Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling: Louvers or Scoop for my 55.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by johnybsic, Jun 25, 2013.

1. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hey guys.
    It's been a while scince i've posted, and have something on my mind.
    I have been driving my 55 chevy here in Las Vegas,Nv.

The car has a 70' 454, iron oval port heads. 11.25:1 compression, comp xs282s cam, torker intake, holley 750dp, 3.73 gears, th400 trans, fenderwell headers, aluminum 3 core radiator, electric fan. blah blah blah
    It runs on 91 pump gas, but i cut/ fill the tank with 100 if im gonna really run it.
    Like i've said, its never boiled over or ran "HOT" stabilizes about 190/200.

I absolutely LOVE the big block under the hood, the power is addicting.
    BUT as you might have guessed it can get pretty warm around these parts this time of year. It really only comes out at night or the morning, It doesnt overheat... but no A/C, residual heat etc, you know...Las Vegas :rolleyes:

I've encountered some fuel boil issues when running low speed around town at first i though it was simply loading-up. But on shutdown i can hear perculating in the carb, and its a bit tough to start after running into a store etc.
    I'm gonna try a phelonic or wood spacer under the carb, see if it helps.

I've also noticed the car runs alittle warmer on the freeway (not much maybe 10-15* warmer at the most)

Basicly I've noticed it get pretty F'in hot under hood, Especially with the headers.

I'm looking for ways to get some heat out of the engine compartment.
    I really love the look of the cast aluminum hood scoop on these, but i dig Louvers too. I could go either way.
    I'm guessing that hood louvers probally work pretty well at cooling things down, But have no experiance with these nor do I with a bolt on hood scoop.
    You guys with either one, Chime off with how they helped you and if you have any gripes lemme know too.
    at $3 a pop louvers can get pricey, But its all in the name of performance. How many would you recomend?

I'll be putting the car in primer this fall, so i wanna get any sheet metal stuff done soon.
    It's a long post I know :eek:
    Heres a few pics to show the flavor or my ride. Im planning on Grey epoxy primer by the way.

Thanks!- one HOT ride in vegas.;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2013
  2. I love louvers but with the style of your 55 I would go with a scoop,,HRP

3. chevy57dude

chevy57dude

Another vote for the scoop, and heat mat on the firewall.
    Your wheelwells are effin' cool.

4. Butch M

Butch M

Louvers or scoop would look cool and them wheelwells are the chit look'n good haven't seen it in a while

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Are the wheelwells still under the hood? There's a local guy with a '47 Chevy running a blown sbc. He had the hood open and I noticed he placed electric fan in the wheelwells to expell excessive under hood heat.

With the look of your car, definitely go with a hood scoop. However, forcing air in, it would probably help to remove the wheelwells or at the louver them to allow the trapped air to escape.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride - for looks the scoop would be best. one that you can put a cover over during the high winds & rain there. for cooling the louvers would be best. negative is no way to stop dirt and water from going onto engine, etc. post a pic of engine and details about radiator, fan, etc. possibly put large louvers in front inner fenderwells.

7. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I do like to the scoops. I've actually been coveting one made by a guy here on the HAMB "Richie" i think. But Cot-daymn moneys been tight scence i started school.
    Looking at this one. I think it would be bitchin

This may sound silly, but has anyone ever seen a combo of both? I'm thinking it would be cool for just like a smaller strip of louvers on each side up toward the cowl/ outter hood corner then maybe run 2-2-2-2 across the back???. Maybe that would help "depressureize" or breath the high point of the hood? It would be hard not to get it to "busy" looking though.

Then i could have a scoop like the cool guys :D

Attached Files:

8. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

A huge differance in temp when I would run louvered hood sides on my 35 ( not a tri 5, I know } or leave the sides off. Yank off the hood top, it was like AC. Trick out the motor and run hoodless! Rock that beast!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, I have louvered hoods for guys that had a scoop too. It's not the best of looks in my opinion, but some guys dig it. If you decide to go with louvers I can save you the gas to get down here or even ship your hood by GreyHound, as I am at only 2.00 per hole. I honestly think Iammarvin hit the nail on the head with leaving the hood off the car.

Even though I punch louvers and am in somewhat your immediate area, I gotta say if me feet were held to the fire I would say go scoop...

11. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

12. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

Hmm, thats not a bad deal there ineedlouvers. if i go that way i may request your services.
    I'd roll hoodless but im not quite sure of legality here in NV, i suppose theres one way to find out Heeh.
    So i take it that louvers are gonna be better at removing heat? kinda like a scavaging effect. what about running scoops at speed, or on the freeway? will it create a positive pressure in the engine bay, and mess with the airflow through the radiator?

13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

In addition to louvers and/or a scoop, wrap the fuel line and use a phentic(sp?) spacer under the carb. This cured a similar problem I had with my El Camino.

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Yes, the louvers will be more efficient at removing heat. That's the whole idea behind them. A scoop is used most frequently to bring cool air into the intake tract on a car. Matter of fact, by the mid seventies most of the drag guys had figured out to seal the carb to the hood scoop. Also yes on an open scoop creating a change in the engine compartment's pressures and flows, with one caveat - it's going to want to push air flow down ward fairly heavily and could help the air coming through the radiator move through and out the bottom just by being a more concentrated force... Could help. If I was running a scoop though on a street car, I would make sure it had no inner fender panels just help evacuate all of the pressure builds at work from two different sources.

Back to louvering, I have a pattern for tri five Chevys that looks great and works even better. If you decide to go that route, please let me know and I'll get it worked out for you with the best quality possible.

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

What's your water temp when you begin to have fuel boil conditions? Possibly you need the engine to run cooler more than getting under hood heat exited? Hi flow water pump, coolant additives, etc...

Place a heat sink between the carb and the intake. My friend did it on his Holley/Edelbrock equipped 57 and it helped cool down the carb.
    You could wrap the headers to decrease under hood temps, but it would probably look crappy on the 55.

Before you punch louvers or add a scoop, yank the inner fender wells and go for a test drive or remove the hood and go for a spin. If that doesn't cure the hot engine issue, you have engine work to do and a scoop or louvers would have been wasted work done without a return on the intended fix.

16. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I haven't really noted what temp it has an issue around, but i'd guess about 200-210. It just seems like its more prevaliant when its been running for a while, nice and heat soaked. I'd love everything to run cooler no doubt, but i figured this was acceptable.
    Im running a weiand high flow, with water and hyperlube coolant, no antifrezze.
    I will be adding a wooden, or phelonic spacer soon as i can pick one up, I also have a roll of that aluminum fiberglass lookin thermal tape doo dads...
    I actually like the look of wrapped headers, but im not sure i wanna mess with fiberglass that close to my hand on plug changes. And im told it can cause um to weaken etc. or i would.

17. johnybsic

johnybsic
    from las vegas

I guess either way, i couldn't see all that heat in there being good for anything. Vegas can be brutal and it's a sweaty nervous pain to be stuck behind traffic with your loud and proud hotrod getting pissed off at you, saying -come on come on come onnnnnn.\

Ill wrap the lines etc, and report back if it helped at all. for future dudes sake.

18. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Be sure that the surrounding sheet metal of the radiator is sealed tight all the way across and top to bottom. A test run can easily be made with cardboard and duct tape doing the sealing. All the fan in the world won't help if all the air going in the front is bypassing the radiator core. This test solved cooling problems on my 40 Coupe, 57 Chevrolet, a friend's track nose T roadster amd a bunch of customer's cars over the year.

19. Muttley

Muttley

Louvers wont look right on that car at all.

20. Wildman1

Wildman1

Remove the inner fenders - nothing lost but the heat!

21. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

The laws of physics says that hot air rises. Working against the laws of physics is harder than to use them to your advantage - in other words, it is a good idea to vent the hot air up and out through the hood.
    Louvres (or some other openings of similar designs, possibly even plain holes) will do that fine while standing still, and at speed the air moving across the hood will help pulling air out through the louvres.
    A scoop may let air out while standing still, force air in at speed, and if other ways for the air to exit are restricted forcing more air in behind the radiator may reduce the air flow through the radiator, thereby causing the engine to heat up even more. The engine bay might be cooler, but with a overheated engine, that probably wouldn't make you any happier.

How about raising the air cleaner straight up on the carb so it's half way up through a hole cut in the middle of the hood? Okay, might want a better looking/diffrent air cleaner, but something like that sticking up through the hood with, say, a 1" space around it would let quite a bit of hot air rise out through the gap. The engine would also get access to cooler "outside" air, probably making it a bit happer.

Hope all that makes sense. English isn't my first language, after all... Don't mind if you have to ask what the h*ll I mean. ;)