Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling my y block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greendream, Jul 21, 2010.

1. greendream

greendream

So I've been having overheating issues with my 292 y block for about a year now. I've replaced the thermostat multiple times, fixed the radiator a few times. I've decided that it was time to replace the radiator since it's over 50 years old. I just purchased one from Cool Craft that is an OE style. I got the high efficiency radiator which is supposed to cool 15% more. My question is this... What thermostat should I use. 195, 180 (OE), or 160 degree? What lb. radiator cap should I use? Cool Craft told me between 13-16 is fine. I had 13lb on my original radiator. And also, what would be the best method to flush my entire cooling system to make sure I don't have a bunch of crap built up?

2. Years ago I had an overheating problem with the 312 Y block in my '57 TBird. I tried everything twice to fix it. Finally one day when I was driving down a straight flat street I felt a "pulsing" in the power. It turned out to be a ruptured diaphram in the vacuum advance unit. That solved the problem.

Charlie Stephens

3. greendream

greendream

Thanks for the info. If I'm still having problems after installing the new radiator, I'll check the vacuum advance. I'm also going to check the waterpump, although I'm pretty sure it's still good.

4. Ole don

Ole don

If the new radiator is not hooked up yet, try this. Fill the engine with pure white vinigar, let it sit overnight. Drain and flush. Use a 160 thermostat, a new radiator cap made for a closed recovery system, then put on a recovery tank. Do you have a shroud? A six or seven blade fan from a six cylinder Granada or Maverick will bolt on. Adjust the rockers to .018 or .019.