Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stinkity stoink, Jul 9, 2008.

1. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

I know this is not a very hamb type car, but I have owned it for a long time. It's a 64 chevelle that I recently put a serpentine belt system on. The water pump now goes in reverse. I was going to update to an electric fan. I had a crap fan on before with no shroud and never had a cooling issue. I only have 2 1/4" from the pump to the radiator now. I was looking at spal fans . They make one's that will fit. The 14" fan pulls 960cfm . Is that enough to cool a stock small block. I can put 2 10" fans on that pull 650 cfm each. I am sure that would be better. I just want to make sure I have enough . Thanks all

2. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

3. toddc

toddc

I used to have a single 16 inch Davies Craig fan on my O/T Jag with a 5 litre in it. There was no way it would keep it cool. Drew HEAPS of current though. I replaced it with 2 fully shrouded fans from a Mitsubishi :)o) and have had no trouble since.

4. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

Thanks. I was thinking I might have to go with the duals. I am just not sure of the cfm I need . I am sure some one on here will know.

5. The old water pump runs backwards?

Or you have a newer pump that runs in the proper direction for the new serpentine setup?

Electric fans are a step backwards imo, but necessary in some cars with limited space.

Get yourself a fat blade mechanical fan.

GM makes an excellent one.

Do a search on overheating, several articles in the last 1-2 months here on the HAMB and look for the photos Deuce posted of his 32 roadster or coupe.

One of those should do the job and if not a 6-blade Derale or Hayden would work.
    Although with 2 1/4" clearance between pump nose and radiator the Derale would probably be the better choice.

Derale centers the blades on the hub and Haydens are set back.

6. I'm running one 11" spal fan on The Pusher now. It runs 180-195 on a hot day. I had two one for backup but the backup fan got toasted last fall.

So you put a lat model pump on? It won't move water if its spinning backwards, you need a reverse pump.

7. stinkity stoink

stinkity stoink
    from new jersey

I put the late model pump on it. So the pump is moving water. I just can't use the old fan because it is directional.
    Thanks pork I will probably go with the dual 12" spals. That should definitely keep me covered.
    C9 I know the mechanical will work ,but I didn't do that much investigating on it. I am not sure how many choices there are for the mechanicals that will work with that water pump

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

With the electric fans swept area as well as CFM is what counts. The two smaller ones will work better only if they combined cover a greater surface area. Shrouding ANY fan is a must!
    Though if the stock water pump is running in reverse I don't think air volume through the radiator is the problem. The pumps are made to only run in one direction. Running it back wards you will not be getting adequate water flow through the system. Even with an electric pump if the old mechanical one is there you wont get the required flow. Either get a water pump that turns the right way or gut the impeller from the one you are running and go with the electric pump.
    The first option is without doubt the best one.
    Doc.