Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Coolest hot rod you inherited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by slim38, Aug 4, 2021.

1. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Someone posted this to local marketplace today. Wow! Imagine inheriting that. Got me thinking. What's the coolest hot rod you inherited? Post them pics. Screenshot_20210804-233329_Facebook.jpg

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

It's a 6 passenger coupe, according to factory literature.
    Nice of him to leave it to her.
    It'll scrub up nicely. That's a DeSoto grille from a '54, I think, '53 - '56 Olds backup lights for parking lights, and the stick-on trim they used to sell by the roll covering the holes for the stock side trim. The striping looks like tape ... fake spotlights & lakes pipes that aren't hooked up could be removed to help clean it up ...

Stogy likes this.
  3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not a thing, As much as I loved my dad and as good as he was to me I was really glad that I didn't get stuck with his bills when he passed.
    Truthfully I'd say that a trip to a good detail shop might have that car presentable enough for them to hit a few cruise nights and events and feel good doing it. Make sure it is reasonably reliable, safe to drive and go play show and tell while you figure out what you might want to do with it. I think that is the same exact green that my 51 Merc was when I bought it in 1963 but it had been repainted at some time.

Stogy and wicarnut like this.
  4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My avatar, I rather have dad though

flyin-t, Wowcars, WalkerMD and 15 others like this.

5. Out of all the hot rods I've inherited...

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Stogy and Doublepumper like this.
  6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I never inherited anything. Maybe @Moriarity will adopt me. :cool:

7. I have been written out of literally everyone's will. If I got it I got it on my own.

The upside to that is that I have never ever had to worry about making someone happy in order to get some chit for it.

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

My dad tried to give me his 36 pickup, but I told him to keep it. If he gives it up he will lay down and die. I told him he has a lot of life left.

9. The "hot rod" that I inherited is a little bit off topic Fairlane.
    My dad bought it new back in 67.

10. -Brent-

-Brent-

Man... most heartwarming thing I have read today.

WB69 and Stogy like this.
  11. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

That's funny, I was going to write pretty much the same, but I 'll just quote you, X38:rolleyes:

12. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well shit we can’t have that!
    To Beaner I leave my favorite wool socks!

safetythird, Budget36, Stogy and 6 others like this.
  13. 1940 Ford Deluxe "Woodie" wagon. My buddy had owned the car for 50+ years and it was his most prized possession. A year after he passed I got a call from his attorney advising me that he had left the car to me in his will and I needed to get the car out of the garage! I was there with a few buddies and a trailer the next day. I've been working to get the car back on the road in honor of my friend's memory. I plan to pay it forward and leave the car to a younger guy in my will when I die (he will not know in advance and be as shocked as I was).

14. belair

belair

I'd rather have my dad.

Attached Files:

WalkerMD, WB69, lucky ink and 9 others like this.
  15. Inherited? What's that?

16. 32fenderless

32fenderless

my uncle left this truck to me when he passed. I drive this daily until snow hits. I’ve put about 30k miles in it in 8 years. I love the truck but I’d rather spend one more day with him. When my folks pass my sister and I will inherit Mom’s ‘40 ford standard coupe and their ‘34 Chevy Vicky (1991 NSRA giveaway car).
    upload_2021-8-5_20-46-50.jpeg

17. I wish he left me the roadster or one of the Corvette's - the triple black 427 roadster he ordered would have maybe be second but the 1964 black coupe with white interior is right there. Funny he was going to leave me the newer Caddie - but as he got up in years and too stubborn to put a garage door opener on the garage - he had money just set in his ways - he would back it out to let it run awhile closing the garage door so he would wash it off the next day. Got to where he couldn't open the door and was leaving it outside which upset him a bunch Had him donate it to the Make a Wish folks. the # 5 entry full pic.jpg Aunt BA with 1st Vette.jpg

18. No one in my family kept anything when it came to cars. I just have to buy cars that other people inherit and then don’t know what to do with. My 56 was inherited by a co-workers brother when their dad passed. He kept it for 10 years, then they sold it to me. My oldest kid has already told me which cars he wants to inherit...

19. Technically I didn't inherit this car, Dad gave it to me about 6 months before he passed.
    image1.jpeg

20. 36cab

36cab
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I finished my dad's dream car for him. He had ben working on it for 40 years and he just got old and broke and tired. About 5 years after I finished it he decided to give it to me. Not sure if he was being generous or just figured I was going to drive it anyway and this way he did not have to pay for the gas or insurance! He was around for another 14 years after the car was done and he had a good time riding shotgun with me on my dime. I miss him a lot.

2 original - Copy.JPG

21. I ended up with Dad's '16 T touring when he passed. Fronty head, Winfield carb and cam, '27 wide drum transmission, Ruxtell 2 speed rear end, Rocky Mountain brakes, and 5 beautiful 20" Buffalo wheels that he straightened and re laced himself. Mom and Dad put a lot of miles on that old T on runs with the So Cal Model T club.
    I just couldn't keep it. Every time I looked at it, I saw Dad working on it. Was too damn hard. I sold it and gave Mom the money.

[​IMG]

Jalopy Joker, WB69, jnaki and 8 others like this.
  22. rtp

rtp

A 56 Chevy Belair 6 cyl.powerglide blue and white in and out.
    I bought in 89. I gave it to my dad because I beat his original 56 ,210 up when I was a teenager.
    When he past I got the Belair back just haven't had the spirit to do anything with it.

scotty t, Dave Mc, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  23. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

My old buddy Ernie Martin passed away last Sept., 20 days earlier he gave me his #8 Roadster. We built and raced our cars together, and since I sold mine some time ago, he thought I should have it, and the trailer. He was doing pretty well, but knew the end was coming soon, he kissed the hood just before I took it away. I miss you buddy !!!!!! Fast Lane track-t's 010.jpg 186.JPG 184.JPG

24. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

My Dad left me his 31 Roadster V-6 Powered, My older Brother left his 48 Ford Custom . My 33 will be my son's one day.
    IMG_0375.JPG

25. Marty, that photo of Ernie kissing his baby good by is priceless. What a friendship you two had!

saltracer219 and WB69 like this.
  26. scotts52

scotts52

I got my grandpa's 61 Studebaker pick-up. He gave it to me while he was still alive because he wanted to make sure it went to me and not anyone else. I asked him for it when I was like 5. I got it 30 years later.

stillrunners, Jalopy Joker and slim38 like this.
  27. slim38

slim38
    from Sudan TX
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

My dad tried to give me my grandads early 63 falcon fordor. I passed cause my grandads nephew wanted it more than me. I wish I would've taken it and made it a family cruiser. All it needed was a new starter. He had interior done already.

28. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Same here......

nochop likes this.
  29. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

Your Dad had a great taste in cars! That is the exact car that is on the top of my bucket list

scotty t likes this.
  30. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got three by default from my uncle. The one in my avatar, which I more or less grew up in. Well, still growing up I suppose, but... A '50 Plymouth business coupe; while not exactly a hot rod, it's a pretty neat old car. And, the '33 coupe which sat around way way too long waiting to get built. That's the car that we should have built together. He's no longer around, but the memories are; can't nobody take them from me!

mcsfabrication and Jalopy Joker like this.