Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling System Stop Leak - Anyone Use it? Does it work?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FrameDragger, May 9, 2004.

1. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Lit the Caddy Motor for the first time yesterday (Briefly, as I immediatly identified some leaks). Today I noticed some weeping from the soft plugs. They are in a difficult location to get to... I was wondering, has anyone used "Radiator Stop Leak" before? I have seen it in the stores, but have never heard any reviews of it...

Good? Bad? Anybody have any secondary Problems caused by it?

Thanks.

Mike

2. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

You put that shit in a Caddy engine and I'll personally come down to Lone Bitch and kick your ass for being stupid!
    Fix the freeze plugs ya lazy bastage. It's less hassle in the long run! I've still got my mother's Caddy engine in the shed thanks to my dumb assed little brothers. Friggin engine is full of that shit. And we STILL had to replace the freeze plugs.

Scrap the dummies Clyde! [​IMG]

3. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Post deleted by FrameDragger

4. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

I see... I guess I have to pull the bastard back out again...

5. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Sorry to be so pissy. You hit a sore point. My little brothers kept borrowing my mother's car. It was leaking thru 2 soft plugs. Rather than fix it or tell me or her about it, they just put stop leak in it. The stuff works by forming fibers when it meets air, thus plugging the hole. But if the plug's weakening, the hole gradually gets bigger. No problem they think, we'll just add more stop leak. Hell, it worked for a while. Eventually the car kept overheating because the stopleak also plugged small passages and the radiator. Then when it was overheating too bad to drive and STILL leaking, Mom finally brought it to me to fix and I found what they'd done.

6. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

They are new... I installed them just like every other flat-disk type plug, and they all leak... any trick to getting them to seal on a 331 / 365?

7. I always use a dollop of non-hardening permatex around the edges of the plug. You DID wallop the center of the plug after popping it in the hole, right? I know you did.

8. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Rocky... Oh Yeah... The problem is, there is not enough throw space to wallop new ones in now that the engine is in the car...

9. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

Do it MacGyver -style and crack an egg into the radiator!

Hey, its like, all natural! [​IMG]

Wanna buy another Cadillac? Cheap! [​IMG]

10. FrameDragger

FrameDragger

Naw dude, I already had one of those once [​IMG]