Register now to get rid of these ads!

cool garage heater/auto radiator heater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by emtr2, Feb 23, 2013.

1. emtr2

emtr2

found this awesome auto radiator/garage heater at an antique store...it runs on kerosene. you plug the hose in the back into the radiator of a model A to heat it up.

Attached Files:

2. Very cool...........how is the water pumped?

3. I can't see where this has anything to do with Hot Rods & Customs,. HRP

4. Steel A Rod

Steel A Rod

Very Cool!! Stuff it HRP

5. rockfish

rockfish

Vaguely looks like the front end of a car, hooks up to a Model A radiator and he's going to heat his shop with it while he builds a Doane Spencer inspired deuce.

If you really want off topic go post on the thread asking for home plumbing help in Phoenix.

Cool heater emtr2. Would look cool in a rec room or shop.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. Beau

Beau

7. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

Tradition without intelligence is not worth having. T.S. Eliot

Seems to be ironic.
    I liked the post. It seemed interesting because of the reference to A's. If I weren't attracted to it I would pass it and look at something about filling 32 fenders with authentic lead or such. It was something about throwing the first rock wasn't it?

9. marx

marx

10. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

that is cool ! I would love it in my garage...

11. historynw

historynw

I'm curious do you need the whole car.:rolleyes:

How does it circulate?

12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It probably works on a thermosyphon principle.

13. thats what i was thinking, a pump would have to move the water, real slow, to take advantage of the size of the radiator.
    that thing is cool [warm?]
    after reading the post again, is it used to heat the garage using an A radiator, or is it used to heat an A radiator in the winter for quick start ups?

14. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

I brought the popcorn!

Attached Files:

15. lawman

lawman

Now that is HOT !!!! LOL

16. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

:D Now that's some funny shit right there :D

Definitely gonna sit back and watch how this goes...

Oh, and the heater is really awesome, and relevant IMHO...

17. modeleh

modeleh

My grandfather told me when he was a kid living in Northern Alberta in the 30s and 40s, in the winter months they had to drain the cooling system of the car every time they used it. Not sure if it was because it got too cold for the antifreeze available back then or if they just couldn't afford it. He said if you wanted to go somewhere in the car, you would put a big copper pot full of water on the woodstove then wait half an hour or so until it was warm, then go out and pour it in the radiator, start the car and off you go. I bet many folks living in those parts of the world would have loved a heater like that. Thanks for posting.

18. GREASER815

GREASER815

Only bad thing is if I bought a heater like that I would have to get a model A to use with it. Try explaining that one to the wife!

19. i have a friend who commuted to work back in the day with a model A. he would only run water, do to cost, so he filled it every morning, drained it when he got to work [he was a train fireman] then fill it for the ride home and drain it when he got there.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You guys down south don't worry about having heat in the shop too much but in MA I imagine heat in the shop means he can work in the shop.

It's 40 outside right now an I'm thinking about firing up the bullet heater so I can work in the garage for a while.

With water running through a heat exchanger in the stove and piped to a radiator it would work to heat more area in a shop if you had a fan pushing air though the radiator.

21. txturbo

txturbo

There was no antifreeze back then....draining it was the antifreeze technology!

22. historynw

historynw

Must have sceared him off. I recall my uncle telling us how they used model T's for chores around the farm. From hoisting hay to the mow to pulling with a series of pulleys run off the rear.

23. modeleh

modeleh

I believe glycol was available at least by the 40s, if not earlier. Not sure how low of temps it remained liquid back then, but I imagine it wasn't as good as what we have today. I do know that the cars that crossed Siberia during the Great race of 1908 were running alcohol in their cooling systems.

24. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

I can remember the old folks talking about using kerosene as a coolant.It stinks for a while but that goes away.

25. emtr2

emtr2

here is the heater and the tag on the front..

Attached Files:

26. emtr2

emtr2

here is an old advertisment

Attached Files:

27. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

That's how it was done before anti-freeze. They would keep a pail of water near the stove so it was warm. Pour it in the car when they wanted to go somewhere and it would warm the engine so it would start. When it got really cold, they would drain the oil and bring it in the house too.

28. yes, he told me he warmed the oil on the wood stove once:eek: and that he had heard a story of it catching fire, so he did not do it again. by the way he still has the car and still drives it on occasion.

29. garvinzoom

garvinzoom

Awesome heater and awesome stories about the old days. Thanks guys!

30. Say's keeps an ordinary size garage warm, that would be about the size of a model T. I like it.