Register now to get rid of these ads!

Copper gas line?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cerberus, Aug 20, 2011.

1. bgaro

bgaro

not legal in new hampshire either.

2. Hey Morrisman....I served at Clark Air Base from 88 to 90.

what a cool place it was

3. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

Properly mounted copper brake line/pipe/tube will not break/crack/fail.

Any better?

It is basically all still there, lots more buildings, but the basic base perimeter, roads, old military accommodation and such are still much the same. It is now called something like Clark Economic free zone, or some such name, a massive duty free area for business and stuff.

4. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

All metals will work-harden. That's what happens when you take a steel paper-clip and bend it back & forth until it breaks, or you have that last piece of sheet-metal that you thought you completely cut, but still hanging on by a thin piece and you bend it back and forth to break it off.

Copper, properly supported, is just as good as anything else. HVAC units, heavy-equipment air brakes, aircraft, and other high-vibration environments bear this out. Aluminum is nearly as soft as copper, yet folks haven't been propagandized as to its terrible tendency to corrode and be problematic...

I do prefer cupro-nickel/kunifer for no other reason than I can get away with less support...

This is topic is like religion and politics...or worse, discussing which oil to use because all the zddp is gone!

5. yep, what he said!

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm not too sure that there would be a significant reduction of the propensity for vapor lock by using steel line vs copper. Sure, the thermal conductivity rating of copper is higher, but when either type of line is run through a hot underhood environment, the amount of heat soaking through the line to the fuel is not going to be appreciably less in the steel line.

7. Bar Ditch

Bar Ditch
    from Tacoma

Correct!

8. funk 49

funk 49

Many of the oil and fuel lines are copper,and I have had no problem. On my Stude I found about 1/2 the lines were copper and felt the need to replace those. For whats it worth.

9. funk 49

funk 49

On my Stude I was refering to brake lines, sorry.

10. slinginrods

slinginrods
    from florida

been there done it .just stating from a real world perspective .i offer no scientific claim to my statement like so many other rocket scientists on this board.copper line WILL BOIL GAS FASTER THAN STEEL .try some under the hood of your 40 ford with a healthy small block chevy,in 90 + degree heat.ill bring the aluminum line to get you home.

11. mwhistle

mwhistle
    from sacramento

What is arc tubing? Is it a copper tubing replacement? One of our Alliance Venders suggested using it?

12. Stick with steel.