Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cool idea for shipping large fragile items

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Binkman, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Binkman

Binkman

I just bought a mint '34 grille and the guy who shipped it to me wrapped it in bubble wrap a couple of times and then filled the box with empty plastic water bottles.
    The grille was in perfect shape after coming all the way across the country.
    It worked for me.

rjones35 likes this.
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Cool indeed. Good way to re-use them a few times before recycling. Gary

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

Good idea. Sounds like a lot of water bottles!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good idea, but a fully wrapped grille and a few cans of expandable form applied would be added protection IMO. Bob

seb fontana likes this.

5. I once recieved two flat antique headlight lenses from the U.S.A. in a business style envelope. Guess what :oops:.

6. G-son

G-son
    from Sweden

Creative. Around here I might choose to return the bottles for a 10-20 cent refund… but still, that's cheap packaging.

7. I had TWO fucking morons on eBay ship me trim pieces for my Ford in a box, unsupported. They came out of the boxes looking like hockey sticks. I got a 1/2 refund on 1 piece and salvaged it, the other I got a total refund on and sent it back. The water bottle thing wouldn't have helped me, but a great idea.

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

We have a crosscut paper shredder; the cuttings work pretty good for packing material. I always warm the buyer to be careful when unpacking, because those paper cuttings go everywhere. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. Had a guy ship me a radiator and shell for my 1926 Chevrolet. The filler neck of the radiator was smashed because he made no effort to support it in shipping. NOT HAPPY!

10. I bought a '32 Ford grille shell and insert from a fellow hamber several years ago and he did a excellent job, he constructed a plywood box and lined it with thin strips of foam, probably not the cheapest way of shipping but it sure is secure. HRP

11. Well, be a lot easier to clean up compared to those damn Styrofoam peanuts!

Bandit Billy likes this.