Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cooling 289 Fords -" Gano Filter"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Dec 12, 2012.

1. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

More discussion here:http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73341 Looks like the GANO's company website is shut down,another company makes one that is improved that is in the discussion that may be worth looking into.Here in Arizona the water out of your garden hose has two issues that are bad for a cooling system a high alkali content and a high salt content which leads to deposits that attack aluminum.If you do add water use distilled or better yet the 50/50 mix.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. Dan I waxed most of your post to save a little bandwidth.

We used to call reverse flow back flushing and you could actually buy a setup to hook your garden hose to your system just for doing that. It was common in the time period of the cars that we all love and love to hate. I still do it as part of my fall maintence plan as well as changing over to winter oil (although winter oil would not be an issue this year as of yet).

Ya know thwere is no reason to drop money on a Gano filter about a year or so back we had a big thread on putting a pair of panty hose over the top nipple on your radiator. Panty hose is the only true traditional way to do it, well maybe a silk stocking with a seam would be more traditional. :rolleyes:

3. Yes,yes,yes, :D HRP

4. Not really related to the thread, but don't use tap or garden hose water in your cooling sytem guys. Gallons of Distilled water are a $1 at any grocery store.

5. Gerrys

Gerrys

Running water without antifreeze will cause the filter to work catching the rust created by the water. :rolleyes: Antifreeze has rust inhibitors.

A clean system will not need it. But since most cars have an unknowen service histiory it may be a good way to check for problems, It may also plug up with stop leak and crate a bigger problem.

6. rocketsled59

rocketsled59

Sport car styling a must for performance enthusiasts. Reduces driver fatigue.... Now if i could just draw an illustration of it....

7. Muttley

Muttley

So does the Water Wetter that I used. I didnt put any antifreeze in the car because it never gets cold enough here to need it. Maybe you didnt realize that some people live in areas that arent covered with snow eight months of the year.

Well guess what, my car had an unknown service history, thats why I bought one. It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  8. tedster

tedster

9. Gerrys

Gerrys

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Gerrys [​IMG]
    Running water without antifreeze will cause the filter to work catching the rust created by the water. Antifreeze has rust inhibitors.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    So does the Water Wetter that I used. I didnt put any antifreeze in the car because it never gets cold enough here to need it. Maybe you didnt realize that some people live in areas that arent covered with snow eight months of the year.

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Gerrys [​IMG]

A clean system will not need it. But since most cars have an unknown service histiory it may be a good way to check for problems.......

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Well guess what, my car had an unknown service history, thats whay I bought one. It worked for me, your mileage may vary.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

Antifreeze also raises the boilig point of water. Guess you didn't know that.:rolleyes:

You may want to check to see that it is protecting you engine.
    http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

Rust and corrosion protection allows for use of straight water in racing or reduced antifreeze levels in warm climates

10. Muttley

Muttley

Well you cant get much less of a reduced level than none. ;) :D It also has no shroud and a flex fan, does that conform to your standards? Since flushing the cooling system and installing the Gano filter & new radiator it never overheats.......honest injun. I dont really care if you use one or not, it's no skin off my nose.

11. This filter is a MUST if the motor has been tanked. Ford small blocks are cast in sand. When you tank the motor it removes the factory coating that seals the inside of the block. Over time small bits of sand come loose and start to plug the radiator. I have 3 SBFs and run a Gano filter in all of them. I clean them when the temp starts to go higher than normal. Each time they are full of crap. I used to just change radiators but now with the filter I just claen the filter.

12. Guess that is a good reason to buy a chevy, they haven't been cast in sand in 100 years. :rolleyes:

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Revers osmosis water is nearly as good as distilled, $3 for a 5 gallon at my local water filter store. Slightly higher at the grocery store.

14. rgfloor

rgfloor
    from oh

I have a 289 Ford and went to school with Clyde Gano........does that count??:confused:

15. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

Jazzbum has one on his ranchero. I've never heard of em before but it only makes sense because they are only advertised for 60's fords and I've never been into those kinda cars. I just saw it on his car at bobs big boy a couple weeks ago and he said it surprisingly works well. Pulls lots of junk out of the block or stuff circulating thru. I was thinking of getting one but they only make em in 1 5/8. A little larger and I would pick one up.
    I guess if you have a new radiator and a pre flushed engine you would need one. But some of us don't have that $ luxury
    If u need it, I'd say get it. If u don't..... Dont

16. READ WHAT THIS FELLOW HAMB SBF DUDE WROTE ABOUT GANO FILTER

Fuzzy Knight

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Re: Overheating small block ford.
    <hr style="color:#e5e5e5; background-color:#e5e5e5" size="1"> Background on SBFs These engines were cast in sand from the factory and sealed. If a motor ever gets rebuilt and tanked it takes the sealer off the block. As time goes by it will pull super small pieces of sand out of the block and start to block the radiator tubes. You need to pull the radiator and have it cleaned and rodded out. When this is done you need to install a Gano Filter in the upper radiator hose to stop all the small particals of sand. I have 3 small blocks, one each in my Falcon, Failane and my Roadster all have Gano filters.
    Good Luck!!