Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cool dual quad air cleaner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodyankee, Jul 17, 2017.

1. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Had a stock 283 air cleaner, and wanted to utilize it on my dual quad set-up. It was fairly easy, so I thought I would pass it along. Just tig welded a 18ga plate in for the air filters to seal on and added another snorkel to the lid. Hope ya like it! P1010009 (1).JPG P1010002 (1).JPG P1010003 (1).JPG P1010008 (1).JPG P1010010.JPG

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Great job! Much better than some chrome pos made in china. I made a similar one for my 57 Chevy only used 4" round tube I rolled and welded and a 5"rolled circle that the filter goes in with the base and top aftermarket. Then use hoses to connect to the fresh air inlets above headlights on a 57.

Pat

3. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Quick, dirty n simple all while being effective! I like it.

hotrodyankee and dana barlow like this.
  4. good job making the air filter adapt to the duals, and a great way to hide them.
    for me, the look of the duals is the cool factor tho.......

5. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Great idea, nice work.

loudbang and hotrodyankee like this.
  6. Paint_Rep

Paint_Rep

Well done! The top looks like a 65 L-79 Malibu lid, which were chrome.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and hotrodyankee like this.
  7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Very nice job hotrodyankee! You could take it another step forward, and make up some cold air/ram air hoses. The first pic; imagine it with some raised, white letters and tire size numbers to make it look like a tire, and make the center look like a mag wheel. Just a thought, due to the tread-like appearance (like pie crust slicks). It's a bit hokey I know, but I'm surprised no one has done it. A friend of mines son, takes old style valve covers, and modifies them for the LS engines (they're just "covers" on top of the LS covers to hide the coil packs). I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

hotrodyankee and loudbang like this.
  8. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

aircleaner.JPG

Nice idea, but are you sure it's sealing? This picture would indicate that it is not.

9. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

That's some cool shit right there! Lippy

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Give the nuts another turn LOL. Lippy

loudbang likes this.
  11. I like it. Recycling at its best.

12. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Thanks. the carbs seal all the way around. I painted the air cleaner, let it sit for about half hour, felt the paint on the bottom side and felt dry to the touch, set it on the air cleaners to see how it looked. let it sit over night, and I guess the paint was not dry enough. Didn't have it tightened down at the time.

13. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Cool stuff right there. I went through hell trying to adapt an air cleaner for my 455 Olds ended up using a billet piece that I wasn't found of. After twenty five years I'll be removing the billet piece and removing the two fours. Going back to a single four set up for a change! Joe

hotrodyankee likes this.