Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Barry Manilow live?AAAAHHHHHHHH! And you call yourself Motorhead? Lemmy would croak!

2. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I could be wrong, but it looks like a set up for a Ford Y-block, 239-312 type.
    Are the carb bases 3 bolt or 4 bolt?

3. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

If that had happened to me, I do believe I would have left skid marks in my skivvies! LOL

4. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I got such a kick out of reading this thread! Brought back lots of memories. There was/is? a junkyard near Chesapeake, Va. called Matthews Junkyard. Back in the '70s & '80s it had lots of '40s and up cars there, including a Hudson Terraplane, a '59 El Camino and a mid-50s Studebaker 2 door wagon, I think they were called Conestoga's. No engine but it was mostly complete. Would have made a great gasser.
    My buddy had a '54 Ford Woody wagon that the fuel rank had rusted through . Car was off the road because none of the repop companies made one. While searching for parts for another vehicle one day, we opened the rear doors of an old Suburban and there sat a tank for the Woody! We could not believe it!
    One last thought, I got the the chrome grill on the front of my '56 Ford F-100 (see avatar) for $20 at a junkyard. I'd just got paid earlier that day, and being in college at the time I was poor as a church mouse, but I bought it anyway. Ate mac and cheese and hot dogs for a couple of weeks, but I didn't give a shit, I had my chrome grill!

5. joeb1934

joeb1934

a guy at an auction last summer bought a building full of "stuff". digging around, i noticed a factory tri power setup. a little rough, but complete. went to go find him and another guy found my prize. he offered 10.00, and the guy said it had to be worth more. i offered 20.00 and he said okay. i had to borrow the money from a buddy to get it home. took it home, sat on it for a few weeks, and took it to the next swap meet. didn't do a thing to it, and ended up selling it to the guy i outbid for 200.00. i think it was a mid to late 50's j-2 setup. i think it needed quite a bit of cleaning, but i figured a 10x profit from the guy i outbid, along with the story,was enough to make up the difference!

6. joeb1934

joeb1934

i'm not sure the guy that bought it realized that it was the same intake set he had missed out on weeks prior!! everyone ended up happy.

7. Camm

Camm

1931 Model A coupe all steel and all there no rot or rust..........600 bucks

8. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Was walking around in the back of a junk yard here close to home. Was looking for some parts for a car and looked up and saw the strangest thing. Went go take a closer look and it was an ostreich in the junk yard right there in front of me. I still get a chuckle out of that one. Found a Chevy II on top of a bus once in a junk yard guess why it was up there. To keep sticky fingers off.

9. Found a 50 Merc 2 dr. with louvered hood, rounded hood edges , no rust , rolled and pleated seats. This was back in 65 and it sat there till it was finally crushed.

10. TigerDan

TigerDan

Scored a pair of Ford 428 factory cast iron headers, they were installed on a 390 in an F250 4X4. Took me about two hours to get 'em off, most of the bolts broke off in the process. Some of them are really tough to get to! Took 'em front and he charged me 75 bucks for the pair. I turned them over for...well, a substantial profit!

11. NONHOG

NONHOG

My 66 Barracuda, was still cool just a little less of it.

12. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

13. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I was just checking in on this thread, and I had almost forgotten...I have a recent one.

Still can't believe it, but I asked a wrecking yard for pictures of a complete
    1956 Pontiac Chieftain 9-passenger station wagon, when I got 'em...

he didn't even mention it is an A/C car!

That's almost as rare as finding a 1955-56 Chevy with A/C parts intact.

Look under the hood - like a time capsule, and the A/C stuff is still there.
    My plan is to get the whole thing.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  14. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Found a complete, less motor and trans, 65 Chevelle 2 door station wagon back in the early 80's in Bill's Wrecking Yard in north Sacramento. Coincidentally I was looking for parts for a 64 2 door wagon that I had just bought for $450 that was running with a 6 cylinder and 3 speed. Picked up the 65 for $300. Wish I still had them.

15. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

Oops...pictures...and an accessory windshield washer bottle, still hooked up!

Attached Files:

• AC_1.JPG
      AC_1.JPG
      File size:
      151.7 KB
      Views:
    • AC_2.JPG
      AC_2.JPG
      File size:
      197.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have found money under the dash of a car one time sitting on top of a radio . Wasn't much but was still free money !
    Also got tools left in a trunk too .
    Retro Jim

17. stationWAGONS

stationWAGONS
    from Vegas

I though this was kind of cool as treasure huntuing goes...

1958 chevy people...
    How often do you see a 1958 chevy (of any model) with a good hood still on it, and the 283 still there complete up to the 4-BL air cleaner, even?? $!

Attached Files:

18. Not a Y block Look at the cylinder numbers cast in the intake 1357 and 2467 that is GM. looks to be a olds to me. OldWolf

19. Found this long ago

Attached Files:

20. RoryShock

RoryShock
    from Western TN

My dad used to take me to junkyards all the time when I was a kid. We're both junkyard fans, and we used to talk a lot about having a yard of our own. Our favorite place to just go and browse.

Once I remember seeing a bullet-nose Studebaker that I thought was way too nice to be seeing in a junkyard. But I was just a kid then, so there wasn't much I could do about it. My dad loves the old cars but, being more of a backyard mechanic, wasn't so much into ground-up rebuilds.

21. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

36 ford coupe, I bought it when I was 16 in 1960

22. doubler

doubler

A mechanical fuel inj. set up for an early SBC- $25.00
    Crosstops and a zipgun in a glovebox
    Gag-ball and a whip in the trunk of a Jaguar

23. A 65 Mustang for $200.00 The trunk was filled with stuff including a .25 Pistol. I still have the Pistol but sold the car 20 years ago. Wish it was the other way around.

24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

My earliest cool find was when I was 13 I found a bunch of built and unbuilt models plus extra parts in a car at a junkyard,still have the AMT 65 chevelle AWB and since found all the correct parts to restore it.

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  25. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Best one I found was an old auto meter tach in a 70's econoline. I didn't have any tools on me (they were in the truck) but was able to undo the hose clamp with a dime I had in my pocket. $6 out the door on half price day. Too bad it didn't work

26. SOCAL PETE

SOCAL PETE
    from Ramona CA

I found Two Hemi's 392's This yard was so over grown. I had to go in early spring before the vines would cover everything. Everything from Aircraft engines to fire trucks. I found the Hemi's at the bottom of a huge steel pipe. Crawled in and saw the engines and then couldn't find then place again.

27. nummie

nummie

was picking for an old project when in high school in WI. came around an early 50s school bus and found 3 angry llamas. my brain still has a hard time computing that.

28. 10 seconds or so on Google with the casting number shows it's '57-'58 Olds J2, looks like probably the correct carbs and linkage, probably worth more than you paid for the car.

29. Nice score SLAMED 59

30. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

My cousin (lives in PA) took his empty cans to the local scrapyard, and saw a '50 Olds 303 lying in the dirt, complete with a standard shift flywheel/clutch, early Ford trans adapter plate, and homemade mounts bolted to the side. He bought it for $15.00, knowing I'd want it----good cousin!