, and crack an exhaust port.

We also use Teflon sealer on the bolts, as it's a wet deck, and you need to seal the bolts.

Post some pics, huh???:D

7. Pete

Pete

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398291379.363597.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398291402.979515.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1398291424.074281.jpg

Back together! Haven't had her on the road yet but it certainly sounds different!!

8. Pete

Pete

Which spark plugs should I run with the cyclone heads???

9. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Pete, NGK-5238, or R5671A-9 would be good plugs to start with, I think. I'm not positive about the reach the Cyclone heads take, but If I remember correctly, it's .750

I hope this helps! The engine and car looks great!

10. afaulk

afaulk

Wowsa, it looks good!

11. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

back when we ran a blower and used copper head gaskets we always used KW Kopper coat. Available at any NAPA and i still do when we pick up compression by using thin copper head gaskets on SBC or SBF motors keeps them from seeping water. WORKS PERFECT!:D

12. Could be over stating the obvious but be sure to use distilled water, not tap water in the cooling system. Way cool motor!

13. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Um. NO! Pete, do not use distilled water-water likes to be in a balanced state, and will try and leach the minerals from the block if you use it. Save yourself some headaches, and google it.

WillyKJr likes this.