Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing you have ever found at a wrecking yard???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jokerjason, Jul 23, 2009.

1. godlemmy

godlemmy

Got a pair of caddy Sombrero caps, a kaiser Darrin hubcap and a ton of stuff to build his 36 chevy. I really miss those days. It sucks when I gotta buy hose clamps and bulbs now.

2. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

My 95% rust free 1955 Mercury Montclair and a pair of 56 packard tail lights(same yard) image.jpg

mcnally351 and Maverick Daddy like this.
  3. You must be living right to find a Merc that nice in a wrecking yard.

4. Hemi j

Hemi j
    from Colorado

This is how my friends found it ! image.jpg

Pinstriper40 likes this.
  5. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Years and year, and years ago, 1970s, I was perusing the local yard for double hump heads, Muncies and what not when I noticed a pale yellow 1965 Chevelle with big block fender flags. A look under the hood confirmed it. At the time I was young, poor and into small blocks so I looked at it briefly and moved on. Back then big block Chevelles (or anything else) weren't that uncommon in junk yards and I had no idea of the rarity of a BB '65.. It wasn't hopped up in any way, no mags wheels etc.. Was it the real deal? Who knows, but I sure wish I could go back and check!

6. In 1962, Mongo, Indiana junk yard I found a Cameo glass bed, had no idea what it was.

7. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Around 1999 or 2000, I pulled a pair of 1956 California Plates (like those used in American Graffiti) from a 49 Ford sedan in a Wisconsin junkyard. 1 plate is somewhat rough, the other was spotless.

8. Not in a wrecking yard, but a scrap metal recycling yard, I found two big block Chevy rectangular port heads that I bought by the pound. Cost 5 or 10 bucks, I forgot what, but I sold them for 50 because they had Hardblock in them and I couldn't use them on the street.
    I found a great Buck knife in an old junker in a salvage yard a few years back. It looked nearly new.

9. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

You still have the 60 Pioneer wagon?

10. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I was laid off in 2005 for a while and made a deal with the owner of a old junk yard (was a body shop wrecker service, but the owner was retiring)I'd get 1/2 of what I sold as long as he didnt have to do anything. I was in hog heaven. Tried to sell the straight 8 out of a packard, sold a 65 GTO twice, a 53 Chevy truck, hubcaps from 1950s cadillacs,64 Catalina Safari stuff, a Tempest. When I found gainfull employment he showed me some stuff in the rafters I sold before I left.A olds tripower aircleaner, a box of new emblem for all kinds of stuff, radios,transmissions. Cut a quarter panel off a 72 Fury the Pennsylvania State Trooper association used on a patrol car they restored. The sad thing when I drive by it,I remember all the stuff no one would bid on.And the guy's health started going south as soon as he quit working. And my gainfull employment was as a truck shop manager at a chicken plant.I should have bought the business.

Cosmo49 likes this.
  11. Hunting around a local yard about 5 years ago another guy came in and was going to sell some parts to the yard owner. He asked me it I wanted them.
    BBC blower manifold and a rear sump BBC oil pan. $20 for both. Sent the manifold to ShakeyPuddin55 since he was looking for one. Guess he was glad to get a free manifold.

I have no use for BBC stuff , if it had been for a FE Ford then it would still be mine.

12. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

In another yard in Witchita falls Tx, there was a Kaiser with a Carson top, Mercury Grille, and six Buick potholes in its pearl white hood. Later in life, in Alabama I found a 1960 Caddilac Ambulance in a wrecking yard. It however was saved, and is being restored.

13. Maverick Daddy

Maverick Daddy

Chopped 2 door 51 merc full of bullet holes, on the drivers side, in Lee county Alabama..........

Pinstriper40 and volvobrynk like this.
  14. I found a Sucrets box (remember Sucrets) about half full of unset diamonds in the glove compartment of a Chevy Citation. I figured they had to be stolen, so I turned them in at the office. Hell yeah, they cut glass!

volvobrynk and Maverick Daddy like this.
  15. I saw this in a yard in Cedar Rapids on Wednesday.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420251394.672779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1420251414.829179.jpg

Walt

16. 72sst

72sst

I want that snake!

17. That '41 Ford looks solid and straight, very buildable car.

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

while looking under the hood of a 70s plymouth, I came face to face with a hissing oPossum. I like to have shat a cat. Yanked my head back, found the hood catch when I did that.The yard owner was worried about liability when I saw him with blood streaming out of a nasty cut from the latch. Man, I hate a possum.

19. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

years ago, outside Pliladelphia, Ms. I came across a old garage that had a bunch of cars stored down the hill, saw a 56 Merc Montclair, a 65 Dodge 880 convertible,and this weird wagon that had only the emblem "olympia" to give a clue about its identity. Stuff on the shelfs like a old teapot holley 4 barrel,.But the thing I wanted the most was a 58 DeSoto with a big block, two speed powerflite trans. I had a crossram at the time and thought the engine compartment would be big enough. All thet stuffis gone now thanks to scrap metal being so high a year or two ago

Maverick Daddy likes this.
  20. Aaron Franck

Aaron Franck

Mercman, where's that Willys at? K's? Do you go junkyardin' often?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. Yup. Back row at K's. It's a Ford. Yeah I try to know where old stuff can still be found. Getting kinda limited.

22. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

image.jpg Found this in a local yard, $250.00
    image.jpg Came with the Hurst shifter.
    I cleaned it up, replaced syncros, and seals.
    Numbers say it is a 1969 M21....I'm still pinching myself!

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. JimSibley

JimSibley

I just got a bell housing, clutch, flywheel and pressure plate for a baby nailhead last week at our local pull n save. It was in an old Opel manta of all things.

volvobrynk likes this.
  24. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Back in the late 70's/early 80's while still in high school, I went with a buddy to the local Pick a Part for something for his Coronet. I was wandering around killing time and came across what was probably a 53-54 Chrysler. I popped the hood and lo and behold it had a hemi in it. I couldn't grab my buddy and a hoist fast enough. We got it hooked up and when I crawled under neither I found it had tossed a rod through the side of the block. Being young and ignorant I just walked away. I didn't even realize until several years later that there were early hemis. In those days every high school kid was looking for a 426. I would guess it was a 354 or 331. What a dumb ass. At the very least I could have salvaged the heads.

25. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Bulletnose26 and Maverick Daddy like this.
  26. When I was stationed over in Hawaii, Fort Shafter had a little junkyard on base where cars abandoned by transferring soldiers ended up. My roommate needed a roof off of one to fix the rust in his dd's sunroof, so one Saturday afternoon we went over to cut it off. While we were there, we noticed a bright orange AMC Hornet with mags and a couple of other hot rod touches on it, so we decided to see what it had under the hood. He opened the hood and the first thing I saw was a yellow jacket nest on the underside of the hood. I instantly froze, while he took off running! He got stung three or four times, I didn't get any. We still laugh about the irony of a wasps nest under the hood of a Hornet! Oh yeah, it had a 6 under the hood! :-(

27. rfraze

rfraze

Complete 3-2 setup on a '49 olds Rocket, chrome air cleaners and all.

28. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Found my Hurst mags in the wheel pile of a local junkyard back in the late-'70's...no center caps, but the trim rings were there...$50 for the set of 4

29. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

A V-16 Cadillac chassis, no motor, A 20's RR chassis no motor but trans and rearend , Several V12 Cadillac bodies aND CHASSIS

30. Cad/Lasalle set up for Ford torque tube. Set up and the man wanted too much! Cad (Small).JPG